Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2024, 02:29 PM   #1

KayN outlets not working

I recently purchased a 2021 Coachmen Freelander 21’. I have a converter but my outlets will not work when I am not hooked up to electricity or using generator. Batteries do run lights. GFCI in bathroom is not tripped.
KayN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 02:46 PM   #2
Site Team

Unless you have an inverter, then your 120 volt AC outlets will not run off batteries.

Please read this thread link below that explains it. You may be confusing the difference between a converter vs an inverter which is very common for new RV'ers.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...nt-152813.html

I want to go to Bora-Bora, but I’m too Pora-Pora.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 04:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayN View Post
I recently purchased a 2021 Coachmen Freelander 21’. I have a converter but my outlets will not work when I am not hooked up to electricity or using generator. Batteries do run lights. GFCI in bathroom is not tripped.
Hey Sorry, to learn about your issue. Thinking you have another GFI under the KITCHEN SINK, as we do in our Galleria. Here are some links that may help. When you said the GFIC in the bathroom works, that's good news. I'll check your owner's manual and post good or bad below this post.

This Guy who also has a coachman put together a very helpful website.
Click Here for tip on Electrical

and here is the link to your Freelander, on the bottom of the page in BLACK on your left is the OWNERS MANUALS,Click Here for Freelander info

Owners Manuel for a 2021 Freelander: Click for OWNERS MANUEL

This may be what you are looking for watch the video as I'm back before the post timed out on me: Click Here for Video and GFIC information
DogMan635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 04:11 PM   #4

Quote:
It sounds like your rig is operating correctly.
Outlets will not work unless you're plugged in to electricity or running the onboard generator.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 04-21-2024, 04:16 PM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
If you’re not familiar with A.C. voltage versus D.C. voltage, that could be your problem. If you’re confused about a converter versus an inverter, that could be your problem. Let’s assume you DO NOT have an inverter.

If you’re talking about no power from the electrical outlets…..like in your house…..they WILL NOT work unless you have shore power or your generator is running. That’s A.C. power. Also, your air conditioner , microwave, and water heater on electric won’t work.

From your batteries…..D.C. power…..your lights, exhaust fans, power awning, outside lights etc should work.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 04:21 PM   #6

Welcome to Forest River Forums

KayN

I'm from the Sunshine State, on Florida's west coast.

Make sure to, check both upper and lower MENUs as this is a large Forum. On the second MENU click on "USER CP" and fill in as much RV information as you can, this will help others who see your post for help, can in-turn check your USER CP to give you a little quicker response to your question(s) for help. Doing this will save time on follow-up questions. As most needed help questions come back to RV Make, Model, Name, information.

If you need a USER MANUAL, both Forest River and Coachmen have them online for most all RVs models/units back about five to seven years. Just go to the MAIN Page for "Forest River Models click HERE and for CoachmenRV click Here Find your model RV and go to the bottom of the page in the BLACK on your left you will find OWNER'S MANAUL

Next, click back on the top MENU "FORUMS" next pan down the page to find your RV NAME or if made by Coachmen. Know, that this forum belongs to FRF, so only FR RV Models are listed by name. The Coachmen's name only is shown in each category.

You may find this FREE stuff for FRF interesting and fun as it's all FREE for members: Click HERE

Let the adventures begin with you and your Family OUTDOORS!
DogMan635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 05:11 PM   #7

If you have a inverter... it also has to be turned ON to work
it will then take 12v battery power........... and Invert it into 120v AC for your outlets to use.

DC power = Direct Current from a battery (usually from a battery or a CONVERTER output)
AC power = Alternating Current ... usually 120v from the power company.

CONVERTER = a big battery charger it takes 120v ac and converts it to 12v
that charges your batteries AND it can also power all your 12v items if your battery fails
If you disconnect the battery and turn on your converter when connected to shore power
all your 12v stuff will work

Inverter ... takes 12v Battery power and turns it into 120v AC so you can use items like a coffee maker or hair dryer
Batteries must be good and hold a decent charge... most Inverters will turn off if the battery voltage goes too low (11v)

INverter/charger
Combines a inverter with a converter and does BOTH jobs