Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2020, 07:39 AM   #1

Freelander Replace Vent with Fan

Hi!

2018 Freelander 27QB. We have the standard pop-up vents throughout, and would like to replace with MaxxAire fans. Question is where can we get the 12v from? I have sent multiple emails to Coachmen asking for the wiring diagram with no response - not even a "Go Scratch!"

So has anyone done such a project? I see many YT videos on the installation, but no one ever goes into the power sourcing.

Thanks in advance for your help!

- Nate
nravid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:49 AM   #2

I don't know which one you're talking about specifically, but the only vent I didn't have a fan in was the one over the dinette.

I found when I had to replace the vent cover over the dinette, that there is 12v running through the ceiling at that point. Don't know where it goes, but probably to the led ceiling lights.

If your other vents have the same vent cover type, there may be a 12v wire running through underneath the vent cover. You'll have to take off the interior base to see a little bit. Might have to take the vent out to see it all.

Happy hunting.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:18 AM   #3

Thanks for the quick response...

Of the four vents in the coach, only the bathroom has a fan in it. The rest are strictly pop-ups with screens. Did yours come with the fans from the factory? We bought ours used.

I was hoping to do the one over the dinette and possibly over the rear bed.

If there is a 12v wire for the ceiling LEDs, is it switched - i.e. will it only have power when the lights are on?

I will definitely take a peek under the interior cover to see if there is something in the area!

I appreciate your info - and all of the knowledge being shared here.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:13 PM   #4

We bought ours used and the bedroom, bath, and vent over cab had fans installed. I did not take them out to see where they get their power from and I don't know if they are factory installed or user installed.

If the wire I'm thinking is 12v it's probably switched for the led lights. I didn't experiment....

If you do go ahead with the vent upgrade over the bed, I suggest a remote controlled fan. Climbing on the bed each time to open and turn on/off is a pain for us. We don't use it much.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:46 AM   #5

Jim,

Agreed... At 5'6", it is tough to climb up on the bed to just open the vent. We are looking to replace with the remotes.

Again, many thanks for the input!
Old 02-21-2020, 11:43 AM   #6

So I removed the inside cap. FOund that there are two capped wires right at the vent, a blue and a white.

I assume that the white is positive and the blue is negative, and that they are always hot. The switched wires for the ceiling lights are purple and white.

I will have to pull the caps off the spare wires and verify, but it looks promising!

Thanks again!
Old 02-21-2020, 01:32 PM   #7

In my Sunseeker, I found those wires. They are to wire a fan. Be sure to check the polarity, the White may be a ground and the blue may be positive.
2017 Ford Fiesta toad
Bill and Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 03:45 PM   #8

In my flagstaff I ran a wire from the vent opening to the 12 fuse panel. It wasn't that hard using a wire snake through the ceiling channels and down the wall to where the fuses were. There's usually a spare fuse port in the panel. Then I installed a maxi deluxe fan in the opening works great.
Old 02-21-2020, 05:50 PM   #9

On our Sunseeker, I changed all the vents to remote controlled fans. Pulled the surround down and the 12 volt wires were there. Replaced that worthless little bath fan with one thats 3 out and 2 in!
Old 02-21-2020, 10:07 PM   #10
Ham Call N8SAC

The white will be - negative the other color will be + positive. Just about all TT use white as - negative. As they also have AC system and white is natural. Just remember will save you some time.
Maxwell D Pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:57 PM   #11

I have bought Fantastic fans before, although the Maxaires are good also... there are many models so check out all the models... all blow out with 3 speeds and some also suck in with a switch, and some have remote controls for short persons that can't reach the ceiling. My fantastic fans are whisper quiet.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:04 PM   #12

The remote control fans are variable speed or temp controlled either exhaust or intake. I will have 2 running, 1 in and the other out. With the hood covers they also shut off if rain hits them and they do close. To me a win/win if away from your unit and a sudden storm comes up.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:25 AM   #13

Thumbs up

Thank you everyone for your replies! I appreciate it, as that will certainly save us a lot of trial and error!

Great info here!
Old 02-27-2020, 09:28 AM   #14

I added two fans, one in loft and one in the bedroom both were just pop ups. When took off the vent screen and trim there were wires running by the opening. I just tapped the positive and negative and put in the fan! Both work great and took maybe an hour or so
sa1jzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 08:10 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa1jzm View Post
I added two fans, one in loft and one in the bedroom both were just pop ups. When took off the vent screen and trim there were wires running by the opening. I just tapped the positive and negative and put in the fan! Both work great and took maybe an hour or so
So we started replacing the fans. We have a total of 4 fans in the Freelander, with one over the cab which we do not want to replace.

There are SO many questions I would love to ask a Coachmen engineer about. Like why power three fans, but not the main one in the RV? Especially when you are running power right past it to the front vent!

The fan over the dinette/galley is the ONLY one which does not have power fed to it. GRRR. Of all of the locations, that is the one I would EXPECT to have a powered fan!

So we will be getting a plastic wire chase and connect to the power drop which is wired over the cab.

Oh well! The joys of DIY!

Tags
fan, vent