Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2020, 06:50 PM   #1

How do I access the shower p-trap for a 2018 Coachmen Prism

I think the shower p-trap in my 2018 Coachmen Prism is broken or leaking, but I am unable to easily access it to check it out. There's a small panel under the shower, but it's pretty small, so it's difficult to get to the shower drain and p-trap. I can see water leaking from where the drain connects to the pipe (which I think is the p-trap). An RV mechanic says that they will have to remove the entire shower to get to it. I can't imagine that there's really no other way to access it, but I've taken a look and can't seem to find any other access panels either. Is there some secret panel I'm missing?
JanelT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:42 PM   #2

I don't think so. We have a small access panel on the front of our shower near the floor. Luckily we have a friend able to do the contortion necessary to do the repairs. I don't think we could talk him into doing it again.
Now he repairs things professionally and I think he used some special tools that were longer than normal to reach the trap.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:27 AM   #3
Site Team

Which model Prism do you have.
I don't know that any of them have any access, but a couple of the models have access doors at the shower that could be used to access under the shower by removing a panel.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:56 PM   #4

Thank you all. I have a 2018 Coachmen Prism. It does have the small panel under the shower that I can open (and that is how I can see water leaking from where the drain connects to the tube/p-trap). The problem is that I can't get to it to understand why it's leaking. I can get my arms in and my hand on the p-trap knob thing, but it doesn't seem to turn easily. I think I will just have to have the shower taken out to get to it.
JanelT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:41 PM   #5

Shower leak

Ours was leaking at the slip joint. You might try putting your phone on video and running the shower while you hold the phone under the floor and point it around slowly to see if you can discover exactly where the leak is. You can stop the video at any frame while you’re watching it
Rick g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:03 PM   #6

From underneath?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanelT View Post
Thank you all. I have a 2018 Coachmen Prism. It does have the small panel under the shower that I can open (and that is how I can see water leaking from where the drain connects to the tube/p-trap). The problem is that I can't get to it to understand why it's leaking. I can get my arms in and my hand on the p-trap knob thing, but it doesn't seem to turn easily. I think I will just have to have the shower taken out to get to it.
There have been users who have complained that the hole through the floor is much larger than it needed to be. If yours is made this way, can you get to it from beneath the trailer?

You might have to remove the covering and insulation (if any) to get access. If the covering is "Coroplast" (looks like corrugated cardboard but made of plastic), some folks cut three sides of a square, pulled open the flap, worked, and taped it closed. Best to leave the front edge uncut.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:10 PM   #7

New opening

You can cut a LARGER hole in the front of the shower and cover it with a larger Cover.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:10 PM   #8

Most RVs don't have traps in the shower due to space restrictions. Rather, they use a one-way rubber bladder.
Old 12-28-2020, 12:23 AM   #9

I have a Coachmen 2150 Prism 2018. Does anyone have plumbing diagram for the Grey water connection from the sinks and showers? My unit seems to be very sensitive to leveling. With an empty Grey tank, sometimes my shower won't drain. If I open the grey water dump valve it drains immediately. There could also be a problem with a vent valve to the grey water tank? Water from the sinks seems to get to the grey tank OK. Be nice to know if the shower actually has a P trap and not a one way bladder valve. The certainly is not much room between the shower floor and grey water tank?
buzz.graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 07:21 PM   #10

Might have answered my own question about a P trap on the shower in a 2018 Prism 2150. The base of the shower has a label. "Remove the waterless trap before using a mechanical drain-cleaning devices. Waterless trap can be damaged." Pretty much says it all, no P trap. How to gain access is still an open question? This waterless trap was not opening, now OK
Old 12-28-2020, 08:36 PM   #11
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz.graves View Post
Might have answered my own question about a P trap on the shower in a 2018 Prism 2150. The base of the shower has a label. "Remove the waterless trap before using a mechanical drain-cleaning devices. Waterless trap can be damaged." Pretty much says it all, no P trap. How to gain access is still an open question? This waterless trap was not opening, now OK
This is what your waterless looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HepoV Waterless Waste Valve.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	245156  
Attached Images

Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:17 PM   #12

Shower waterless trap not opening easily

I have a 2018 Prism 2150 with a CB. My waterless trap in the shower is sticking shut, water won't drain easily. Once open it drains fine, but is a real hassle to get it open using the palm of my hand as a plugger. Is there a liquid you could pour in the drain that would prevent it from sticking shut? Or is it time to replace?
Old 01-26-2021, 09:11 AM   #13

If my trap sticks close and it will, I just use a plunger one time and it starts working again, now if my unit has sat awhile I do it before I leave, so I don’t have any surprise.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:14 AM   #14
Site Team

The best thing to do is pull the trap and clean the rubber well. Just be careful not to tear the rubber.

If you can't pull it, get it drained and then pour a tiny amount of vegetable oil in the drain. You want just enough to coat the outlet so the rubber doesn't stick together.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:47 PM   #15

You know thinking about it, I have 3 of them, but the one that sticks all the time is the kitchen sink only, that’s kinda of weird. Might try that oil thing.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 06:07 PM   #16

Since some showers don't have room for a trap, they use a Shower Floor Backflow Preventer. Essentially, it is a rubber bladder that opens as the water goes through it and collapses if the water backflows. If that's what you need, they're on Amazon for about $14. https://www.amazon.com/LAMONDE-Showe...a-812886548356

Tags
coachmen, show, shower