Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2019, 08:04 PM   #1

Rear Fuel Filler

Okay so we are looking to upgrade to a class a motor home from a v-lite travel trailer. And all of a sudden when I look at u-tubes it mentions real fuel filler. Do all class A's have real fuel filler. We have not paid attention to that when looking a class A's? Geez I am so glad that this forum is available to get valuable info from experienced people.
svrcwila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:19 PM   #2

I think all F53 based gas motor homes have the rear gas fill. It's spun as when you get gas you can get it from either side. Well I think it's a pain. I have to park the front of my Miranda 37' in front of the pump to get gas.
JohnMirada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:24 AM   #3

If your saying 'rear fuel filler', then no...most Class A's have a fuel filler on the side.

For most gas Class A's that filler is near the rear wheels. For most diesel Class A's that filler is on the front side....but it could have 2 fillers, one on each side near the front wheels.

If your saying 'real fuel filter', then yes, all Class A's have a fuel filter. Gas Class A's have a fuel filter but it's location is dependent on who makes the chassis. For diesel Class A's, the fuel filter will be near the engine compartment....some on the outside where you can get to it, some on the engine itself, and some near the fuel tank. Just depends on who made that chassis and what engine is installed.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:58 PM   #4

I have a 29ss coachmen and the gas filler cap is on the rear of the coach drivers side. Kinda silly because they say you can reach it from both sides. ..you can't. Wasn't a deal breaker tho. I do have to pull up father than I'd like but hasn't been a problem. Guess when your driving something this big you always plan ahead.
52chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:38 PM   #5

anytime I've transported Class A's from the factories to dealers, I bristle when one is the type or brand that has the 'fill' in the 'middle rear' of the coach, as this is simply the hardest and most aggravating place for a fuel fill on any rv... it's makes little sense for the owner as you have to 'guess' whether you are in line with the fuel hose, and really have no way to know even if the hose will reach until you park, get out, and find out you have to pull up ANOTHER 3 feet, and get 4 feet closer to the pump!

Class A Diesel are by far the easiest - the fills are on either side, right next to the driver or passenger seats..... easy!

but, while it can be aggravating for sure, I wouldn't let that alone determine if I were to buy an RV or not - the floor plan layout is the primary concern.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:23 PM   #6

Rear fuel filler

Just switched from cedar creek fifth wheel to Coachmen Mirada class a. Getting gas was a pain. Found one stop where pumps were horizontal to store so was easy fill as long as the pumps are not busy. Second stop was at a Flying J which now has a separate pump for rvs on the front area with both gas and diesel. Enough room around them to get in and out.

Tom Leahy
irish01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:42 PM   #7

We have a Coachmen Encounter. The fuel door is on the rear almost in the middle. It makes getting gas a real challenge. Because the rear cap is so deep and the filler piping is custom made, I asked the factory if they could put a fuel door on the side of the cap. They said no, reason being is that there wasn't enough fiberglass on the sides of the rear cap. What I did instead was mount a camera on the rear cap just above the fuel door facing to the left. When I pull into a gas station I turn it on and when the pump nozzle comes into view, I'm lined up. Works like a charm every time.
Schwartzworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:21 PM   #8

Rear fuel filler

It takes getting used to but not a real problem so far.
Especially since the gas tank holds 80 gallons so don't have to fill up as often. I had a bigger problem with the ugly filler cap and black surround. Bought a chrome plated locking access door and now happy with the look.

Have safe travels
Bytesponge
2017 Pursuit 30FW
Bytesponge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel