Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2015, 08:26 PM   #41
Certified Curmudgeon

Glad to help.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:41 PM   #42

Ducky, I'd love to see your gen compartment doc and center console too! If you don't mind...

Going to get the coach this weekend from Indiana...
jjd74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:02 PM   #43
Certified Curmudgeon

Jjd74,
I sent you a PM regarding your inquiry.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:15 PM   #44

Just picked our 30BDP up from the factory service center yesterday. While there going over things I was asked if we had any problems with our main slide operating properly. I told them the slide had operated by its self once at the dealers. Ends up they had had to replace the controller on ours. Seems it opened on them all by itself. Funny thing is I had asked the dealer to replace it because the wires kept falling off. They never did.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:03 PM   #45
L2R

A bad controller was our slide out issue. $606 was the bill but was under warranty.

Glad to have it back so I can do some more things that I have been waiting to do.
So far so good.
L2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:40 PM   #46
L2R

Update to the kitchen slide moving on it's own.

The dealer told me that a controller was the problem, it was replaced and problem solved.
'BTW', the tech saw a leak in the same compartment and he put some silicone to seal it up.

Today, I took the RV out and after filling it with gas, the auto step was acting weird, I turned on the house battery to get it to retract.

50' later and 20' from the highway, the slide opened under power.
They sent a tech to help get it closed so I could drive it back to them.
Just 20 minutes of holding open the door and wiping off the water allowed the slide to close under power. Now the slide is tilted with the bottom not totally closed.
They pulled the wires so it could not get a signal to move.

Come to find out, the "oh by the way, the compartment has a leak" was actually the problem. FR told them that this is the 2nd time that excessive condensation (water) was the conductor that caused the slide to move without power and E brake not engaged. They recommended that silicone be used to seal up the gaps, add a vent and replace the rubber seal around the door.

In effect, the tech made it worse by sealing it up so it was getting no ventilation.

So I have them lying about the root cause.
They sent me out on the highway with a very real safety issue.

In the morning, I will have their attention, they know I know what happened.

My concern is whether there is any structural damage to the slide, the motors, teeth or rack. I don't want to find out 3 years from now that something finally fails only to find out they didn't this right.

I am also suggesting a 12v fan be installed instead of just a vent so it runs with the key on.

Anything else that I should be concerned about would be appreciated.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:44 PM   #47
Certified Curmudgeon

Wow! That is not good. The likelyhood of structural damage to the slide is remote. It would be more likely that there is no damage because it was not "forced". As for the misallignment, that was most likely caused by a failure to actuate the controller properly. Once the slide is fully extended or retracted the controller should resync the motors. At the same time, the stall setting should be the governing control over the movement limit. Excessive moisture in the electronic controller is not good. Air flow may help but keeping the wet out will help more. My first approach would be to stop the leak, serious ventilation next, then damp rid to remove the remaining moisture. With the compartment sealed and dry, your problem should be eliminated. I am sure that a long discussion envolving the pros and cons of vents and fans could follow but do you not feel that if you fix the leak you will solve the problem? The controllers operate normally in all different kinds of compartments without fans.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:47 AM   #48
L2R

Duck,

I had to digest this myself and it became clear that FR and the dealer were not addressing the root cause. As you pointed out, the issue is where is the water coming from? It hasn't rained in days, it was 74 degrees and sunny yesterday. So that is the challenge. I am less likely to agree to a vent because that is asking for more moisture.

When the tech helping last night told me the slide opened on him twice, it slowly dawned on me that they handed me keys to the RV last week with someone knowing it could happen again while driving. So I have zero confidence in this group, not sure but thinking I need to escalate this to bring this point home. I have a list of things that will be done to my satisfaction with a thorough walk thru before I take delivery of it again. Thanks for the feedback. You are right, other compartments are dry, I am wondering if the a/c and condensation from it is somehow traveling over to that location but it doesn't explain it happening over the winter. There has to be another leak somewhere.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:54 AM   #49

Oh boy, that sounds a mess. I logged in to the forum to see if I could get some tips on why my step is no longer extending to read this!! L2R, where is the water leaking/visible? We also had a leak in the slide along the top seal which ended up pooling water in the compartment closest to the door. That compartment was perpetually wet - and I wonder if not some of that was water condensing on the roof and dripping down the side of the slide and then in to the compartment. I will say, knock on wood, they appear to have corrected our leak - you took your unit to Bob Jewell? Hope this is sorted out quickly.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:55 AM   #50

Meant to add, look at your "squiggles along the slide track. Assuming they look intact and undamaged, you can feel good that there were no damage to the "teeth" along the lippert slide.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:20 AM   #51

I inspect my tracks every time I operate the slide now that they destroyed one the first time they operated it for me, I just do not trust that they will not fail again, and before I bring it in I check to see if the coach is level with the auto leveler, I also noticed under the hood on the right side of the coach there is a water level there, which is good, I never knew what they used to get info for leveling the coach, not sure if it is actually water, but some kind of liquid anyway
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:14 PM   #52
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer55 View Post
...I also noticed under the hood on the right side of the coach there is a water level there, which is good, I never knew what they used to get info for leveling the coach, not sure if it is actually water, but some kind of liquid anyway
I have not seen this gem and if it is what you say it is, that is not how the LCI level-up finds level. That function is manually programmed. Soooo, which is the right side? You could say door side or off door side or passenger side or drivers side and I would know. Right side depends on where you are and which way you are facing. Or, you could post a picture
Old 04-01-2015, 03:46 PM   #53
L2R

I don't know where the water is coming from but it has been level and dry here for a few days. I suspect it is a leak coming off the slide.

