Old 05-05-2019, 01:51 PM   #1

Generator primer

Newbie here, how long do I hold the primer switch before I try to start my generator? I donít want to flood it out so I end up cranking the starter multiple times.

JWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 03:43 PM   #2

We all will need a bit more info to help out. You can go to the user control panel and edit your signature to include some basic info on what make and model of RV you have and any special modifications. It will help a great deal with getting you the help you need from the cornucopia of knowledge all the members here have. They are a great resource.

What is the make and model of the genset?

Old 05-05-2019, 04:23 PM   #3

2019 Coachman Freelander 21RS has a Cummins 4000 generator. No mods...
Old 05-05-2019, 09:40 PM   #4

This is from the Cummins manual and covers all RV generators:
Starting and Stopping Procedures
Your Cummins generator can be started (except 3200) and stopped from the integral control panel on the generator, or from the optional remote control panel inside the vehicle if your RV is so equipped.
**It is a good practice, before starting the generator, to turn off air conditioners and large electrical loads. If the unit has not been started in the last several hours, prime by holding the stop button on the remote start panel or the control on the generator itself. Note: Prime is available for all current production models, but may not be available on some Legacy products.

To start - Press and hold START at the interior control panel or outside the set.
- Quiet Diesel: When you press START, the control verifies several parameters, including temperature. Glow plug burn and fuel pump prime happen prior to the starter engaging. On a cold morning, first start, this ĎPrimeí could take up to 30 seconds before you hear the starter engage. This is normal.
- Donít over-crank with no start ó maximum 20 seconds of cranking; allow the starter to cool for at least two minutes between attempts.
- Allow generator to run for 30 seconds prior to applying large loads. In many cases the RVís automatic transfer switch has this delay built in.

To stop, press the STOP button at the control panel or at the set.
** It is a good practice to turn off air conditioners and large electrical loads and allow the generator to run for three to five minutes prior to stopping. This allows the generator to cool down.
AL
1997 F-350 CC PSD
BigHomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWallet View Post
2019 Coachman Freelander 21RS has a Cummins 4000 generator. No mods...
Are you sure it a Cummins? Coachmen always uses Onan that I know of, it should be a onan 4000, is your Freelancer diesel ? Or gas?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Are you sure it a Cummins? Coachmen always uses Onan that I know of, it should be a onan 4000, is your Freelancer diesel ? Or gas?
Same difference. Cummins owns Onan.
jvalich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:45 AM   #7

Well then it's gas, when you press the prime switch on your panel you will hear the pump start, or just count to 5 , hit the start button only hold for about 5 secs. On mine I have to do that sequence mostly 3xs before it will fire from cold, if it's warm I still will prime it and then hit start , but once it's warm I normally just have to do it once. I have a 4000 onan, no place on the unit or in any of my material does it mention Cummings, but from what has been posted I guess there under Cummings umbrella. Hope that helps.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:37 PM   #8

I hold mine for 15 seconds but it never works on the first time. On the first time, it sound like it needed more fuel. I do it a second time and works fine. Mine is cummins.
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:51 AM   #9
World Wide Wanderer

I have a light on mine. I hold the prime button until the light goes out, then attempt to start. From cold, it takes a few tries. Warm not as many.

I have the Onan 4000 gasoline powered unit.

One thing to check is making sure the little arm on the choke isn't binding on the housing. I will see if I can get a picture later.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I have a light on mine. I hold the prime button until the light goes out, then attempt to start. From cold, it takes a few tries. Warm not as many.

I have the Onan 4000 gasoline powered unit.

One thing to check is making sure the little arm on the choke isn't binding on the housing. I will see if I can get a picture later.

Aaron
The choke sticking was a problem that has been brought up here before.
If after a few tries the genny still dosen't start, try removing the cover and try holding the choke open with one hand and hitting the start/prime switch with the other. Pretty much guarantee it will start right up.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:46 PM   #11

Generator primer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwisconsin View Post
I hold mine for 15 seconds but it never works on the first time. On the first time, it sound like it needed more fuel. I do it a second time and works fine. Mine is cummins.

Didnít start it for a few weeks....had to hold the primer for about 30 sec ....chugged a little..then another 15 sec prime and fired up.

Tags
generator