Old 01-05-2019, 02:51 PM   #1

Gas filling inlet housing's black paint has vanished!

Please check out the photograph for what I am going to try and describe.

We purchased a 2015 Leprechaun last April and the gas filling inlet housing was black. We went on a 32 day trip from western NY out to the west coast and back. It was during the return trip that I noticed the black paint was disappearing. Also, during this trip I noticed the octane levels on the basic gas were 85 vs the 87 that we would normally see on the east coast. I just mention this but it may have nothing to do with the black paint coming off. The picture below shows the current condition of the paint.

Has anyone else see this problem? If so did you correct it? How?

Any ideas on what cause the black paint to vanish?

Any suggestions for repainting it?

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181223_105136.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	194028  

125992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:04 AM   #2
Head Rambler

My initial thought was damage from ethanol, but since it's not a flex fuel vehicle you probably haven't used E85 in it. Besides there's no rundown like there would be in that case.

Looks like the paint is fading from UV exposure to the sun. Not sure why it wasn't already faded unless it was, and it was repainted with cheap non-uv resistant paint.

To fix it I would take the screws out and pry the plate away from the wall enough to get some pasteboard or cardboard behind it and then sand it well all over and get some good quality paint (maybe even some undercoating paint) and spray several thin coats on it.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
My initial thought was damage from ethanol, but since it's not a flex fuel vehicle you probably haven't used E85 in it. Besides there's no rundown like there would be in that case.

Looks like the paint is fading from UV exposure to the sun. Not sure why it wasn't already faded unless it was, and it was repainted with cheap non-uv resistant paint.

To fix it I would take the screws out and pry the plate away from the wall enough to get some pasteboard or cardboard behind it and then sand it well all over and get some good quality paint (maybe even some undercoating paint) and spray several thin coats on it.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely repaint it, but I hope to prevent it from happening again.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:54 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Any chance you used something to clean that had bleach in it?

I've seen bleach leach the color out of plastic.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=83
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Any chance you used something to clean that had bleach in it?

I've seen bleach leach the color out of plastic.
No, never used bleach, but I don't think it is plastic. I believe it is some type of metal.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:43 PM   #6

Plastic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post

It's really hard to get most paint to stick to plastic. Walmart has some spray paints that are designed for plastic, mostly intended for lawn furniture.

It's also hard to get paint to stick to bare metal. If this fitting proves to be metal, use a metal primer first, then an enamel. These are also likely to be available at Walmart and certainly at auto parts stores.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:04 PM   #7

In response to your octane question. The theory goes that the lower air density at higher altitudes in mountain west areas, the octane level of 85 is equivalent to 87 at lower elevations. So the mountain west states will usually have regular at 85 octane. You can look on-line as there are lots of discussions/arguments about that theory.
lmiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:17 PM   #8

IMO....cheap paint. Sand and repaint with a good quality spray paint. Probably last longer.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:16 PM   #9

Spray it with some 303 and see what it looks like. Mine is plastic from Ford and they fade. As far as 85 verses 87, higher up in altitude less octane required.

Tags
black, gas, inlet, paint