Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2022, 08:58 PM   #1
Mav

Gray going into the black tank

We have a 2017 Freelander 27QB and had it winterized by Camping World. Took it out this past week and the black tank filled after 2 days. When we went to dump we had nothing in the gray tank as it all flowed into the black. Any idea why this can happen. It worked fine when we used it last fall. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 09:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
We have a 2017 Freelander 27QB and had it winterized by Camping World. Took it out this past week and the black tank filled after 2 days. When we went to dump we had nothing in the gray tank as it all flowed into the black. Any idea why this can happen. It worked fine when we used it last fall. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Both grey and blank tank dump valves left open with a cap on the sewer connection?
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:03 PM   #3
Mav

Nope that did not happen. Both valves were closed with the sewer hose connected. Pulled the black tank first when done closed the black valve and opened the gray. Nothing came out. Had done dishes and taken showers so water should have been in the gray
Old 05-21-2022, 08:00 PM   #4

Need more info.
Do you normally fill black in that time period?
Was sewer hose connected whole time?
If so then, perhaps, grey gate valve is leaking. Grey never filled with use because it just ran out.
Old 05-21-2022, 09:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tip10 View Post
If so then, perhaps, grey gate valve is leaking. Grey never filled with use because it just ran out.
The grey valve leaking would be my guess. Of course, if it's leaking into the black tank, that's another problem. I don't know if those valves leak from the outside in....
Old 05-21-2022, 09:06 PM   #6

Open the gray valve and turn on the water. see if it runs out. Then close it and see what it does.

My bet is on leaking gate valve, too.
Old 05-21-2022, 09:45 PM   #7
New here, old elsewhere

The gray has to be open slightly or leaking. Even if it were left open, it would not go in with the black water with a hose attached. I'm thinking it went down the drain.
Old 05-22-2022, 08:29 AM   #8
Mav

Normally we do not fill in that amount of time. After reading everyone’s replies am thinking we have a leaky valve
Old 05-22-2022, 08:31 AM   #9
Mav

Thanks for the quick responses, do think we have a leak. Will be checking it out. Thanks again!
Old 05-22-2022, 10:02 PM   #10

Is it possible you have more than one gray tank and there’s a separate valve for it. My 20cb has two gray tanks….one for shower and a separate one for two sinks. Each has its own drain valve
calvin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 01:14 PM   #11
New here, old elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin99 View Post
Is it possible you have more than one gray tank and there’s a separate valve for it. My 20cb has two gray tanks….one for shower and a separate one for two sinks. Each has its own drain valve
That was my first thought as well. I looked up that year model and everything shows it as one gray tank.
Old 05-23-2022, 05:24 PM   #12

Quote:
That was my first thought as well. I looked up that year model and everything shows it as one gray tank.
Seems there’s alot of missing or wrong information online. I’d suggest crawling underneath to figure out what’s what. I had to have someone pour water in each drain while I listened to the flow in order to figure out which drains went to which tanks. I wrongly assumed the bathroom sink and shower went to one tank and the kitchen sink to the other. It turned out the shower had its own tank and the two sinks went to the other.

I wouldn’t be surprised if you find another tank, possibly with a missing valve handle. On mine a previous owner replaced the black handle with a gray one! It doesn’t affect its operation, but definitely important to know!

As a general rule, I’d recommend crawling underneath anyway and try to identify tanks, exposed plumbing, exposed wires, etc. I’m frequently amazed at how little owners know about their own rigs. I’ve learned alot by physical inspection vs manuals and online forums. Sometimes people with similar models have different options and coachmen manuals are lacking
Old 05-23-2022, 08:13 PM   #13
New here, old elsewhere

Quote:
Seems there’s alot of missing or wrong information online. I’d suggest crawling underneath to figure out what’s what. I had to have someone pour water in each drain while I listened to the flow in order to figure out which drains went to which tanks. I wrongly assumed the bathroom sink and shower went to one tank and the kitchen sink to the other. It turned out the shower had its own tank and the two sinks went to the other.

I wouldn’t be surprised if you find another tank, possibly with a missing valve handle. On mine a previous owner replaced the black handle with a gray one! It doesn’t affect its operation, but definitely important to know!

As a general rule, I’d recommend crawling underneath anyway and try to identify tanks, exposed plumbing, exposed wires, etc. I’m frequently amazed at how little owners know about their own rigs. I’ve learned alot by physical inspection vs manuals and online forums. Sometimes people with similar models have different options and coachmen manuals are lacking
Could be inaccurate for sure these days. Looking underneath might reveal another drain, but you can't see anything else without taking down the cover. Opening the drain while someone runs water in each area will certainly reveal what goes to that one!
Old 05-23-2022, 09:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwbfl View Post
Opening the drain while someone runs water in each area will certainly reveal what goes to that one!
I didn’t mean you should open the tank valves. Rather, I had someone pour water into the sink and shower drains while I was underneath and listening to where the water went in order to identify the two gray tanks. The gate valves stayed closed.

Once you identify the tsnks, it’s fairly simple to visually see the pipes leading to the gate valves. I highly suspect you have a second gray tank based on your description.

Btw, to more easily get underneath I use something similar to this mat https://www.amazon.com/Reversible-Ma...dp/B00V94ZE84/. I found one at Walmart and looked specifically for something that’s smooth, which makes it easier to slide underneath (a poor man’s creeper). It provides a small amount of cushion. Prior to having that, getting underneath was a difficult (and painful) process and I ruined a few t-shirts and got scraped up a bit. Look for one that’s smooth and not too expensive as it will get trashed if you use it a few times. You could also use a big piece of cardboard in a pinch, but I find the mat to be a good investment.
Old 05-24-2022, 12:08 PM   #15
New here, old elsewhere

Quote:
I didn’t mean you should open the tank valves. Rather, I had someone pour water into the sink and shower drains while I was underneath and listening to where the water went in order to identify the two gray tanks. The gate valves stayed closed.

Once you identify the tsnks, it’s fairly simple to visually see the pipes leading to the gate valves. I highly suspect you have a second gray tank based on your description.

Btw, to more easily get underneath I use something similar to this mat https://www.amazon.com/Reversible-Ma...dp/B00V94ZE84/. I found one at Walmart and looked specifically for something that’s smooth, which makes it easier to slide underneath (a poor man’s creeper). It provides a small amount of cushion. Prior to having that, getting underneath was a difficult (and painful) process and I ruined a few t-shirts and got scraped up a bit. Look for one that’s smooth and not too expensive as it will get trashed if you use it a few times. You could also use a big piece of cardboard in a pinch, but I find the mat to be a good investment.

You have to remember that many owners have a hard time finding that noisy vibrating fresh water pump. I'd bet even fewer will stick their head underneath and find where running water is stopping. Anyone can see water coming out of the drain valve though.
Old 05-24-2022, 12:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwbfl View Post
You have to remember that many owners have a hard time finding that noisy vibrating fresh water pump. I'd bet even fewer will stick their head underneath and find where running water is stopping. Anyone can see water coming out of the drain valve though.
These user forums are for asking questions and providing advice/solutions. I posted what worked for me. Everyone is free to do whatever works for them.

Some people will try DIY. Others will pay big $$ to have an “expert” figure in out for them (often the expert will collect the $$ without solving the problem). I prefer to DIY, which comes in handy when traveling and there’s no expert within walking distance.

I hope you’re able to solve this particular mystery. Personally, I highly doubt the “slow leak” theory. Dripping would be visible.

When/if you figure it out please post what you discovered for the benefit of others looking for answers
Old 05-26-2022, 05:41 PM   #17

Gray going into the black tank

Quote:
Both valves were closed with the sewer hose connected.
Quote:
Personally, I highly doubt the “slow leak” theory. Dripping would be visible.

Not all of us have x-ray vision
Old 05-26-2022, 05:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tip10 View Post
Not all of us have x-ray vision
X-ray vision isn’t necessary to see dripping water or a puddle. If you don’t want to look underneath your rv, then don’t look. Sounds like blinders are more your style.

Quote:
Both valves were closed with the sewer hose connected.
Considering you’re not the OP, perhaps you should re-read this thread. I’m suggesting there might another gray tank. If so, there would be THREE valves and the OP hasn’t yet found it. Could be the handle is missing.

If indeed there’s another gray tank, there’s at least 2 ways to locate it and one would be very messy.
Old 05-26-2022, 08:10 PM   #19

Quote:
X-ray vision isn’t necessary to see dripping water or a puddle. If you don’t want to look underneath your rv, then don’t look. Sounds like blinders are more your style.

Considering you’re not the OP, perhaps you should re-read this thread. I’m suggesting there might another gray tank. If so, there would be THREE valves and the OP hasn’t yet found it. Could be the handle is missing.

If indeed there’s another gray tank, there’s at least 2 ways to locate it and one would be very messy.

Okay, sure. I stand corrected.
The OP obviously has an additional grey tank - one that’s remained hidden from him over at least a couple of seasons of usage since, as he stated, everything was fine last fall….

Reading is fundamental, comprehending more so.

I’m sure you’ll have a blissful day.
I’m out.
Old 05-28-2022, 02:13 PM   #20

Quote:

Our 2021 27QB Leprechaun has three shut off valves. Two black and one grey. There is a black behind the right rear wheels. The other black and grey are at the hookup pipe on the left rear side under the coach.

We have found the bathroom sink goes into the black with the toilette. The kitchen sink and shower go into the grey.
767driver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank