Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2019, 07:33 PM   #1

Satellite hook up

Have a 2018 Freelander 27QB that I’m having difficulty hooking up the dish playmaker via the outside cable connection.
Information stated that it’s satellite ready, everything I’ve read says that all I have to do is to turn off the over the air antenna booster, but I still cannot get a signal when setting the dish.

Is anyone else having this trouble?
Bulldawg1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:13 PM   #2

Not familiar with the coax installs in your rig but satellite ready typically means that a coax cable for a roof mount sat antenna has been run from somewhere in your unit to the roof and both ends may be unterminated. Your park cable port where you are connecting the Playmaker probably goes to a splitter somewhere in your unit and so it cannot be used for the interconnect between the Playmaker and the receiver. If you can find where the park cable is run to inside and disconnect it from whatever and then connect it directly to your sat receiver it should be good to go. The antenna booster (panel) when on supplies 12 volts to your over the air antenna when using it and it needs to be off when using the park cable input to view the campground park cable input. Depending upon your tv interconnect it may also need to be off for sat viewing. If your sat receiver is connected to the tv via HDMI then it probably doesn't matter if the booster is on or off.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:57 AM   #3

first, run a coax cable DIRECTLY from the Antenna to the Receiver, and make sure that it works ...

when it does, you can then decide how to best 'wire' it within the coach, if it has a 'sat ready' cable connection. While it would seem that this would be an intuitive connection, sat ready may only mean that the factory provided a set of 'pre run' coax cable(s) from somewhere on the roof(hidden, or under the roof covering) and down into the coach(into a cabinet, etc)... You have to add the Antenna of your choice, of course, and your own Receiver, to both ends of these coax cables.

Some RVs actually have a 'Sat' input coax port, such as in the wet bay, or near the normal 'Cable' port, where you may can attach a coax from your Antenna, but even sometimes those are suspect, depending on how the factory actually wired it(meaning, if splitters were used somewhere along the run).

Most of us get very creative when it comes to how we 'run' our Satellite connections, as even when the factory provides 'sat ready' wiring, we sometimes like our own ways better.
I have a coax cable coming into my bedroom slide seal, which feeds my bedroom receiver.
I have another coax cable that comes into my wet bay, and up into the living area via the plumbing 'chase' in the slide, and to the living area TV's receiver.
I have another coax cable that comes into my main bay, under my outside TV...

I also use either my 'portable' antenna, most of the time where it rides on the rear of the roof, when traveling, or my 'ground mount' antenna(the 'normal' open-faced type) when we are parked extensively.

You may find that you can find and access your 'sat ready' wiring, or you may find that it's actually easier and more conducive to your traveling style to 'wire' it yourself... There's no 'magic' to any 'sat ready' wiring from the factory, it is simply the same coax cable you have yourself.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, satellite