Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2016, 01:14 PM   #1
Master of the obvious

looking at Leprechaun 310BH class c

Well we have been on FRF for advice with my first Pop up, then my TT now I'm looking at a class C and need your help. I've narrowed the choices between the Coachmen Leprechaun 310 BH, and the Thor 30D. We are leaning toward the Leprechaun but would like your advice!!

Thoughts? Go!
2018 Kia Optima Toad
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy View Post
Well we have been on FRF for advice with my first Pop up, then my TT now I'm looking at a class C and need your help. I've narrowed the choices between the Coachmen Leprechaun 310 BH, and the Thor 30D. We are leaning toward the Leprechaun but would like your advice!!

Thoughts? Go!
We liked our Leprechaun(2014) - it was the 320BH model then. Only thing I didn't snap to when we bought was the SMALL(and if I knew how to shrink the size of these letters I would have) shower. I nicknamed it the corncob shower...you lather up spin around until done.

Other than that - it was great coach.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy View Post

Thoughts? Go!
Just my 2 cents, but here goes. We have the 2016 319DS, which is very close in length to the one you're considering. Even with 2 people, I sometimes find mine to be cramped. So, I'm wondering how it would work out with 2 adults, 4 boys, and a dog (after space is taken out for the bunks). If you're outside all the time, no problem. If the weather is inclement, it might be another story. Just something to think about before you sink a lot of money into the 310BH. Good luck with your decision.
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:13 AM   #4
Master of the obvious

Keep the thought coming

One of my boys is now serving active duty so we will be camping with 3 boys and another dog... Taking 4 weeks and hitting the road in 2017 June / July so any Leprechaun users with feedback on the coach would also be helpful even if it's not the 310.

Thanks
2018 Kia Optima Toad
Old 08-03-2016, 12:40 PM   #5

We have a 2013 Leprechaun 220QB and just love it! We went on a 2 month caravan last year to Canada and Alaska and she performed like a champ. We were one of the few rigs with zero problems. Next summer we will caravan in the Eastern Provinces and really look forward to it. However, as with any RV manufacturer, the units vary in quality and performance. One manufacturing tour in Goshen stated they only do a quality inspection on every seventh rig. Guess that was ours.
Hoffwmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:03 PM   #6

Trouble free

We are on our second leprechaun, had a 2013 210 qb, upgraded to a 2015 260ds last year. Have had zero major issues with either coach, except for the usual poor quality control. I find you will always have to do a little reeforceing and fine tuning, no matter how much you spend. I have looked at many other c class brands, I always came back to the leprechaun. They could be built with a little more attention to detail, but the features and finishes are in my opinion superior to the competition.
Leprechauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:36 PM   #7
Dingoriver

We have a 2014 leprechaun 317 SA That we purchased used last year. Our first trip was from Virginia to California and back-we encountered no issues and we have been very pleased with it . We did have a problem with the dealership and after contacting coachman it was resolved . There are two of us and our 20 pound dog so it feels like a house on wheels. Our tow vehicle is a Fiat 500 and so far so good !
Dingoriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:19 PM   #8

Have used our 2012 Leprechaun 319DSF with two teenagers (Yellowstone and Arches trips different years) or with two Golden retrievers.
I would think three boys and having the additional two bunks would make sleeping for 6 without using couch or dinnet leaves moving around the only inconvenience. Eat/cook outside more and enjoy the outdoors.
Looking at the 310BH I see some with the larger refrig with 4 doors this I expect good with a 5 person group. There is also an option for swivel driver & passenger seats which would add some rainy day seating options. I have these, while they sit low to the floor. this 6' 3" man past 60 likes using them. The 310BH has a full queen 80" while thor is only 75" which is only an issue if someone is taller.
I find the dinette interesting on the 310BH and permits the swivel Pass. seat along with being longer for bed (may not need it though) than the Thor but other than sitting room for 5-6 versus 4 this may be a non-issue.
Looks like both would do a fine job and are similar in many ways. I expect like most with a 30's foot of motorhome you will want a towed car so work those cost numbers into your plans as that can be costly. With 30' plus there is a lot of site seeing you may be better in a car.
Best wishes

PAST- 2012 Coachman Leprechaun 319DSF w/TOAD -2011 Chevrolet Equinox 4-cyl. AWD, 2008 Springdale 266RL, 2002 Outback 25FB
Pathfinder75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:19 PM   #9

Have you considered either a Forester or a Sunseeker from Forest River? We bought our first RV ever this past January (we are both 68 years old), and went with the Sunseeker 3010DS. There are just the two of us and our 60 pound Australian Shepherd. Unit is bigger than we thought we would buy, but it has worked out well. Spent a month in the Texas Hill Country last winter and are going back this year. Other than two or three extremely minor warranty items, coach has been trouble free. We feel the bang for the buck was very good, and our dealer (Lewis RV in Dayton, Ohio) and the Forst River Class C warranty manager were very accommodating and helpful. Would absolutely give them a long, hard look before making any purchase decision.
Lazy Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:22 PM   #10

We owned a 2009 Leprechaun and it was the worst coach we ever owned. For one thing the chassis had to much weight and it rode like a tank the other part the water system did not work and had trouble finding someone to work on it. We have a Georgetown now and are very happy.
Dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:20 PM   #11
Master of the obvious

We have friends with the sun seeker and they love it, we looked at every bunkhouse class c we could find... The dinette seems to be the feature that keeps pulling me back to the leprechaun... If you take the table out and stow it, you really have a great space for when you need to hang out inside...
2018 Kia Optima Toad
Old 08-24-2016, 12:35 PM   #12
Chief tinkerer

Bigdaddy, we were close to purchasing a Leprechaun when we looked at Sunseeker 3010DS. Long kitchen counter with the TV above it with two recliners opposite was a positive. Also liked the fiberglass roof, enclosed belly (including black/grey valves) "U" shaped dinette that a 6 footer can sleep on and the big 15cu/ft 4 door fridge with icemaker. Slide toppers, bigfoot levelers were a plus. Fit,finish,quality between both brands seemed to be the same. Truck is the same. Happy shopping!

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:41 PM   #13
Chief tinkerer

Cmalberto, the hall shower is the only thing we didn't like about our rig. I added a shower curtain and when we shower we open the shower door for elbow room and the curtain contains the water. There are special rods that you can buy for this that have knuckles that let it pop out past the door line, but we found just having that vinyl curtain gave enough room. I'm 6'2, 250.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidyupgo View Post
Cmalberto, the hall shower is the only thing we didn't like about our rig. I added a shower curtain and when we shower we open the shower door for elbow room and the curtain contains the water. There are special rods that you can buy for this that have knuckles that let it pop out past the door line, but we found just having that vinyl curtain gave enough room. I'm 6'2, 250.
Sounds like you have a good plan there. I wish I would have tried something like that when I had mine.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c