Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2015, 11:17 AM   #1
CB3

New owner; used coach

First time RV'r here. Buying a 2-owner 2011 FR Sports Coach 385DS Diesel pusher, bunk bed model, with 11,500 miles. Good Michelin tires, Onan diesel 6000w generator, 2 slides, although the driver's side one is about 25' long, so it's more like a 3-slide. We have been on houseboats at Lake Powell for the last 15 years. Going in a different direction now.

Previous owner bought it last spring for a 6,000-mile trip back east with his family this summer. Owned it only 5 months and does not anticipate using it again for about two years. It's in good shape--except there is a challenge getting shore power through the inverter into the coach. Buying it through a dealer although seller is local and directly involved in transaction. Nice guy.

My wife and I are planning some local 3-day weekend camping trips to learn about the vehicle. Our children's families will come along with their own camping gear. My wife is looking forward to all this, using it as a base for family camping and ATV riding within a half day's drive of our home.

Then some longer 5-7 day traveling trips for just the two of us. Finally, maybe a three-month trip back east from Utah next summer to see sights and relatives.

After that, it may become my local living quarters while I supervise building a cabin about 1.5 hours from our home.

I understand the newer models of this RV are just Coachmen, although ours was built before that acquisition, I believe.

I would appreciate hearing any opinions or advice on either the coach or the plans for it.
CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:03 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

Your plan for the coach is your plan. Enjoy the family and the travel.
FR bought Coachmen the end of 2008. The new business model of profit first is in place.
Your inverter should be a pass through, i.e. disconnects when shore power is turned on. Something is not right or it is a manual switchover. Your unit is approaching 5 yrs old and only has an equivalent of 3 months use. Long periods of storage can be harmful if it was not done correctly. It could be just fine or things could begin to prematurely fail when you use them. Time will tell. I suggest spraying your tire sidewalls with 303 protectant to help prevent blowouts from uv ray weakened rubber. A TPMS might be a good investment under the circumstances. Thats my 2 cents for what it's worth.
Safe Travels
Old 08-30-2015, 11:09 PM   #3
CB3

Thanks, Duck. I'll treat the sidewalls and look closely for other problems. Having just returned from a 4-month, 6,000-mile trip, the bus is supposed to have had the non-use kinks worked out of it. If not, it's a no-go. Purchase contract requires all systems working, no leaks, etc.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:37 PM   #4

Did you buy it in Orem, UT by chance!?
OtterMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:48 PM   #5
CB3

Coach was in Orem, yes. We backed out of the deal as it was not in saleable condition at the time.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB3 View Post
Coach was in Orem, yes. We backed out of the deal as it was not in saleable condition at the time.
Too funny... I found that one and was going to make an offer on it, then it was gone! Then I found this thread while scouring the internet for a deal on another one... from your description I knew it had to be the one. So somebody else must have bought it. So did you end up buying another one? What was wrong with it? It looked to be in great shape, at least as far as I could tell from the pics.
OtterMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:24 AM   #7
CB3

Biggest problem was low tow capacity--5,000 lbs. we have a 7,200 lb. (loaded) ATV trailer or a 6,500 boat to tow. Lots of hills and passes and altitudes from 4,500-9,000 feet out here. The windshield had been shot with and air gun and had a large chip, and the driver's side window had been shot out and was. It replaced. Electrical needed work. All that should have even taken care of and probably has been. Other smaller detail work was probably finished (i. e., rip in vinyl floor). Basically a great coach, but could not meet our needs.

No we have not bought a different one yet.