Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2017, 08:17 PM   #1

Rant: Satellite TV ready?

I recently purchased a 2016 Coachmen Freelander 21 RS. We have only had it out for one major trip. It has performed well – no major issues except for some quality problem here and there. But I have a bit of a rant. One of the selling points was that this RV was satellite ready. It is right on the brochure and I was certain to get a satellite system for it in the near future. As you look over the RV – sure enough there is a coax connector on the outside and we have three TV outlets. So, you would imagine that it is indeed satellite ready since the brochure claims that. But what exactly makes this satellite ready – that there is room on the roof for an antenna?
Once I got the vehicle in my possession, I started researching and planning a satellite installation. As I looked it over I realized how difficult it will be and how the design of the TV system in the rig is anything but compatible with a satellite system. The primary point of contact is small wall plate sized antenna amplifier/splitter. This device is powered by 12V, provides an input selection between cable (outside connector) and antenna (internally routed from the roof). The Resulting signal then goes through an amplifier/splitter to dual outputs. One of these is routed to the overhead bunk TV (main TV) and the other is routed to the bedroom connector. All of this RG6 cable. There is an external TV and I believe there is another splitter off the bedroom line somewhere in the walls.
Therefore, you have one selector switch between Cable (external) and roof antenna and the signal is routed to all three TVs. So far so good but satellite ready?
Now, if I want to add a satellite system, the natural inclination would be to use the “satellite ready” external connector. However, the satellite coax signal must mate with a demodulator unit. That external cable is routed to the back of the wall plate so I will have to remove the wall plate and pull the other end of that connector. It will be short and probably will require a coupler to get it to the demodulator. Connecting this to the demodulator will forever defeat the cable capability. Not desirable. This will require some coax switching. Most outputs of the newer SAT systems have HDMI outputs only. There are not HDMI cables distributed (in 2015-2016??) so I would need to add a HDMI to coax converter to input this to the wall plate distribution amplifier. By the way another coax switch will be required to switch inputs to the distribution amplifier. So I will have added two coax switches (passive and large) and an HDMI to RG6 cable converter (requires power) in addition to the demodulator. I still have to figure where/how to mount all these things.
My compromise will to be to leave the the existing system as is, install another external coax for satellite. Bring that signal into the demodulator which I will mount on the front TV mount and route HDMI to that TV only.
I think that Coachmen should remove this claim as it is misleading.
This is satellite ready like my butt is hip transplant ready.
Bentspoons
Bentspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:28 PM   #2

We have two inputs on the outside of our trailer, one for cable and one for sat. The sat is only wired to the LR tv which is fine with us.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:12 PM   #3

Being cable ready means that coax cable has been run from the roof to the plate with the 12v outlet.

Most satellite installer won't use that cable (I didn't) due to difficulty in locating it under the roof. (There's no roof penetration from the inside). Installers will run a cable between the inner & outer wall to where your TV is located & then install a standard coax cable connection panel.

As far as the demodulator (satellite box) goes there should be a coax cable connector built in to it with internal circuitry to a HDMI connector which you would then be able to connect to your TV.

I did enjoy reading your rant.

ceedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:17 PM   #4
BOBDAWG

satelite TV ready

Our 2016 Concord came with Dish HD satelite. Front tv had HDMI from receiver to tv and had good HD picture. Bedroom and outside tv were wired with coax and could not get HD. I re-cabled with HDMI cable from splitter off receiver and get a good HD picture in the rear. Am in the process of getting a wireless HDMI transmitter and receiver, so I don't have to drill holes and run HDMI cable under floor to the rear.
bobdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:25 PM   #5
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
We have two inputs on the outside of our trailer, one for cable and one for sat. The sat is only wired to the LR tv which is fine with us.
Same here. The LR location provides two coax connections. One for the sat, the other for CATV and OTA. The 12V switch is for the OTA antenna. The BR TV connection is branched off of the LR CATV/OTA connection via splitter. The CATV/OTA wiring is incompatible with a sat receiver due to the LNB Transponder switching requirements. Not much of a problem for us. We either have SAT, CG CATV, OTA, or all three.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:42 PM   #6

I ended up installing an additional RG6, or whatever it is, sat connection cable from the water closet, where the other Park TV cable connection is located, directly to the Direct TV box. Instead of running the cable through the window to the Direct TV box. Routed it, fished it, through the house. A pain, but at least it works well. I gave up on Coachmen's solutions. I use the actiontec, or whatever it is, HI def wireless transmitter from the front TV to the rear, works well.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:20 AM   #7

Marketing Fluff?

Say it isn't so!

My T12 is advertised and even has a sticker on the side saying "Z-AMP Solar Ready". What did I get? A small connector and thin wires that might be OK for a 60 Watt panel.

Sort of like having a campsite advertising "Water available", then putting a sign at the site telling you the best place to put your rainwater catch system.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:57 PM   #8
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
Marketing Fluff?

Say it isn't so!

My T12 is advertised and even has a sticker on the side saying "Z-AMP Solar Ready". What did I get? A small connector and thin wires that might be OK for a 60 Watt panel.

Sort of like having a campsite advertising "Water available", then putting a sign at the site telling you the best place to put your rainwater catch system.
Dunno about the Zamp... but the Furrion system on mine is rated to 10 amps! Currently I am using a 100 watt portable system that shoves a heavy 5 amps down the line. It works.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:16 PM   #9

Maybe I'm missing something but, it seems that you may be over complicating things?

Satellite ready usually means that you will have an outside connector (which you say you do) and at least 1 designated coax run to the main Tv (you should have a separate wall plate near that Tv) to connect a short coax to the receiver. Then you supply your own HDMI to the back of the Tv for satellite reception.
If there is not a separate wall plate near the main Tv then the manufacturer probably forgot to install it. The dealer should have caught this especially since there is an outside satellite connection they should have looked for the one inside!

There probably is not any coax "waiting under the roof" for a dish installation unless there is a label up there stating "install satellite dish here".

You probably don't have a wall plate in the bedroom because there's only 1 outside connector. Satellite cables need to be "home runs" with no splitters in between. Special proprietary splitters can be installed to feed multiple Tv's depending on which satellite system (carrier) you go with. RV manufacturers don't put them in for that reason.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, satellite