Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2022, 06:45 AM   #1

Freelander to CrossTrail?

I'm considering downsizing my 30ft Freelander to the CrossTrail series, specifically wanting something on the Ford Transit chassis. Would like to hear from those who have Crosstrail's on the Transit chassis as to the pro's and con's of this set up. We're ok with less room, but I really want the benefits of the Transit chassis which now include all the safety features not available on the Econolines.
donkro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 12:05 PM   #2

I think that they are so new, you're going to have trouble finding anyone with that rig.

I do like the safety features and if I were thinking of trading, that would be my choice. They have some that are about the size of your current rv and it looks like the only thing you'd be losing would be the overhead bunk. The advantage is having a better view without that overhang. Our RAM Promaster doesn't have the overhang and we love it.
They do have a passenger swivel seat which is a plus. Our RAM has both seats that swivel an that makes a great seating area.

Now your next challenge is to find one....
https://coachmenrv.com/class-c-motor...ail#floorplans
Old 04-14-2022, 12:19 PM   #3
Site Team

I think that there's only a couple of members here, that own a CrossTrail.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 05:20 PM   #4

Hey! New member here and I just got a 2022 crosstrail 20CB AWD. It is hard to find one and I had to drive back home from over 2000 miles away.

Since it's my first RV ownership, I may not give all the A-A comparison. Feel free to ask questions about the car as I am also learning myself.

What I like
- It drives like a van instead of a truck (I rented a 30ft C before), in terms of handling and ride comfort. I am still comfortable driving at speed limit even in Taxes. (70+mph)
- The ACC feature(along with other driving assistant feature) on the ford transit. This helped me so much on the 2000+ miles back home. You just set it and it could adjust the speed with the traffic without touching the brake/gas padel. It doesn't work well in stop-and-go traffic though.
- The AWD definitely helps the acceleration and handling a bit I think. (I drove through a winter storm on the way back home and it handled well).
- Size, it's shorter(24ft) and narrower(91inch) than a C. The wheels can definitely fit into a normal parking spot but the rear end may block the way depending on how deep the spot is. In generally, I could squeeze in if I have to (like the DMV parking lot)
- Mine does come with a bunk bed at the head so it's still a class C function wise. 6 seat belts, my family of 4 could sleep in, normal bathroom(though it is tiny), decent fridge size.
- Fuel economy, from the 2000 miles trip, I can get an average of 10MPG. (through strong wind, winter storm, mountain climbing, 65+mph speed). I believe it's slightly better than a c-class but not 100% sure. The AWD does hurt the mpg a bit.
- (I was under the impression that the unit comes with 25 Gal fuel tank, but after a few gas stops, I think mine is actually 35 Gal tank but not 100% sure. It's better given the RV will definitely need more gas for the same travel distance)

What I don't like
- Only when I got this, I realized it still has the rubber roof like most C-class instead of an one-piece or others. I just need to do more maintenance I guess.
- No ladder so I need to purchase a new one and carry it.
- Quality(I guess it's true for every RV). The unit has some wiring/powering issues I am still trying to figure out. It does state it's solar ready but I didn't find any connection on top of the roof. I am contacting the manufacture to get it resolved as my original dealer is too far.
- Almost no capability of towing. (Hitch is only 2000 lbs). It's not a big deal for me but just cons when compared with a c-class.

But overall, as a first time RVer, I cannot wait to take it out with the family on the first coming trip!