Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2021, 01:25 PM   #21
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLTShaker View Post
When looking at a new 2019 Leprechaun 311FS couple of years ago, I asked salesman about there being no spare. He said I wouldn't be able to change it anyway. We ended up buying a used 2017 Leprechaun 311FS that did have a spare. I carry the tools to change it but would probably call road service since I do pay for road service. Last year both my outer rear tires had leaking valve stems so I took the wheels off myself (in my driveway). I drove the inner tires onto "wood ramps" so that outer tires were hanging. Then I let my stabilizers down for support. Of course that wouldn't work for taking off inner wheels. I guess in an emergency you could raise the MH using the stabilizers as long as you raise evenly. After all sometimes when leveling, a wheel ends up hanging.

I read once (possibly on this forum), if you don't have a spare, at least carry a tire of the correct size. Supposedly the road service should be able to change tire on rim. You can carry a tire without rim in basement area and pack in and around it. And not be at the mercy of road service in having to buy an over priced tire. Wouldn't even have to be a new tire, just a good used one. Ron
Just commenting on a couple of your statements….
1. I’d be surprised if you find in writing that it’s recommended to support your motorhome off the ground, solely on the stabilizers as you call them. Typically they’re called jacks, not stabilizers. And…..if your rear wheels are off the ground, your parking brake is useless to stop the vehicle from rolling.
2. You make the statement that you can carry a spare tire in the basement area. Once again, that may be true for YOUR floor plan and the size of YOUR cargo doors. It should not be considered a blanket statement to others.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 02:40 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLTShaker View Post
When looking at a new 2019 Leprechaun 311FS couple of years ago, I asked salesman about there being no spare. He said I wouldn't be able to change it anyway. We ended up buying a used 2017 Leprechaun 311FS that did have a spare. I carry the tools to change it but would probably call road service since I do pay for road service. Last year both my outer rear tires had leaking valve stems so I took the wheels off myself (in my driveway). I drove the inner tires onto "wood ramps" so that outer tires were hanging. Then I let my stabilizers down for support. Of course that wouldn't work for taking off inner wheels. I guess in an emergency you could raise the MH using the stabilizers as long as you raise evenly. After all sometimes when leveling, a wheel ends up hanging.

I read once (possibly on this forum), if you don't have a spare, at least carry a tire of the correct size. Supposedly the road service should be able to change tire on rim. You can carry a tire without rim in basement area and pack in and around it. And not be at the mercy of road service in having to buy an over priced tire. Wouldn't even have to be a new tire, just a good used one. Ron
I can’t know your abilities or desires when it comes to changing wheels, but did the salesman put you through a live tire changing exercise, whereby you failed in your attempt to change the wheel? Salesmen tell you whatever is necessary to make the sale of whatever product they happen to have. I would have looked him in the eye and said, “you’re wrong.”
Old 12-31-2021, 04:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Just commenting on a couple of your statements….
1. I’d be surprised if you find in writing that it’s recommended to support your motorhome off the ground, solely on the stabilizers as you call them. Typically they’re called jacks, not stabilizers. And…..if your rear wheels are off the ground, your parking brake is useless to stop the vehicle from rolling.
2. You make the statement that you can carry a spare tire in the basement area. Once again, that may be true for YOUR floor plan and the size of YOUR cargo doors. It should not be considered a blanket statement to others.
1. I know it's not recommended to support your MH off the ground with just the "jacks", but I did say in an emergency. And as far as stopping the vehicle from rolling, I'm almost sure most will have wheel chocks (hope I got that one right), to place in front and back of front wheels/tires. At camp grounds I've seen a few MHs with wheels hanging after leveling. If after leveling, I have that situation, I raise the jacks back up and drive the offending tire(s) onto my Lego blocks (that's what I call them) and relevel my unit.
2. I was just repeating what I read in this or another forum. I guess I should have used quotation marks. I don't even know if a tire would fit in my cargo area, but I already have a spare tire and rim mounted underneath anyway. I certainly would hope a person would measure the area before obtaining a tire.

