Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2019, 07:13 PM   #1

Hard to believe!

Bought our 2019 Leprechaun sixteen months ago . Today while getting ready for our trip I noticed that our ceiling vent had what looked like a big crack , upon further inspection we have three of those vents and ALL are cracked and very brittle. I can not believe the short time it took for these vents to deteriorate! Had planned to check out the roof when we return in October, that would have been about six months since last checked. Would have spoiled our trip had I not found this. Why use such an inferior product ! The plastic bubble over the shower still seems solid , but is going to fail like the vents? Haven’t seen any other posts with this problem. Just wondering if anyone else had this problem? Our last mh had vents that held up for several years. Just venting very disappointed!
Stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:21 PM   #2

Ah, another person venting on vents! Ha ha, just joking around. Yeah, they are pretty flimsy. I’d install covers over them, that way you can leave them open whenever you want.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
Ah, another person venting on vents! Ha ha, just joking around. Yeah, they are pretty flimsy. I’d install covers over them, that way you can leave them open whenever you want.
I have two fantastic fans with covers plus the A/C . Three more vent covers ? I bought Camco vent lids at CW hoping for better quality. They say unbreakable, and UV protected. Well see !
Old 09-06-2019, 09:28 AM   #4

There is a current thread in the forester forum with info. Replacing vent lids is pretty easy. I just replaced mine on 2017 and also added maxair rain covers.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:10 PM   #5

Installed new vent lids, thought I needed only two until I put the living rm slide out! Found fairly easy to replace . While on the roof I checked caulking, and cleaned roof with spic and span . Tomorrow I will treat with protect -all . I wii have my 303 to spray all plastic covers. I have two fantastic fans with covers plus the a/c , the three vents I think are to brighten the living area. The one in the bathroom does have a fan . My thought is a bit much ! Just sad that the manufacturer would us such an inferior product !
Old 09-07-2019, 07:36 AM   #6

vents

Our 2018 less than 8 months old all center vents crumble to dust.
Went to camp world got replacements , would have been warranty but storm coming could not wait.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190526_160433808.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	362.2 KB
ID:	214395   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190526_160732877.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	214396  
Carl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl17 View Post
Our 2018 less than 8 months old all center vents crumble to dust.
Went to camp world got replacements , would have been warranty but storm coming could not wait.
Yep mine crumbled while removing them! I bought the camco vents , had on last MH, and they lasted longer than a year. We’ll see? While on the roof I checked the a/c and the other two covers , so far they seem uneffected still plyable and color not faded.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:04 AM   #8

When I did the vent lids on our 2007 Jayco in 2009...started cracking, I found a set on etrailer that were UV resistant. I put those on in 2009 and in 2017 when we sold the TT, the lids were still soft and pliable even without any additional covers.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:15 AM   #9
DW's 401(k) Plan

First thing I did when I bought the Sunseeker was put covers over the vents. No problems.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:41 AM   #10

Here's something to consider and I didn't even think about it till my co-worker told me about their friends that they camp with all the time. The new unit the friends bought...2018-2019 ?? can't recall right now, has a "LOW PROFILE" A/C on the roof...Coleman I think. They added vent covers to their to the TT and forgot one little important thing. The vent covers were taller than the A/C unit and changed the "Height" of the TT. It was just enough that they thought they could squeeze under a low railroad bridge as the posted height was enough for the height of the TT (without vent covers)...NOPE ! Scraped the covers off the roof. Just something to think about if you have a Low Profile A/C on the roof.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stearn View Post
Bought our 2019 Leprechaun sixteen months ago . Today while getting ready for our trip I noticed that our ceiling vent had what looked like a big crack , upon further inspection we have three of those vents and ALL are cracked and very brittle. I can not believe the short time it took for these vents to deteriorate! Had planned to check out the roof when we return in October, that would have been about six months since last checked. Would have spoiled our trip had I not found this. Why use such an inferior product ! The plastic bubble over the shower still seems solid , but is going to fail like the vents? Haven’t seen any other posts with this problem. Just wondering if anyone else had this problem? Our last mh had vents that held up for several years. Just venting very disappointed!
Our vent cover disintegrated during a moderate rain and wind storm letting water into the bathroom; it was less than 2 years old from the build date.
Replaced it with another and put a maxaire vent cover over that. The only lingering effect was mildew in the bottom of the towel cabinet where the wood frame absorbed rain water. Treated with Clorox cleaner & bleach; all better now.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:17 AM   #12

If I were to cover the three vents with covers I would have six total counting the a/c . On a 26’ ? I don’t think so . The camco lids I bought said uv protected. Hoping that will get longevity out of them. Just disappointed that a manufacturer would use such an inferior product . Especially with the possible damage they could cause!
Old 09-07-2019, 11:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stearn View Post
It's all about saving money , seems manufactures have switched to the cheap china made hangs vents instead of the ventline which are just a bit better . china bomb tires and china bomb vent lids . camco makes a nice poly carbonate replacement not to bad in price about $17 on amazon
MR.M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:55 AM   #14

Did I loose something here why would you cover your AC at all they must mean vent covers no ?
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 01:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfo111 View Post
Did I loose something here why would you cover your AC at all they must mean vent covers no ?
Maybe I didn’t explain it right ? My 26’ Leprechaun has 5 vents on the roof plus one air conditioner it has a cover, there are two fantastic fans one up front and one in the bedroom . The fantastic fans have maxair covers over them . One of the three vents is in the bathroom with a fan the other two are over the kitchen and living area. So the air and the fantastic fans total three covers they add about 18 inches to the roof. I just think covering the other three would be over kill.
I almost forgot there’s a sky light over the shower. That still seems fine.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:11 PM   #16

Curious were they open while travelling at anytime?

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
Curious were they open while travelling at anytime?
Matter of fact we have never opened them . We have used the fantastic fans . That’s why I was so surprised ( but glad) when I noticed the crack on the one In living area . Not using them they didn’t get any attention. Think all the boxes are checked, then find not so! Lesson learned for me, I try to be pro active , missed this one!:mad
Old 09-07-2019, 07:48 PM   #18

Put on vent covers after the repairs if needed your roof takes a beating like tree branches and heat of the day plastic can only take so much of the sun razes plus if you forget and leave it open rain can't get in.
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:38 AM   #19

Lost all 3 on my Coachman Freelander. Replacement lids appear made much better. My first motor home and very disappointed with quality control and fit and finish!
JWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:26 PM   #20

Funny i just saw this. Did a quick precheck, heading out tomorrow afternoon on a trip. Looked up and saw this. Thankfully i happened to look up. I never use these vents. Hopped up on the roof and figured i could duct tape it overnight and the vent literally crumbled like a potato chip in my hand. Checked the other and it's just as weak, but no cracks yet. Threw a tarp over the open vent hole for the night. Gonna be headed out to the dealer in the am. No time for Amazon.
Can't imagine the mess i would have had speeding down the highway.
Bought the
2018 Coachmen Freelander new last year.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190912_173934.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	214792Click image for larger version

Name:	1568337843556.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	214794
dafoot2 is offline   Reply With Quote