Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2021, 12:00 PM   #1

Need to winterize my Galleria while still using

Hi
My wife has serious celiac so I need my Galleria to antifreeze in it for a trip to Cleveland at Christmas
Do I jus add to fresh water and use the pump to circulate? And add antifreeze to the black and gray water tanks.
My first year to use it over winter.
Thanks for any help.
Lowrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 08:01 AM   #2

What I have done for winter travel is to winterize as normal meaning bypass the HWT pump antifreeze thru system run the furnace durning travel Pour antifreeze down the "P" traps so that there is antifreeze against the dump valves (antifreeze is cheap insurance) drain the freshwater tank. I use bottled/large container water for cooking and flushing the toilet if I use it.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 08:10 AM   #3

I was looking up the Galleria, and some say "4 season MH". what model and year is yours? you might not have to do anything accept keep the heat on. I also see some have a polar package with heated tanks.

if you have the Truma heater that needs special attention to winterize as as well.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 08:17 AM   #4

2017 coach. I thought I had all the water out on January but froze my kitchen faucet. I did not blow out the lines however
Old 10-21-2021, 06:48 PM   #5

Using while winterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrey View Post
Hi
My wife has serious celiac so I need my Galleria to antifreeze in it for a trip to Cleveland at Christmas
Do I jus add to fresh water and use the pump to circulate? And add antifreeze to the black and gray water tanks.
My first year to use it over winter.
Thanks for any help.
We usually winterize around Thanksgiving but spend several days in the trailer at New Years (great parties at the resort). We do the usual stuff--bypass the water heater, drain it, run antifreeze through everything. Drain all tanks. We connect the sewage tote and open the gray tank valve because we have a dehumidifier in the shower (It doesn't run much in the winter).

At New Years, we bring a case or two of bottled water. We shower in the bath house and mostly use the toilets there. Toilet use limited to liquid waste. (We believe there's enough salt in liquid waste to prevent freezing--never been a problem. Water can be heated on the range or coffee maker.

The thing about tanks is this: The tanks themselves are high-density polyethylene (HDPE) and pretty flexible. But the piping from the tanks to the drain valves is brittle ABS (acrylonitrile, butadiene and styrene). That's why we leave the drain open and let the tank or tanks drain into the flexible, rugged HDPE sewage tote.

I posted these detailed instructions yesterday. Please read them carefully.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 08:31 AM   #6

Thanks all. I have found a video to help me find the Truma heater/water heater. It shows how to drain it.
I think I will just drain the Truma. Then blow out the lines with 30 psi and put antifreeze in traps, toilet.
Sound about right?
Some say no air into Truma but other say OK????
Old 10-22-2021, 08:34 AM   #7

I have a question about this Truma heater/water heater. It appears this is a combo unit that does both hot water and heat.
Can you run it for just heat when there is no water in it or will that damage the water heater side?
Old 10-22-2021, 08:57 AM   #8

I believe you are correct. Shouldn’t run Truma dry probably. The Mercedes chassis has enough heat for our travel comfort. We aren’t camping in the unit and just visiting family. In January will travel to Texas and no problems.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:24 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
2017 coach. I thought I had all the water out on January but froze my kitchen faucet. I did not blow out the lines however
I'm curious what you did that made you think you had gotten all the water out if you didn't blow out the lines?
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:29 AM   #10

Because I’m stupid and had just brought it back from TX. That dealer said was winterized but really it was winterized to Texas.
Old 10-22-2021, 03:56 PM   #11

Quote:
For A Coachmen Galleria 24t

I now have the scoop from Truma. They are very helpful
1. Drain the Truma
2. Should have a bypass installed by the factory
3. Blow out the lines
4. Install antifreeze
5.Add antifreeze to the traps

FOUND YOU CAN RUN THE TRUMA FOR COACH HEAT EVEN AFTER EMPTYING.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:50 PM   #12

I have seen espar diesel heaters for MB's that fit under the passenger side seat that looked pretty interesting as well.