I am very sorry if I miss led anyone with any of my statements. Ron
XLTShaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 04:47 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
I can’t know your abilities or desires when it comes to changing wheels, but did the salesman put you through a live tire changing exercise, whereby you failed in your attempt to change the wheel? Salesmen tell you whatever is necessary to make the sale of whatever product they happen to have. I would have looked him in the eye and said, “you’re wrong.”
I know all about RV Salespeople. And that's exactly what he was trying to do, sell me what he had. If it had had a spare, he would have been saying how great that was. Before looking at the Class C, we were looking at a TT that would have put my F150 at it's Max towing weight and then some. I can pull 11900 lbs and I am sure my truck could have handled it, I but didn't want to be maxed out. The same salesman and his boss were telling me it would be fine and the equalizer hitch would take away tongue weight and this and that. Anyway, I knew better than to believe them. Would have bought the new Class C from him, but found the 2017 and saved over $20k, and got a spare and some other options not on the new one. All that because the DW wanted a washing machine (combo). Ron
XLTShaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 09:38 AM   #25

Thanks for all the advice. When the weather breaks I will be buying a 2x2 angle and the tire lift to mount under the rear tires. I have never weighed my RV and probably should. With all my fluids full (which probably never happens) we have about 1500 lbs. left and we do not tow so adding a 80 lb tire probably wont effect me to bad. For good measure I will have it weighed after loaded and if over GVWR, DW can leave a couple hundred pounds of unused cloths home.
KNMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 10:13 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB View Post
Thanks for all the advice. When the weather breaks I will be buying a 2x2 angle and the tire lift to mount under the rear tires. I have never weighed my RV and probably should. With all my fluids full (which probably never happens) we have about 1500 lbs. left and we do not tow so adding a 80 lb tire probably wont effect me to bad. For good measure I will have it weighed after loaded and if over GVWR, DW can leave a couple hundred pounds of unused cloths home.
That sounds like a good plan. When you weigh your motorhome, take note of the front and rear axle weights, not just the gross weight. I don’t know the forward-rear weight bias on your model, but on our class C, we would hit the rear axle maximum weight rating before we would be overweight on GVWR. Everything we load in mainly loads up the rear axle, but has little impact on the front axle. We basically have 1000 pounds of spare capacity on the front axle that almost never gets used due to the arrangement of the cabinetry and cargo compartments.
Old 01-01-2022, 10:21 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
That sounds like a good plan. When you weigh your motorhome, take note of the front and rear axle weights, not just the gross weight. I don’t know the forward-rear weight bias on your model, but on our class C, we would hit the rear axle maximum weight rating before we would be overweight on GVWR. Everything we load in mainly loads up the rear axle, but has little impact on the front axle. We basically have 1000 pounds of spare capacity on the front axle that almost never gets used.
Ours will be the same, as I believe most Cs would be the same where the majority of the weight will be in the rear. Although when we are out several months the overhead bunk gets loaded with Grandkid stuff and I have no control over that.
KNMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 11:28 AM   #28

spare tire mount

Try to get ford under body sling . But time ran out before our trip so went with this, bumper mount . Only problem it realy needs a brace from top of mount to frame. So yahhts what I did , Works great. Also bought a cover for tire along locks and chain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211201_150604790.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	337.9 KB
ID:	271120   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211201_150613399.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	337.7 KB
ID:	271121   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211204_124524982.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	350.8 KB
ID:	271122   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211209_150201565.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	271123  
Carl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 10:25 PM   #29

Might be a dumb question, but I haven't yet taken delivery on my new Leprechaun to verify.... But, aren't the three tires on each side - front, rear inner, rear outer - all mounted on a different style rim? If I was to purchase and carry a spare, isn't it a coin-flip as to which I might need?

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 10:32 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Instructor View Post
Might be a dumb question, but I haven't yet taken delivery on my new Leprechaun to verify.... But, aren't the three tires on each side - front, rear inner, rear outer - all mounted on a different style rim? If I was to purchase and carry a spare, isn't it a coin-flip as to which I might need?
If all the rims are steel, they are all the same. Just flip the wheel around to mount on the outside rear, no need to remove the tire.
Old 05-10-2022, 08:57 PM   #31

Mine came with it, and I am glad. Before having this unit, I had a FW and a blown tire. It was good to have a spare in it. I would travel without a spare tire, as you never know when you would need it, and if it would be readily available.
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, mount