All in all, good to find it now while it is under warranty and before severe damage is done.

They acted like they could care less so I sent an email with a list of expectations including a thorough walk thru and explanation of each thing done while showing me each item listed.

I figure I have 5 months tao learn all I can and get them to own all they will so when the warranty is gone, I will have most of this under my belt.

Bad day today but I have learned a lot about the rv and this dealership.

I know now to always ask, what exactly did Forest River recommend. Did you do everything required?
Old 04-02-2015, 06:14 AM   #54

hey duck, I could be wrong, it is not like it has not happened before, looking into the front grill it would be on the left, it has blue poly line going to the clear plastic tube which is partially filled with a clear liquid, at least what I thought was a level gauge, if the lci does not use a level of some sort haw does it know where to find level, even every pc at every plant I have worked in had to have one source of level to read a reading accurately, or any weight, the lci would have to have a source to find a level somewhere I would think, I am always willing to learn and willing to back track my comment to one more familiar with the systems at hand , and also willing to learn from anyone, anywhere, I can and will stand corrected, and can also ask the management to remove my ignorance from this thread, and in the future leave the replying to those who know what they are talking about ,,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
I have not seen this gem and if it is what you say it is, that is not how the LCI level-up finds level. That function is manually programmed. Soooo, which is the right side? You could say door side or off door side or passenger side or drivers side and I would know. Right side depends on where you are and which way you are facing. Or, you could post a picture
Old 04-02-2015, 06:26 AM   #55

have you spoken to nate hedges, I have spoke to him several times, and he has gave me options on where I could get my coach fixed by reputable people that he deals with, I have talked with him about my papered wood bubbling and all on the cabinets, and he has referred me to a shop here where I live if my dealer does not make me happy, they are 5 1/2 hours away, he is also willing to find a door holder for my entry door, because of the door has to be straight out 90 degrees for the awning to be extended, and our door did not come with anything at all, and because of the wind we now have a nice dent in the door, the ones I have found on line and here are not long enough to keep the door at a 90 degree for clearance of the awning rails,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2R View Post
I don't know where the water is coming from but it has been level and dry here for a few days. I suspect it is a leak coming off the slide.

All in all, good to find it now while it is under warranty and before severe damage is done.

They acted like they could care less so I sent an email with a list of expectations including a thorough walk thru and explanation of each thing done while showing me each item listed.

I figure I have 5 months tao learn all I can and get them to own all they will so when the warranty is gone, I will have most of this under my belt.

Bad day today but I have learned a lot about the rv and this dealership.

I know now to always ask, what exactly did Forest River recommend. Did you do everything required?
Old 04-02-2015, 09:43 AM   #56
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer55 View Post
hey duck, I could be wrong, it is not like it has not happened before, looking into the front grill it would be on the left, it has blue poly line going to the clear plastic tube which is partially filled with a clear liquid, at least what I thought was a level gauge, if the lci does not use a level of some sort haw does it know where to find level, even every pc at every plant I have worked in had to have one source of level to read a reading accurately, or any weight, the lci would have to have a source to find a level somewhere I would think, I am always willing to learn and willing to back track my comment to one more familiar with the systems at hand , and also willing to learn from anyone, anywhere, I can and will stand corrected, and can also ask the management to remove my ignorance from this thread, and in the future leave the replying to those who know what they are talking about ,,,,
Hey Hammer,
Here is how the motorized level-up finds level:
https://lci1.com/assets/content/supp...d-leveling.pdf
Page 10 is where you will find the process.
The control box on your unit is located in the forward compartment on the ODS
just in front of the level-up unit. Pics are posted below so you can see it.
Also pictured below are pics of the location where you described a liquid leveling sensor. One blue poly line goes to the temp control and the other is a vaccume line for valve that controls the airbox. Please post a picture of what you are referring to if you do not see it in the pics I posted. We will discuss the rest if your post later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	72818  
Old 04-02-2015, 09:45 AM   #57
Certified Curmudgeon

Pic 2
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	95
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	72820  
Old 04-02-2015, 09:46 AM   #58
Certified Curmudgeon

Pic 3
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	110
Size:	297.2 KB
ID:	72821  
Old 04-02-2015, 09:48 AM   #59
Certified Curmudgeon

Pic 4
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	94
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	72822  
Old 04-02-2015, 10:09 AM   #60

I know there is a brain, or controller, that controls the state of the coach, I think the controller would have to get info from somewhere around the coach to know where level is, a level input from some thing to tell the controller to extend the jack to a certain height, so I was mistaken to say it was liquid, thats ok, please don't take my words anyway but that I was wrong to say something I have no clue as to how it operates, for this I am sorry, I was just surprised that they would use a water level, but they didn't so end of story sir, thanks for correcting me, I need that every now and then, "CHEERS"

I will just sign out of the commenting on that stuff, and keep my posting simple, like on going and coming, to and fro, lol