Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2018, 05:32 PM   #1

Is trailer mode necessary?

Took shake down trip towing our Equinox on a tow dolly. It seemed that when I was in trailer tow mode the rpms went up. We have the 260DS Leprechaun with chev 6.0 . Would appreciate some education on best way for towing? We were mostly on two lane hwy 55 mph speed limit , most of the time with curves the speed was more like 50, 1500 RPM without the trailer assist on. Trailer assist on RPM went up a couple hundred ?? Our last mh was a class a 8.1 with Allison 6 speed it did not have the tow assist.
Stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 05:38 PM   #2

With the Chevy 6.0 in your Leper towing a EQnox,USE the "Tow/Haul"! Youroo!!
Old 11-01-2018, 05:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stearn View Post
Took shake down trip towing our Equinox on a tow dolly. It seemed that when I was in trailer tow mode the rpms went up. We have the 260DS Leprechaun with chev 6.0 . Would appreciate some education on best way for towing? We were mostly on two lane hwy 55 mph speed limit , most of the time with curves the speed was more like 50, 1500 RPM without the trailer assist on. Trailer assist on RPM went up a couple hundred ?? Our last mh was a class a 8.1 with Allison 6 speed it did not have the tow assist.

Necessary/required?

Depends on the load versus tow vehicle ratio. The instructions that came with my Titan indicated it should always be engaged when the weight of the towed vehicle passed a certain percentage of the Titan's weight.

I have a separate temperature gauge on my tranny, one that reads actual temp in degrees F, and when I forget to engage the "Tow/Haul" mode the temp climbs rather rapidly. I also notice that the throttle isn't as respinsive as the tranny shifts into higher gears than are desired for the speed/load.

It's just like when towing with a standard transmission. You leave the tranny in the same gear longer before upshifting. Ditto for what happens in your auto tranny. As for using the "Overdrive" (top gear) I go ahead and use it when I am on a long flat or slightly downhill stretch of road or when I have a stiff tail wind. I keep an eye on temp and downshift to the direct gear. Helps a little with mileage but not a good idea if your tranny temp rises too high. (mine has an extra Long (brand) plate type tranny cooler so my transmission temp averages 160 degrees or less, even when the outside temp is considerably higher.)

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:22 PM   #4

I don't use the tow/haul assist at all. Over the years I've found it much better to shift manually. Whether towing or not, don't be afraid of higher rpms and lower gears. Higher rpms help keep transmission & engine cooler and provide more power.
I've noticed in the past that tow/haul waits too long before shifting up or down. When heading uphill I shift to lower gear sooner than tow/haul would and it's easier on the tranny. I've towed a fifth wheel with Chevy 2500 pickup 6ltr/6 speed, and now a Coachmen 24' Freelander Motorhome on Chevy 4500 chasis with 6ltr/6 speed. The truck & fifth wheel had a sweet spot for gearing at 3rd & 4th gears. The motorhome's sweet spot is 4th & 5th gears. By sweet spot I mean that's the gears I use mostly. Do use 5th & 6th when going downhill for just a bit better mileage.
May take a bit more effort to shift manually but it becomes pretty intuitive quickly.
Dano5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:42 PM   #5

If you are on flat lands, there is not much need for it. However, on hill country, yes.
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:57 PM   #6
Retired and Loving Life!

Send a message via MSN to Alan F
I use mine all the time. I like the downshift when braking. I especially appreciate the brake assist when towing my Jeep.
Alan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:14 PM   #7

When towing use tow/haul mode. It's standard equipment for a reason. If you drive in too high a gear towing the trans and engine oil temps increase.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:20 PM   #8

I drive with the tow mode and the tranny locked in 5th gear.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:03 AM   #9

Hubby is a mechanic and we use tow mode more often then not, he also says it keeps tranny temps down which is a good thing.
Jane1550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:55 PM   #10
World Wide Wanderer

I use tow/haul most of the time. My chassis is loaded to 90%+ of GVW if that ain't hauling I don't know what is!

I do have the E-450 with V-10 and the 6 speed automatic.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:40 PM   #11

Well after a1400 mile trip, I found that using the tow assist made quite a difference, in performance and gas mileage. Thank you for your posts.
Stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:36 PM   #12
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stearn View Post
Well after a1400 mile trip, I found that using the tow assist made quite a difference, in performance and gas mileage. Thank you for your posts.
Using Tow/Haul or not? Also what does quite a difference mean?

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer