Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2017, 10:19 AM   #1

Route Suggestions

I just signed up for the Coachman Bad Lands Round-up in July 2018. We are new to the RV world and would like to continue on west to Yellowstone. What roads/highways should we consider for travel to Yellow Stone from Rapid City SD? While out west any other suggestions for stopping and best RV parks with pull through spaces would be appreciated. We are towing a vehicle so it would be nice if we can find an RV park to stay for several days and do day trips so not to move every day. All suggestions are welcome for this newbe.
k9jkfham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:23 PM   #2

I have been to Sturgis 7 times. After the first trip seeing everything in town I now just spend an hour so people watching and bike watching! Then the rest of time seeing Crazy Horse Mtn Carving and Mt Rushmore, Spearfish Canyon, Needles Highway, Devils Tower, Custer
State Park and all the Buffalo close up and personal!! Then to Sheridan Wyoming for dinner at Buffalo Bill’s restaurant and watch gunfight in street! (They may only do that every-night in Cody now? But they will be able to tell you!)Then to See Where Custer’s Last Stand was! Take some time there!!That is a must see! Still has tombstone markers and Video by park ranger explains what happened. Then go on Beartooth Highway to a little place called Top Of The World! Truly breathtaking views! Then through Dayton Wyoming to Big Horn Canyon or Mtns to Shell Wyoming and then into Cody to eat at Erma’s Saloon and restaurant! All you can eat breakfasts and Prime Rib Dinners! Be sure to see the Rodeo in Cody they have one every night from June through August I believe then past the lake into Yellowstone and then down
to Jackson Hole and be sure to stop at the Million Dollar Bar. Back when a million was a lot of money! Also my daughter and I loved the live Bear exhibit in Rapid City. Good Luck maybe I will see you there! Tons of Bikers there 1st Saturday in August is Sturgis Bike week start! 99.9% are great people you should have no trouble! Except renting a camping site that week! So make reservations fast[emoji1]
Good Luck!! Dennis
Dennis King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:23 AM   #3

Thanks

The Coachmen Round-up trip is 7 days in Rapid City. They are providing the transport to the area sites including Sturgis along with several meals. Then we want to continue on west and find a location where we can park for a week or so and take our own day trips including Yellowstone. Do you have any RV park suggestions?
k9jkfham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:41 AM   #4

Route Trips

Sorry i don’t have the route trips with road names but a good GPS with RV friendly software should easily find the routes with much more detailed info with things along the way. Also the Corn Palace is just befire the Badlands and a nice place to see also before your event starts. Plus of course the little diner that has grown to be a few blocks large at entrance to Bad Lands called Wall Drugs. Oh yea be sure and close all your vents when entering the Badlands if you go in your coach. Dusty risds will cover everything you have in red dust. But now you also HAVE to see Scenic S.D. In the Bad Lands right next to entrance to Pine Ridge? Indian Reservation. They have a post office and old jail cells outside for photo ops. Bar with 3 inches of sawdust on the floor. An oldtime general store and post office. A lot of history right there. Sorry to drag on with places with no routes. I think it will be one of best trips you will ever take. Have Fun!
Dennis King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:41 AM   #5
WDW

Route Suggestions

Quick and easy would be I90 to Bozeman and south on RT 191 to West Yellowstone. Make reservations NOW. Suggestion is Grizzly RV. Other will tell you to go via Cody, more mountain driving and you still need to either camp in Yellowstone or drive through the park to set up a base at West Yellowstone. Those are my simple ideas. Others will expand I’m sure.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
Quick and easy would be I90 to Bozeman and south on RT 191 to West Yellowstone. Make reservations NOW. Suggestion is Grizzly RV. Other will tell you to go via Cody, more mountain driving and you still need to either camp in Yellowstone or drive through the park to set up a base at West Yellowstone. Those are my simple ideas. Others will expand I’m sure.

X2 on Grizzly RV. We were at Yellowstone for 4 days. Wish we stayed more than a week. Grand Teton NP is another great visit.
djeirlessr is offline   Reply With Quote