Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2017, 07:47 PM   #1

Prism 7000 mile road trip i

So I bought this 2016 24M Prism a few weeks back. It had 4000 miles on it. I knew nothing about motorhomes . First tune up run was a short trip down the coast to Camp Pendleton near San Diego. The wife and I had a blast. The cat not so much. After joining this forum and reading all I could for three weeks we loaded up and left for the east coast this morning. I am so impressed by this coach. Mom packed all the dishes so they don't rattle. Non skid between the plates. It cruised up the Cajon pass in high gear doing 70 without breaking a sweat. Hit Vegas in 6 hours with stops for Diet Cokes and Starbucks. lol I know. I love them both. Any way 284 miles and 16.5 gallons of diesel. 17.2 mpg. Lots of wind on the 15 north. There were DP 40s swaying worse than me. We're staying on military bases all the way across when we can. At Nellis AFB tonight. 22 bucks for a quiet full hookup spot. I'll keep this going to see how the coach works In the mountains. I just want to thank you guys for all the help and info.
Bob.
bobgeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:14 AM   #2

Question.
I have no hot water and the water pump never shuts off. I filled the fresh tank to where it came out the overflow., so I am sure it's full. I have it hooked up to city water which works fine. We have full pressure on all the faucets both hot and cold. For some reason there is no hot water and the pump seems to just run. I can run it for two min and nothing. Could it be filling the hot water tank? Does the hot water only work with the pump? Sorry but we did not get any manuals with it.
Thanks.
Bob
Old 05-16-2017, 10:09 PM   #3

Second night. Water is tepid but not hot. Does it take a long time to heat up?
280 miles today. 17.7 mpg. In the hills. Love this coach.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:38 PM   #4
Road Warrior

Hi. Question for you if you don't mind. I have a 2016 24G. Sunroof is a little noisy does not seem to fully seat and rattles a little at highway speed. How is yours?
Old 05-17-2017, 07:45 AM   #5

Mine seals up real tight. No wind noise or rain leaks.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgeri View Post
Question.
I have no hot water and the water pump never shuts off. I filled the fresh tank to where it came out the overflow., so I am sure it's full. I have it hooked up to city water which works fine. We have full pressure on all the faucets both hot and cold. For some reason there is no hot water and the pump seems to just run. I can run it for two min and nothing. Could it be filling the hot water tank? Does the hot water only work with the pump? Sorry but we did not get any manuals with it.
Thanks.
Bob
Have you checked if you valves are properly set to not bypass the water heater? Typically you have 3 valves to turn. 1 in and 1 out of water heater(turned to restrict flow for winter) and 1 to allow water to flow to bypass the heater. Usually you can find these behind a panel leading into your water heater.
As far as pump running. Does the water keep runing when not hooked up to shore? Just thinking that possibly you arent actually pulling any of the water from your tank, and only using the reserve pressure from the shore water..... If this is so, you may have a valve turned to change flow from the water tank to a hose(that is used to fill the system with Antifreeze for winter)

Just my thoughts.
jeepthng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:26 PM   #7

Have you checked your propane tanks? Are the valves open? I do a quick check by turning on one of the cook top burners. It will confirm propane and a steady flow.
johng4706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:34 PM   #8

Thanks guys. Propane is working great. Stove and heater are on point. I will check the valves behind the panel in a few min.
Thanks.
Bob
Old 05-17-2017, 06:06 PM   #9

Went inside the panel and no valves. But I did find corrosion on the ground wire hooked to a switch of some sort. I cleaned it and boom it lit right up. So I am going to give it a half hour or so then check it.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:53 PM   #10

So no hot water yet. How long does it take to get hot.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:29 PM   #11

Check for water int the hot water tank by going outside to the hot water panel. Should be a vented panel with a quick release opening. Inside the panel should be a pressure relief valve, if you open the valve, carefully, and water comes out there's water in your tank, if no water there are winterization valves closed somewhere. You can also check the pilot light lighting the propane to heat your tank there. Most tanks can also be heated by electrics only, this takes much longer. Propane heats the water within minutes. Good luck.
fedexflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:54 PM   #12
TARVIDSON

Warm water instead of hot

Here are a few hints to deal with the no hot water problem. Generally you have to either pull out a drawer or undo a panel to see the bypass valves to your hot water heater. There are generally three valves. There are two parallel lines and a line crossing between them. To access the tank from the outside there is a metal panel that will pop right off. If you open the pressure relief valve you should get scalding water out of it, be careful not to burn yourself. If you have lots of pressure but cold water from the relief valve then you have to get your heat source fixed. If the electric element came on with no water in the tank it would burn out in minutes. If nothing comes out when you have water pressure at other outlets you need to let water into the tank with the valves in the parallel lines. The third valve between the parallel lines must be shut off to get hot water, if that is open the water will be lukewarm. Propane will heat a 6 gal tank to really hot in 30 minutes.
TARVIDSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:21 AM   #13

Great answer. Thanks. Now I just have to find the valves.

Edit.
at a shop now. It fired right up for him. Waiting to see if it gets hot. No bypass valve to be seen.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:58 PM   #14

Yay we have hot water. A loose wire was all it was. It's stayed hot all day. Newman truck an RV in Rawlings Wyo. he wouldn't take any money so we slipped the mechs a 20 each for being such nice guys. The owner did a road condition check for us on his computer and steered us around a trouble spot. Next small problem is an air leak in the cab. We thought it was a vent we couldn't find. Turns out the bottom of the drivers door is sticking out away from the body by 1/2 inch. Heading to a sprinter shop in Rapid City tomorrow to see if they can adjust the hinges. Other than that we're having a ball.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:50 PM   #15

Oh Lord. The Murphy bed just went pop while we were sitting on the lounges. Looks like the switch shorted and it popped the chain off the sprocket. It's raining and I'm just too old to crawl in there. Besides I don't think I would fit. So now the bed and the cab door are in need of repair. I hope the slide out works in the morning.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:07 PM   #16
TARVIDSON

What next?

Glad to hear about the hot water, sorry about the door and the bed, hope it all works out at the dealer.
Best regards
TARVIDSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:47 PM   #17

Omg. Hot water for days now. Went to Camping World Rapid City. They had 3 guys come out in 40 degree rain and got my water working right. They found the valves behind a panel under the sink. Had to remove 3 drawers to get to the panel. The crossover was open. The bed is DOA. And the slide has gone temperamental. And shifts going in and out. But they helped and so far it works if I help muscle it. We hit Walmart and bought a blowup queen mattress. We are leaving the bed in the up position and putting the blowup on the recliners and some foot stools. See how that works tonight. Better than last night for sure. Slept on the bare recliners and center table. Wife was on the bent chase lounge. Hey it's an adventure. At 70 everyday rocks.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedexflyer View Post
Check for water int the hot water tank by going outside to the hot water panel. Should be a vented panel with a quick release opening. Inside the panel should be a pressure relief valve, if you open the valve, carefully, and water comes out there's water in your tank, if no water there are winterization valves closed somewhere. You can also check the pilot light lighting the propane to heat your tank there. Most tanks can also be heated by electrics only, this takes much longer. Propane heats the water within minutes. Good luck.
Works perfect now. Valve was open. Closed it and wow hot water. Thanks.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:02 PM   #19
Road Warrior

Great attitude! Keep the posts coming!
Old 05-19-2017, 10:28 PM   #20

Being retired is wonderful, isn't it?
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote