Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2021, 05:57 PM   #1

How to prevent water from getting into floor vents in bath?

For Mirada 35es, vents are on floor including bathroom.
How to prevent water from getting into floor vents beside toilet in bath? Is there a way to cover them and make them waterproof?
havefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 06:17 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

There must be something I don't understand about your rig... why would there be water running into the floor vents and why do they need to be "waterproof"?

We have had floor vents in just about every bathroom in most every rig we've owned. Never an issue. Maybe a few drops here and there but never thought it needed waterproofing.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 06:25 PM   #3

X2 There should be no water (other than a few splashes now & then) aside from damp mopping on the floor. Water leaks anywhere even on the floor are a death sentence to an RV subfloor.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 07:35 PM   #4

In case of bath water leaking or toilet overflow happened somehow (e.g. flushing toilet by mistake when black tank is already full), it would be very bad for unclean water to get into floor vent. Especially during summer time, not heat is needed, and the vents on floor should be closed. Also kids may play water in bathroom, and water can be on floor. Better to be waterproof, if it is a simple thing to do.

Many brands do not put vents on floor any more, especially in bathroom.
Old 01-31-2021, 07:50 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by havefun View Post
In case of bath water leaking or toilet overflow happened somehow (e.g. flushing toilet by mistake when black tank is already full), it would be very bad for unclean water to get into floor vent. Especially during summer time, not heat is needed, and the vents on floor should be closed. Also kids may play water in bathroom, and water can be on floor. Better to be waterproof, if it is a simple thing to do.

Many brands do not put vents on floor any more, especially in bathroom.
Do you have a list of the brands that "do not put vents on floor any more, especially in bathroom"?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:32 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I think your worry is unfounded and much ado over nothing.

If you really want to 'waterproof' the floor you are going to have to remove the register (vent) and patch the hole with flooring (of the same type) along with the use of sealant.

I know of no type of floor register that is waterproof and if you flush your toilet until it runs out on the floor, you need to better understand/maintain the black tank instead of 'waterproofing' the floor. If that happens, overflow in the register would be the least of my worries. You'll have liquid running under the vanity, the shower and under/along the walls where it can never be removed.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by havefun View Post
How to prevent water from getting into floor vents beside toilet in bath? Is there a way to cover them and make them waterproof?
Have you considered getting a bathroom rug and cutting to fit? You can remove it as needed.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Do you have a list of the brands that "do not put vents on floor any more, especially in bathroom"?
It parent company forest river FR brand FR3, Georgetown. Other brands: jayco, winnebago, thor, grand design, etc. Maybe not every floorplan, most of floorplans I have seen. Personally I like vents not to be on floor.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:04 AM   #9

The Mini Lite/Micro Lite series don’t have vents in the floor.

WRT the possibility of flushing the toilet with black tank full; well, yes. However, if you are going to own and operate an RV you have to realize it is more like the International Space Station than it is your house. You and your little “astronuts” have to undergo a little specialized training in the systems so unfortunate accidents don’t happen during your camping missions. Plenty of YouTube videos available to help with that.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:44 AM   #10

Use a bathroom throw rug to cover the vent when splashing may occur?
I definitely believe this is over thinking a non problem. What past experience is causing you to worry about this? Most RVs have vents in the floor, especially larger ones.
We have had many RVs with all ages of kiddos and guests. Not once did it ever occur to me to worry about bathtub/toilet splashing getting into a floor vent.
If you have a leak major enough to run into a floor vent, the vent will be the least of your worries!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 01:47 PM   #11
Dahagen

I have a Mirada and when cleaning debris out of the vent (after unscrewing the vent) I noticed I have a small hole to the outside on the bottom of the vent in the bathroom. The hole was under the black material lining the bottom of the vent.
I didn't put it there, so FR must have.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 02:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Grand Design
boogiejack75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 02:20 PM   #13
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I think your worry is unfounded and much ado over nothing.

If you really want to 'waterproof' the floor you are going to have to remove the register (vent) and patch the hole with flooring (of the same type) along with the use of sealant.

I know of no type of floor register that is waterproof and if you flush your toilet until it runs out on the floor, you need to better understand/maintain the black tank instead of 'waterproofing' the floor. If that happens, overflow in the register would be the least of my worries. You'll have liquid running under the vanity, the shower and under/along the walls where it can never be removed.

X2. I couldn't have said it better.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 02:41 PM   #14

The problem with covering the vent is that you then don't get any heat from it. I realize that this says I'm getting old and soft, but I kind of like to warm up the bathroom when I go to take a shower. Just me.

By the way, thanks to all for one of the most amusing threads I've read here in some time.
Old 02-01-2021, 03:49 PM   #15

We swapped out the plastic vents for metal ones and cover it with a magnetic cover. We keep all the vents covered, unless we need to use the heater, to keep dirt and other items out of the ducts.
jannjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannjim View Post
We swapped out the plastic vents for metal ones and cover it with a magnetic cover. We keep all the vents covered, unless we need to use the heater, to keep dirt and other items out of the ducts.
Great idea. IF a register vent is raised above floor with cover, it will work nicely. Which one do you have?
https://www.wayfair.com/home-improve...-retw1002.html
Old 02-02-2021, 02:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Gordon View Post
The problem with covering the vent is that you then don't get any heat from it. I realize that this says I'm getting old and soft, but I kind of like to warm up the bathroom when I go to take a shower. Just me.
Well.... if a rug won't do.... how about a floor vent diverter? That should keep the splash away from the vent...
https://www.amazon.com/Accord-APFRDF...ag=googhydr-20
Of course, if the vent isn't magnetic, you might need some waterproof double sided tape.
Old 02-02-2021, 09:31 PM   #18

We just have the cheaper vent that is non-adjustable, looks like the original, but just metal so the cover will stick to it. Got it on Amazon.
jannjim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, vent, water