Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2019, 10:05 AM   #1

Lost 110v to converterWFCO 8955

Went out this morning and found no power on the 110 v side. I reset the breaker nothing , I checked the plug it has power I pulled the plug and it showed power, but I’m getting nothing at my panel. I started the generator and all the power came on, shut it off and no shore power, I have a Coachmen Concord 300 , where would the power go to before the converter or anyone have an idea? Is there another breaker somewhere that I don’t know of? Thanks for your help

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:18 AM   #2

The transfer switch (unless you manually ha e to plug the shore cord into a receptacle) would be the first point the shore power will go to. Since the genny is suppling power to the converter normally that would be the suspected point of failure.

Test for power at the transfer switch contactor both on the shore input side as well as the output side. If there is now power at either point look at the coach connector (twist lock) where your shore power connects.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:38 AM   #3

Thanks but this is an automatic transfer switch, so you saying the shore power would go to the transfer switch first then to the converter? I don’t have the the slightest idea where this transfer switch is located or what it looks like, would there be a 30 amp breaker in the transfer switch that could have tripped from the shore power, stopping my 110v to the the converter when the generator is not running? Jeez thanks for your help

Old 11-28-2019, 10:47 AM   #4
Always Learning

I agree that it’s likely your transfer switch. They get “stuck” open in one direction.

The wiring goes from the cord to one input on the transfer switch.

The generator goes to the other input on the transfer switch.

Then the output of the transfer switch goes to your WFCO distribution oanel (aka, your converter).

Mine is installed in the same compartment as the generator. It’s just a non-descript silver metal box.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:49 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Went out this morning and found no power on the 110 v side. I reset the breaker nothing , I checked the plug it has power I pulled the plug and it showed power, but I’m getting nothing at my panel. I started the generator and all the power came on, shut it off and no shore power, I have a Coachmen Concord 300 , where would the power go to before the converter or anyone have an idea? Is there another breaker somewhere that I don’t know of? Thanks for your help

Glenn, the converter is what takes 120 volt AC and converts it to 12 volt DC to power just 12 volt DC items in your RV. If none of your 120 volt AC things are working (microwave, outlets, air conditioning) then you have a problem unrelated to the actual "converter". The converter takes 120 volt AC input, then outputs 12 volt DC.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nt-152813.html

Your 120 volt AC will go thru the transfer switch, then to your distribution panel (where your circuit breakers and fuses are).

The fact the everything is working when on generator (which also goes thru the transfer switch) would lead me to believe your problem is either at the transfer switch, or upstream of it on the shore power 120 volt AC side.

This link may help give you ideas on what to troubleshoot.
https://www.rvtechmag.com/electrical/chapter4.php

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:01 AM   #6

The transfer switch would typically not have any additional breakers in it. Look for a 8 - 10” square box with 3 orange romex (10 awg) wires going into it. Location could be just about anywhere but probably not far from the distribution panel. May be in an outside compartment.

About 30 seconds after your genny starts you will hear a “clunk” from the contractor in the transfer switch. The noise may help you locate it.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
Old 11-28-2019, 11:26 AM   #7

Based on other posts about burned connections on the back of the power input receptacle for shore power that would be my first stop.

Remove the power input receptacle and check to see that all three wires (Hot, Neutral, Ground) are still connected and the screws are T-I-G-H-T.

The fact you are getting power from the generator clearly indicates your problem is with the shore power supply. Before chasing the transfer switch check the source first. If you've checked the power cord plug, mark that off the list. Next, follow the power from the back of the receptacle through the system.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:31 AM   #8

Based on other posts about burned connections on the back of the power input receptacle for shore power that would be my first stop.

Remove the power input receptacle and check to see that all three wires (Hot, Neutral, Ground) are still connected and the screws are T-I-G-H-T.

The fact you are getting power from the generator clearly indicates your problem is with the shore power supply. Before chasing the transfer switch check the source first. If you've checked the power cord plug, mark that off the list. Next, follow the power from the back of the receptacle through the system.

As a side note, when diagnosing "no electricity" problems it's a lot easier to start where you know it's present and then work downstream, connection by connection rather than the other way around.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 01:21 PM   #9

Thank you everyone, Coachmen got back to me today, they said the transfer switch is located behind the converter, no wounder why I couldn’t fine it. They said if I have power for sure which I have I even pulled the outside plug to check, measure 110v no burnt wires or anything , so he told me to pull the WFCO and the box will behind that, then to bypass the transfer switch to get power to the shore only, I don’t need the generator right now so that will work, they will overnight me a new one Monday, but it will save my weekend. I thank everyone for your quick help, why they hide this stuff is beyond me, I looked all over for this switch. So on a Concord Coachmen it’s behind the Converter. Just a pain to pull all that out. So many other places they could have put it. But thanks everyone for your help, love this forum, and a very happy Thanksgiving To everyone, thanks again , and I will let everyone know the outcome, Incase someone else has this problem. As always C..P happens the joy of a RV....[emoji106]🤫

Old 11-28-2019, 01:46 PM   #10

Great news. Enjoy the holiday.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
Old 11-28-2019, 01:57 PM   #11

They called you on Thanksgiving. I'm impressed with the customer service!
I'm glad they got you going.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 08:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
They called you on Thanksgiving. I'm impressed with the customer service!
I'm glad they got you going.
yes I texted Jason Johnson he’s the service manager for the class C division, he gives out his text # for customers. Yes they have great C/S. A great division of FR now. Was back to me with in a couple of hrs. And walked me through what to check, I’m in my 2nd year of ownership and they still will help you out, he’s sending me the the part out Monday overnight ups. They have been great since the day I bought it.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

Hey Mike,
You make a good point that the back side of the camper connector is a likely suspect but rather than unscrew it from the camper, breaking the seal on the outside, would it not be just as easy to open up the transfer switch and check for power on the input lugs there, from the shore power>

If there is no power there, and there is power at the camper end of his cable then it seems to me it would be time to remove the receptacle adn see where that problem may lie.

If there is power at the shore power input in the transfer switch and none at the output then the problem is obviously the transfer switch itself.

Just my .02
Old 11-29-2019, 10:01 AM   #14

Well here is the problem I found, had to pull the converter and this metal box sits on top of it, they are calling it transfers switch, but I don’t see any relays it at all found two burnt wires I would think it was from a loose connection. I’m glad it was in a covered box, other then that it could have burnt down the RV, cut all the wires back and made new connectionsClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1353.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	328.1 KB
ID:	220015

Old 11-29-2019, 10:10 AM   #15

That’s definitely only a junction box, unless there is something not visible behind it. The three sets of wires coming up through the bottom could be to the contactor. Not sure why they would put that attached to the distribution panel otherwise. Definitely a god catch. Be sure to cut back any wire that is discolored till you find wire in good condition. Once the wire has been heated up it can become brittle and could create future problems.

Edit
That does appear to be a WIFCO T-30 transfer switch. It is designed to attach to a WIFCO distribution panel.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
Old 11-29-2019, 10:36 AM   #16
Always Learning

Yowza, Glen! I'm glad that stayed contained!
Old 11-29-2019, 11:21 AM   #17

Yes, thank you. I cut all the wires back and made new connections on all, what surprises me that the main 30 amp breaker never ever tripped. I know it can’t be from low voltage being my EMS would have shut it down, so I’m thinking a loose connection caused the wires being burnt, that’s scary. I ll wait until Coachmen sends me my new automatic transfer switch, I’ll be able to figure more out and let members know with pictures. The wire Romex is white where it comes to the plug outside, all these wires where orange, so there must still be another junction box somewhere. Still got to figure that one out. But I guess just being lazy they stuffed all this wire under the cabinets, I must have cut atleast a total of 4’ off that was just looped around, that’s not good either. But I’m up and running again. I learn more and more all the time. I would rather do it myself then take it to dealer who wouldn’t do as good of a job as me and takes week and here they charge 125.00 per hour for some 18 year old kid to try and figure it out. The forum folks are very knowledgeable, if your able to do it yourself, once again I thank everyone for your help and time. But I’ll take a picture of what Coachmen sends me so we can compare what I found in that box with the picture I posted already, the learning curve gos on.

Old 11-29-2019, 12:27 PM   #18
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Geez... glad you found that!

Loose connections do not trip breakers. Direct shorts do.

As you said, there is likely a transfer switch somewhere too.
Time for you to start checking ALL connections, even those in the power distribution box.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 03:59 PM   #19

Up date, I sent the picture to Coachmen, of what I found, Janson said that he will have to report it and put in my file as a fire, so that might help the way they do things in the future, I’m not an electrician but did HVAC all my life. It’s not a good practice that I know of to wire nut two different types of wire together such as they did, solid copper and stranded wire together , I always thought they had to be banded together, maybe one of our electrical members can answer that question I have.

Old 11-29-2019, 04:28 PM   #20

It is an accepted practice and not against NEC code to connect both solid & stranded wire together using a wire nut, in an enclosed box. Virtually every light fixture is connected this way. The wire nut has to be sized correctly based on the conductor size & quantity.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401

Tags
110v, converter, wfco