Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2022, 11:03 AM   #1

Question Looking for battery terminals?

Hello, first time poster. I'm working on a 2018 Ford E450 Leprechaun 311FS (I have a VIN to confirm if needed). I'm looking to replace what I believe are battery terminals located in the stairs when you first enter, so it'll be on the left side (See the attached photos). Looking for that metal plate with the screws on the left corner and the black one in the right corner. Does anyone know what these are or might know a site that'll help? I've contacted numerous dealership part departments and most don't have any answers and the manufacturer says it's best to check with a auto part shop for terminals. Thanks in advance for any help, I've been looking for days into this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221205_102217.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	348.3 KB
ID:	282103   Click image for larger version

Name:	20221205_102230.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	298.3 KB
ID:	282104   Click image for larger version

Name:	20221205_102232.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	352.2 KB
ID:	282105  
Auto3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 11:43 AM   #2

I believe what you're looking for is what's called a buss bar or power distribution bar. In order to get the correct one you will need to determine the physical size as well as the size of the threaded studs. Thread size will either be imerial (#6, #8, #10, etc.) or metric size of the threaded (M4, M5, M6, etc). Knowing the thread size will allow all the wires to be easily reinstalled onto the new one.

Here is an link to a bunch of options. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=buss+bar&...f=nb_sb_noss_2
Old 12-07-2022, 11:54 AM   #3

I would NOT try to replace the RED bus bar (plate with 8 studs)
leave it for now it still looks serviceable,

The main negative cable at bottom right that goes to the frame .... is the biggest problem I see there

use a old toothbrush REALLY HOT water and baking soda (optional) scrub off all of that corrosion
WD40 to loosen the nuts .... scrub off all the corrosion on the nuts and bolt

more than likely the negative cable (wires) is corroded under the insulation... probably best to replace it.

see if you can take that cable OUT of the RV and have it replaced.
You can have a new cable made up at auto parts stores or West marine

Take the nuts ... from the negative cable to the hardware store
they will have the correct replacement nuts /bolt ...

clean OFF any rust on the frame when you put the nuts / cable back on

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Red bus bar... if you ever need to add more wires to this
use a small wire brush to clean off the red spray paint
BUY some new nuts from the hardware store.
Old 12-07-2022, 01:21 PM   #4

From the pic I am assuming that is the house battery and you want to clean it all up and (or) replace the battery and terminals? As mentioned by others, the parts are all standard parts in concept. The plate is a positive busbar that makes it easy to attach numerous positive red (USA) wires to the actual positive terminal of the battery.

Any wires grounded to the frame lead to the main negative battery terminal. I can't see it, but there could also be a negative busbar in there some where.

The point being that is all standard stuff (in some form) and any battery person should be able to give you replacement parts. All that stuff is available on Amazon.
Old 12-07-2022, 02:02 PM   #5

We have a 2017 Leprechaun 311FS and I have replaced the bus bar and negative cable when I started cleaning the rust from the frame. I got the parts and cable form my local auto parts store and the replacement nuts from Ace Hardware.

As for cleaning them I have used hot water and baking soda and it worked ok just have to scrub and I used a small metal brush. once done dry it really good then re-install the cables. As for the negative cable once I had the frame clean from the rust I painted the frame with Rustoleum Spray paint.
Old 12-08-2022, 01:25 AM   #6

The wire wit the corrosion is connected to the solenoid it is a 4awg wire so you'll need a ring terminal for that gauge wire. You can clean up the solenoid or buy a new one. The yellow wire connected to the solenoid is the 12v wire from the ignition.

I bought a kit similar to this.
https://a.co/hcDUw7G

You'll need a crimp tool or a torch and solder. Make sure to disconnect both house and chassis batteries before you work on it. Pull the wire back out of the hole it's run through so you can get to it from under the motorhome. Also buy some battery terminal protector.

https://a.co/5aM7LnR

I have a 2017 311FS as well. Here's a picture from mine.i went through all of this when upgrading to lifepo4 battery for house battery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220323_201155.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	565.6 KB
ID:	282124  
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery