Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2016, 08:59 PM   #1

New Coachmen Freelander 27QB owner

Interested in feedback from others who own this model, pro's and con's, improvements you've made?
donkro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkro View Post
Interested in feedback from others who own this model, pro's and con's, improvements you've made?
I saw the Coachmen Freelander 27 QBC at the Houston RV show on Sunday. I really like the floorplan ... wife does too. I am new to Coachmen products so I am really interested in finding out what some owners think about this coach. So ...

bump ...
Eratosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:16 PM   #3
World Wide Wanderer

I don't have a Freelander, however I do own one of the Concord line a 300DS and have been very happy with it. I have had to contact Coachmen a couple of times on minor issues and they have been prompt and responsive. My unit had the usual minor issues, all were corrected promptly by the dealer or were simple enough to take care of myself.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:41 PM   #4

Quote:
I have done the following improvements to our 2011 coachmen freelander 27GB

Maxair II covers on all vents
Auto power transfer switch
Progressive industries 30amp EMS
Solar (800 watts)
Replaced 12v batteries with 6 volt
Inverter to run all TVs and USB charging
Second 28 inch LED TV
Central retractable vacuum wife's fav
Digital thermostat
110v USB plugs
Hybrid hot water kit to run off electric
Stabilizing jacks
Tinted coach windows to 95%

I think I have a post detailing my improvements.
fr1rd831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:55 PM   #5

Aaron and Ray,

Sounds like Coachmen makes a good product. I understand the Freelander is an entry product, but I don't hear horror stories of endless repairs on brand new coaches.

Course I have only been researching the Freelander for a couple of days now ...
Eratosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:27 AM   #6

Coachmen Freelander 27QB

originally posted this a while ago and received no responses, so glad to get some! We just bought ours a few months ago and haven't really used it much, but the things I plan on doing soon to get it ready for this year include;
Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer
Spare tire/wheel combo and tools to change it
Keyless entry plus alarm (Viper), can't believe Ford doesn't just supply this initially, how cheap of them!
Upgrade the in door speakers that sound like crap, another example of Ford being cheap!
The wife plans on switching out the window trim treatments and other aesthetic items such as curtains, as it is a bit monochromatic inside.

Otherwise I am initially pleased with the quality of the unit and had some very positive exchanges with an employee at Coachmen with questions I asked. This is an entry level unit in terms of trim, but all the basics are there and we really like the floor layout of this model. We're looking forward to many years of fun!
Old 02-22-2017, 05:30 AM   #7
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
originally posted this a while ago and received no responses, so glad to get some! We just bought ours a few months ago and haven't really used it much, but the things I plan on doing soon to get it ready for this year include;
Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer
Spare tire/wheel combo and tools to change it
Keyless entry plus alarm (Viper), can't believe Ford doesn't just supply this initially, how cheap of them!
Upgrade the in door speakers that sound like crap, another example of Ford being cheap!
The wife plans on switching out the window trim treatments and other aesthetic items such as curtains, as it is a bit monochromatic inside.

Otherwise I am initially pleased with the quality of the unit and had some very positive exchanges with an employee at Coachmen with questions I asked. This is an entry level unit in terms of trim, but all the basics are there and we really like the floor layout of this model. We're looking forward to many years of fun!
Ford isn't the one being cheap. Coachmen/FR specifies what they want on the chassis. They order the basic E cutaway in white.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:44 AM   #8

yes, I suppose that's why it's such an affordably priced entry level unit. Easy to update for those of us who want those features!
Old 03-27-2017, 06:10 AM   #9

Quote:
I replaced the door speakers on my Freelander with Infinitys. Amazing difference...
bglz42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bglz42 View Post
I replaced the door speakers on my Freelander with Infinitys. Amazing difference...
How difficult was it to replace the speakers? I was considering doing a replacement as well.
fr1rd831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:46 PM   #11

A breeze. Complete bolt-in. Remove door panel, replace.
bglz42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:09 PM   #12

The Wife and I just bought a 2017QB. Loved the floorplan with the couch and the walk around bed bedroom and the shower separate from the bathroom. So far we have not found anything that needed fixing beside 2 small things at walk thru. Ours came with the 15K AC/Heat pump, covers on AC and vents,chrome covers, outside entertainment, black seats.
I would like to add an outside grill that mounts on the passenger side rear and solar panels, dual 12v battery and mounted jack leveling system.
We went and tested every 22ft-29 ft Class C motorhome and the 27QB, in our opinion, had the best layout for the best price. Sure you could spend 80k-90k and get the same layout and better built interior but considering that I got mine brand new for 54K, you couldnt tought it.

Robert Jordan
Winnsboro Tx
robjordan406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:47 AM   #13

Our family bought a new 2017 27 QB last week and took it camping this past weekend close to home to figure out how to pack and what to bring. We are new to the RV lifestyle, but have been tent campers since we were kids. So even though this RV was one of the cheaper units on the lot, it is a huge step up for us and we love the features of this unit. My two little girls slept in the overhead berth, each grandma slept on the nook and couch beds, and my wife, infant, and I enjoyed the queen in the back.

Since I have little kids, we don't mind the more basic trim and amenities, We also like not having slide outs, so perfect leveling is not an issue. This RV appears to be more function, than fashion, but then again, it's a pretty sweet deal when compared to sleeping in a navy blue tent, and having to haul a pickup with a bed full of heavy camping gear.

Our unit has the Chevy Express 4500 chassis. It is 14,200 LB GVWR, and has the 6.0L Vortec V8 w/ 6 speed transmission. Since I am getting used to driving this behemoth, I kept below 54 mph for the 50 mile drive. We were surprised that the fuel economy crept up from 8.5 mpg to 9.9 mpg when i set the cruise control to 49 mph on a 30 mile stretch of country road.

I also noticed that this 100 mile round trip dropped the OIL LIFE MONITOR from 90% to 78% in such a short distance. You can tell by the smells coming from the engine that we are definitely breaking in a new vehicle.

We started a punch list of little issues to take back to the dealer, and a couple of more campouts will help reveal more issues.

We plan on taking a 4 day glamping trip to Disney Fort Wilderness in June, and our kids have already asked if they could live at the campground we stayed at this past weekend!
greenrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:27 PM   #14

GreenRover, we also took our motorhome 27QB out this weekend. 10 mins to setup and take down was surely nice. Everything went smoothly with no issues. I did have trouble getting the AC to shut off (it is loud) but then I found the AUTO setting instead of LOW/HIGH. I do see I will need a 30" wide recliner and a 8" memory foam for the back bed mattress. Noticed I couldnt bend over and wash my feet in the shower (too small). Overall, we were extremely happy with the Coachmen Freelander.
robjordan406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:05 PM   #15

Good to see others are enjoying their 27QB! We haven't actually camped in ours yet but will this year. I'm bringing it out of storage soon to have a steering stabilizer installed, and also a keyless entry/alarm system (the Ford dealer says they're too easy to break into), along with better speakers. Also new compartment locks, and a EMS surge protector.The wife is planning some interior upgrades, main ones being getting rid of the valances and window shades and putting in curtains and blinds, for a softer less monochromatic feel. I agree the back bed is too hard so will probably add a foam topper. The Freelander is a bargain compared to most, but you get basic accommodations like a cheap mattress, cheap speakers, no keyless entry. That's how they keep the cost down, but are easy upgrades. I agree, much better than sleeping on the floor of a tent! We towed our VW Beetle last fall for 250 miles and got about 9.8 MPG, doing 60/65mph.

Tags
coachmen