Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2018, 07:35 PM   #1

Need to clarify what the brochure says

Friend of mine is eager to buy a Leprechaun. I'm not sure which model, but it's about 32ft long. I recommended a couple things based on my TT experience. One was two AC units/50 AMP service. Another was go with a lighter color to keep heat down ( we're in TX. ). Salesman told him they're using some miracle paint that reflects the sun & no difference between dark & light colors ( I call BS ). Salesman also says they cannot be had with dual AC units. I found that also hard to buy, but after looking at the brochure, that might be true. But putting the question out here to the folks that actually own them.

In the options section of the brochure, it has a 15K BTU low profile AC with heat pump listed. Is that a replacement for the standard 13K BTU unit, or is it an optional 2nd unit?

Also, in the standard equipment section, it says you get a 30 AMP cord, but a 55 AMP electronic converter. So is the unit 30 AMP or 50 AMP?

Thanks,
Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerdog1 View Post
Friend of mine is eager to buy a Leprechaun. I'm not sure which model, but it's about 32ft long. I recommended a couple things based on my TT experience. One was two AC units/50 AMP service. Another was go with a lighter color to keep heat down ( we're in TX. ). Salesman told him they're using some miracle paint that reflects the sun & no difference between dark & light colors ( I call BS ). Salesman also says they cannot be had with dual AC units. I found that also hard to buy, but after looking at the brochure, that might be true. But putting the question out here to the folks that actually own them.

In the options section of the brochure, it has a 15K BTU low profile AC with heat pump listed. Is that a replacement for the standard 13K BTU unit, or is it an optional 2nd unit?

Also, in the standard equipment section, it says you get a 30 AMP cord, but a 55 AMP electronic converter. So is the unit 30 AMP or 50 AMP?

Thanks,
Tuckerdog1
No way they would sell a 50 amp panel and put a 30 amp cord on it. That's a lawyers dream. You are SSOOOO correct about the super paint. What a farce!
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:13 PM   #3

That is a 30 amp rig. The 55 amp converter indicates that the 12 volt output of the converter is capable of supplying a maximum of 55 amps.
The 15K BTU A/C - heatpump option replaces the standard 13K BTU A/C unit.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
That is a 30 amp rig. The 55 amp converter indicates that the 12 volt output of the converter is capable of supplying a maximum of 55 amps.
The 15K BTU A/C - heatpump option replaces the standard 13K BTU A/C unit.
that makes better sense.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:26 PM   #5
Site Team

30A cable is 120V 30A AC
Converter is 12VDC at 55A out.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:54 PM   #6

Thanks all. Really surprised the unit cannot be had with dual AC/50 AMP. Is what it is.

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:41 AM   #7
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Thanks all. Really surprised the unit cannot be had with dual AC/50 AMP. Is what it is.

Tuckerdog1
Cuts into the profit margins...

You can upgrade to 50 amp service but it would require a new breaker panel. What I have seen done is leave the 30 amp in place, upgrade to a 15k A/C, then put in a 13.5K A/C and run a separate 20 amp cord directly to the power pole in the campground. Best of both worlds.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:22 AM   #8
Dahagen

I have owned two Leprechauns and can't see any need for two AC units. Even in Nebraska at 100 degrees. You can instead upgrade to a class A Mirada as I did but I have never used both air conditioners at the same time. And I just got back from a trip to Texas and Florida. I do run the front AC when I am sleeping and run the back bedroom AC when I am watching TV up front. The connected ducting works great.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:32 PM   #9
GnS

Quote:

Thanks,
Tuckerdog1
Sounds like the 319DS which is what we have. It’s standard to have the 15K BTU unit on this model. As to the paint, well it may well be a bs story about them using it, but apparently it has been invented. First I’d heard about something like this so I did a search and came up with this from a few years back.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...l-glass-paint/

The 15K BTU unit does a good job of keeping ours cool as long as you take the normal steps to minimize heat load on the interior.

Regards,

Greg
Old 06-10-2018, 09:28 PM   #10

No Lep comes with two a/c. The paint story is only a salesman story.
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:37 AM   #11

If you camp In Texas a lot during the summer months One AC will not handle the heat.
We had a sunseeker 3170ds and just traded it in for something with 2 AC.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:02 PM   #12

"If you camp In Texas a lot during the summer months One AC will not handle the heat."

John, you are correct. That is why late in April. TX is fine for Class C from October to April, but during May- September, nope.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:04 PM   #13

I meant "That is why I left in late April."
Old 06-15-2018, 12:44 PM   #14

Put your hand on a light and dark colored unit in the sun and you can easily tell which one is hotter.