Old 07-04-2020, 12:36 PM   #1

Replace Auxiliary Battery with Battleborn

Hello all,

I know there are plenty of threads in regards to replacing these batteries, but I am having issues finding some specific information so I want to reach out and pick your brains.

I have purchased a 2019 Coachmen Leprechaun 270QB on Ford E350 chassis and I want to simply replace the house battery with a Battleborn 100AH Lithium Ion battery I already own. I understand I will only get to 95% charge with the peripherals that come with that motorhome, and I plan to use my solar suitcase to charge the batteries as well ensuring they are fully topped off. Charge controller of the solar suitcase has a LiFePO2 setting. I will be boondocking exclusively.

1 - will I run into any issues with the alternator charging this battery while driving? I am not sure of the alternator amperage yet as I am waiting for the tech from the dealership to get back to me when they are in on Monday.

2 - does the Onan Generator start using the Auxiliary Battery or the Chassis Battery? If it is auxiliary, I foresee that being an issue as the BattleBorn should not be used to start a small engine.

I am sure there are plenty of devices I could upgrade to make this work flawlessly, but that is not in my plans right now. I want to simply replace the battery with the one I have and plan for upgrading other devices down the road when I find they actually make sense to upgrade for the dollar.

Thank you in advance, I hope I provided enough information to get some of your insight.
pelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:25 PM   #2

Take the lead off your current coach battery and see if the generator starts. That will answer that question. Unfortunately, it's probably the case.

As far as charging the Battleborn from the engine, that's where people run into problems since the unit that combines the batteries may stay connected after the engine stops because of the higher lithium voltage. The get around that the cheapest, just use the circuit breaker feeding the coach battery as a switch and only turn it on when you absolutely need it.

If it was my MH, I would put in a DC to DC charger like the Renogy. Then disconnect the BB from your combiner circuit. Pretty inexpensive and won't break the bank.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Take the lead off your current coach battery and see if the generator starts. That will answer that question. Unfortunately, it's probably the case.

As far as charging the Battleborn from the engine, that's where people run into problems since the unit that combines the batteries may stay connected after the engine stops because of the higher lithium voltage. The get around that the cheapest, just use the circuit breaker feeding the coach battery as a switch and only turn it on when you absolutely need it.

If it was my MH, I would put in a DC to DC charger like the Renogy. Then disconnect the BB from your combiner circuit. Pretty inexpensive and won't break the bank.
Thank you for the response. This is definitely a reasonable option.
pelo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery