Old 02-29-2020, 08:59 AM   #1

New Ď17 Coachmen Prism 2150LE Owner

So we just bought our first RV and we have a lot of questions. I'll keep it short and simple here and hopefully someone can help us out.

1) The dealer said he thought it had side cameras but we can't figure out how to get them to turn on. I can't see around the right side of the RV at all since the awning piece blocks the side mirror.

2) The dealer said the only way to drain the fresh tank and water lines is by pulling the three black knobs on the low point drain area in the rear luggage. I did that and it slowly drains, but then one of the pipe ones came all the way out. I put it back in and it seems ok but should I be worried?

3) I've heard the Mercedes chassis is great other than the weight limits which in not too worried. Anything we need to have checked out by the Mercedes? We are taking it in Monday for it's 20,000 mile service and want them to look around and see if anything needs replacing.

4) How hard is it to replace the dash radio headunit? I'd like to have side view cameras, maps, etc.

5) We are taking our first big trip in it in late May and going through the CO Rockies. We did the same last year in a car and it was snowing. Should we have any worries there?

Thanks guys. I'll be browsing these fourms for awhile now

Dano9258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:53 AM   #2

Similar MH

Welcome to the forum.

From your post I guess you bought it used.

I bought a little used 2018 Prism 2200, and offer the following:

After searching I found a 2017 Coachmen Prism Brochure, and from what I see only the Prism Profile models (NOT ours) came with Side View Cameras as an option.

I hope the MBZ Owners Manual was still in the glove box.

Use the below link to Search & Print ALL things that MBZ included when they sold the Cut-away Chassis to Coachmen.

https://www.datamb.com/

Because you are second owner you are out of Coachmen warranty, but still search for the Coachmen Contact list. Ross is your guy, as well as other #ís are good to have. I will post it if you want but am short on time right now.

What I learned -
use the Battery Disconnect near the door to the House.
And also use the Chassis Disconnect that MBZ located above the Accelerator Pedal. (Under the hood is a positive connection & ground lug for jump starting the MBZ). Additionally, after reconnecting turnoff the Radio, as you might do what I did and run down the Chassis Battery when I stopped for 7-days of camping and needed a jump start.
A Good set of 20-foot Large Wire Jumpers cables can save you when you need to jump.

More than likely you MH was not aligned after the heavy House was installed (I saw heavy wear on the outside of my front tires with less than 9,000 miles on it when bringing it home from purchase)

Your questions:
#1 as above NO Side view cameras, the Convex mirror below the larger side view mirror (Manual adjustment)is your only hope (mine has the side cameras and I feel to look at them at 70 mph it is a little unsafe)

#2 canít respond my is differs model

#3 Yep MBZ is quality unit. Add you own DEF before taking to Dealer theirs is pricey. Also learn how to use the MBZ Dash display to check your DEF level. Might suggest to learn that before you add so you can get a feel for its function.
A Chassis Battery load check to see how much draw there is when you think everything is off. (Coachmen Wired mine with their stuff off the wrong side of the ignition switch)
Have them look at your Chassis Battery on your 2017, if it wasnít already replaced it might be as old as 2015.

#4 Iíve read on this and other forums that others have done it. I took mine to a good auto stereo shop and had them rewrite the above problems.
I thought about the same as you, but found they are just too hard to use & read while driving.
Biggest problem is poor reception, as the MH House kills the antenna, now I just use CDís for sound. In my opinion separate cameras & navigation from the dash is better.

#5 I wonít do snow in my 12,000 lbs rig especially if the wind was blowing.

Hope this helps,
Lucas
LucasCali is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen