Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2017, 06:01 PM   #1

Angry Satellite TV

Okay I'm confused and not that up on hooking up TV's and satellites. But here is my question. I have a 2017 Coachman Mirada Select BH. On the exterior in the storage compartment (see attached picture) there is a coaxial connector for hooking up to cable TV. When I hook up cable TV every thing works fine. So I decided to try and hook up my portable dish to the same connector. I then plugged the cable from the back of the TV into the receiver and hooked the HDMI cable out of the receiver into the TV. I get no signal from the satellite to the receiver. I took a long coaxial cable and ran it directly from the satellite into the receiver and it worked fine. So my question is what would block the Satellite signal when I plug the satellite into the exterior cable connector?
surfnkona2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:16 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

An internal coaxial splitter.
Normal cable splitters will not pass the voltage carried in the coax (from the sat receiver to the dish) necessary to make the sat system operate.

There are special power passing splitters available but R/V manufacturers typically don't use them.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:16 PM   #3

The connection on the MH goes through splitters for all of the TVs inside and out. You found out that you need a direct connection between the satellite and receiver. You can install a satellite on the roof (should be pre-wired) or install a dedicated coaxial line somewhere for a portable. Here is what I did on my Mirada.

LINK: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1356306

AL
1997 F-350 CC PSD
BigHomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 03:34 PM   #4

I fished a new CAT 6 or whatever it is through the RV and put a new coaxial connector next to the park TV connector.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:39 PM   #5

I opened the access panel over passenger seat to accesd the factory spliter. I added a satellite spliter between the cable tv input and factory spliter. The first output has dc pass thru. I ran a cable from it to my entertainment cab over the entry door to my sat. Receiver. The 2nd output i ran to the factory spliter cable tv input.
johndewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:50 PM   #6

Any pictures of the cable you ran from the entertainment center over the door to the satellite receiver?
surfnkona2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, satellite