Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2017, 06:02 PM   #1

Propane accessories and hookup

After spending 5 days out in the forest (family of 5), running the furnace at night, fridge and water heater, we only burned a 1/4 tank of propane. So I think it's time to step up and get a propane grill for the RV (I typically bring my large Weber charcoal grill or sometimes just use the campground facilities.)

After doing a little homework the camco 3 port seems to be what I need. Not sure what model though and debating installing upstream or downstream from coach's regulator. It's my understanding if installed before the regulator then any/all my accessories will need their own regulators (as for accessories - I have none at the moment.... just trying to think ahead and only do it once). If installed downstream, then it's already regulated and I can't use accessories that have regulators too (No double regulating the propane right?)

Guess it's neither here nor there, just want some friendly advise from the "been there done that" &/or "I wish I woulda" camps. I guess the only reason this question came up for me was the RV grill I was looking into did not have a regulator so it could be used with coaches that had a built in low pressure quick connection (camco Olympian 5500)

Not sure about other accessories I might be interested in??? Like lanterns or heaters? I do use a campchef two burner camp stove with a 5 gallon tank I bring with it. (I want to eliminate bringing that tank too).

So I guess I'd go with the 59103 (3-port tee) installed before the coach's regulator. Run a hose to a propane splitter to connect my regulated two burner cooktop and shop for a nice regulated RV/portable/tabletop grill??

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2480.jpg
Views:	1779
Size:	250.4 KB
ID:	134660
CSandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:11 PM   #2

If you go with the low pressure side you may have to change the OEM regulator. Most are cheap and have a BTU rating around 80K. I use a 3 burner Camp Chef stove, 3 burners @ 30K BTU each, and the regulator on our Roo just did not have the capacity when using all 3 burners. I replaced it with a Marshall high flow rated at 165K BTU and all 3 burners heat the same as if on a stand alone tank. I can also use the furnace, water heater or stove inside at the same time.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:37 PM   #3

I use the Camco 4 port extend-a-stay and it comes with the hoses. (Model #59123). It allows me to connect to a grill or any propane accessory with ease. It also allows me to connect to a spare lpg tank if the rig runs out of propane. Was a super easy install.
See it here on Amazon. http://amzn.to/2iTzeXA
Click image for larger version

Name:	camcoextdasty.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	134673
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:34 AM   #4

I made my own H/P and L/P connections. Just be sure that your hoses are rated for the high pressure propane. Also it is also a good idea to keep the H/P modifications as close to the tank as possible and hard piped. Gas high pressure quick connects are readily available with a gas resistant o-ring. I use my H/P hookup for a coleman grill using the supplied requlator and the LP for a fire ring . The high pressure could be used for a Big Buddy heater also but I am hesitant to run a h/p hose in the camper.
KAttkisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 06:40 PM   #5

I have a Camp Chef and a separate 5 gallon propane tank (like you). No big deal to carry, in my Rig. I hook mine up away from the RV. My RV buddy hooks his up to cook next to his RV and the underside of the awning and side of his RV gets greasy and nasty. The grease also tends to find its was into the RV, even with the door shut.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh R View Post
I have a Camp Chef and a separate 5 gallon propane tank (like you). No big deal to carry, in my Rig. I hook mine up away from the RV. My RV buddy hooks his up to cook next to his RV and the underside of the awning and side of his RV gets greasy and nasty. The grease also tends to find its was into the RV, even with the door shut.
What the heck is your buddy cooking for that to happen? I have been setting up my 3 burner Camp Chef stove under my awning for 5 years, and have never made my awning or the side of the trailer greasy and nasty. I fry up bacon, sausage, and eggs almost every morning on the 2 burner griddle. It doesn't get any greasier than that.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:35 AM   #7

Mostly Mexican food.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:09 AM   #8
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
I use the Camco 4 port extend-a-stay and it comes with the hoses. (Model #59123). It allows me to connect to a grill or any propane accessory with ease. It also allows me to connect to a spare lpg tank if the rig runs out of propane. Was a super easy install.
See it here on Amazon. http://amzn.to/2iTzeXA
Attachment 134673
This is the route I am going. I have all the bits and pieces just haven't had the time to get it installed yet.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accessories, propane