Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2017, 05:46 PM   #1

screens for keeping bugs off while driving

I'm planning a trip to Alaska next year in our 2016 Freelander with Ford 350 chassis. I know I'll be encountering lots of bugs. I've read about a product called Rejex which is a polymer substitute for wax, supposedly making the surface of the RV slippery enough so that whatever sticks, washes off easily. But I'm still concerned about the bugs clogging up the radiator. Any suggestions for screens that cover most of the front end of the cab?
donkro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:54 AM   #2

91 views and nobody has any suggestions?
Old 11-07-2017, 11:03 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Here's a Google search for F-350 grill screens... do any of these appeal to you?

Grill Screens

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Here's a Google search for F-350 grill screens... do any of these appeal to you?

Grill Screens

See how easy that was ! 👍
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkro View Post
91 views and nobody has any suggestions?
Yes I do! NEVER go to Fla.during "LOVE BUG" season! Youroo!!
Old 11-07-2017, 11:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
yes i do! Never go to fla.during "love bug" season! Youroo!!

😂😂😂
Old 11-07-2017, 11:32 AM   #7

We have made two trips to AK by road. Both in truck campers one with an F350 and the last with an F450. For the first trip I made a screen for the front using 1/4 inch hardware cloth and a frame of aluminum angle pieces from Ace h/w. About halfway to the start point of the AK Highway I decided it might be keeping some of the cool air from the radiator so I removed it. For the second trip I didn't even bother. I found it was easy to just reach in and brush off the larger bugs each morning while I was checking oil, etc. just like I do on every trip. The screen really wasn't necessary.
My main concern was stones but as the whole trip is on pavement the only concern was in construction zones and on most of them we had one lane so I left a good distance behind the car ahead. Only on the Cassiar Hwy were there unpaved sections but the traffic was so light we only met traffic on one part.
I did spend time screening and sealing places in the camper where mosquitoes could enter and that paid off bigtime. For example, if they can get in thru your furnace fitting they will be behind the cabinets and can come out anywhere. Use fiberglass screen to cover the INTAKE side. Look everywhere including the refrig cabinet. It has openings to the outside and must be completely isolated from the backs of cabinets.

2010 Lexington 255 GTS

2000 Jeep Cherokee Toad
dontay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:46 PM   #8

Thanks for the serious replies. As to the sarcastic ones, of course I can google things just like everyone else, but isn't the point of this forum to get advice about which ones work well or not, or what people have done out of personal experience? If you don't want to offer serious advice, maybe this isn't the place for you.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:44 PM   #9

my class A has "diamond coat" on front, which is a clears plastic. it is permanent. I would look for a cheaper clear plastic coating you can apply at least for this trip. check with auto parts stores. as for the radiator, I would use an adjustable window screen. be sure to keep it pretty clean. this would be a lot easier to clean than the radiator. sounds like a great trip! be careful and good luck.
jrowe0521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 02:44 PM   #10

on my E450 Sunseeker I purchased a Fia screen that snaps onto the male snaps they send you to cover the front of the grill. However, if you look closely the space just below the grill is also open and will allow bugs to enter and hit the radiator so I made up my own out of plastic screen. Took it to a friend who bound it with black material to match the Fia. I have never had an issue with bug contamination since.

wogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 03:38 PM   #11
Multi-Slacker

Quote:
. I've read about a product called Rejex which is a polymer substitute for wax, supposedly making the surface of the RV slippery enough so that whatever sticks, washes off easily.
Rejex works
Old 11-07-2017, 03:58 PM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Thanks for the serious replies. As to the sarcastic ones, of course I can google things just like everyone else, but isn't the point of this forum to get advice about which ones work well or not, or what people have done out of personal experience? If you don't want to offer serious advice, maybe this isn't the place for you.
donkro,

Since you mentioned sarcasm & google in the same sentence, I suppose you are speaking to me since I was the one who offered up the google search link.

I apologize if you think I was being sarcastic with my suggestion.
I wasn't.

After reading your 2nd post chastising the 91 viewers of your thread for not one response, I was trying to at least offer something for you to consider.

If my advice here provokes you enough to want me to move on, don't worry... I won't be replying to any of your threads in the future.

Respectfully,
Tim

Old 11-07-2017, 04:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Not a real nice way to make friends, but a good way to turn off any of us that may have wanted to help.
I'll try anyway...
The Ford grills pull off fairly easily, and you can attach some screening behind the grill. It's what I did to our E-450 based Lexington before our trip to Alaska earlier this year. But, bugs aren't going to be your biggest problem...it's gonna be dirt/gravel from the roads and from being thrown up on your rig by passing vehicles. Expect chipped/cracked windshield. 50-50 chance it's going to happen.
Nothing you can really do to protect the front of your rig. Try to find any, and I mean any openings on and under your rig and seal them. If not, dust (the fine talc kind) will get into everything.
Your rig is going to get dirty, filthy, dusty, and probably get stone/gravel chips. But that's part of being on the road daily for weeks on end, especially in BC, Yukon, Alaska.

Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
donkro,

Since you mentioned sarcasm & google in the same sentence, I suppose you are speaking to me since I was the one who offered up the google search link.

I apologize if you think I was being sarcastic with my suggestion.
I wasn't.

After reading your 2nd post chastising the 91 viewers of your thread for not one response, I was trying to at least offer something for you to consider.

If my advice here provokes you enough to want me to move on, don't worry... I won't be replying to any of your threads in the future.

Respectfully,
Tim

Does that mean you won’t go over and help him install the screen too ? 😂
Old 11-07-2017, 06:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Now you are getting hostile! Serves no purpose other than inflaming the discussion! I would "expect" a person to perform research before jumping onto the forum and asking people to perform their research, which you should have done! (period) Your next activity should be to terminate the request for assistance.

Just to be cordial, I once placed a radiator bug screen on my vehicle in the heat of the summer. The screen reduced the air flow immensely to the point of over heating the engine. When I removed the screen, the heating issue was history.

In case you have not researched screen air passage, it reduces air flow considerably. I have a chart that displays the research, but will not post it due to the time to locate it!

Your anger as displayed on this forum is counter-productive to the RV world. So, cool it and we do forgive anger!
l001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:31 AM   #16
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
Not a real nice way to make friends, but a good way to turn off any of us that may have wanted to help.
I'll try anyway...
The Ford grills pull off fairly easily, and you can attach some screening behind the grill. It's what I did to our E-450 based Lexington before our trip to Alaska earlier this year. But, bugs aren't going to be your biggest problem...it's gonna be dirt/gravel from the roads and from being thrown up on your rig by passing vehicles. Expect chipped/cracked windshield. 50-50 chance it's going to happen.
Nothing you can really do to protect the front of your rig. Try to find any, and I mean any openings on and under your rig and seal them. If not, dust (the fine talc kind) will get into everything.
Your rig is going to get dirty, filthy, dusty, and probably get stone/gravel chips. But that's part of being on the road daily for weeks on end, especially in BC, Yukon, Alaska.

Grumpy

I couldn't have said it any better. Everything that Grumpy said, take it to heart. The Alaska Hwy (formerly called the ALCAN), is ten times better than it was 30 years ago, but it remains a grueling stretch of highway. It endures some the harshest winters one could imagine and the road crews spend all summer putting it back together. If you travel this road, resign yourself to the fact that your rig is going to be subjected to everything mentioned above. You will spend a lot of time cleaning your windows and headlights. Don't expect to drive at Lower 48 speeds either. If you do, you will use up your equipment in a hurry.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:12 AM   #17

My apologies to anyone who thought I came off as angry, I wasn't, and to 5picker if you thought my comment was aimed at you. Electronic communication makes it hard to read peoples intentions. Thanks again for everyone else's helpful responses.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:19 AM   #18
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
My apologies to anyone who thought I came off as angry, I wasn't, and to 5picker if you thought my comment was aimed at you. Electronic communication makes it hard to read peoples intentions. Thanks again for everyone else's helpful responses.
Thank you! Apology accepted!

Best of luck with whatever you choose and please report back as to what you decide on and if it works for your application.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:32 AM   #19

Wax is good until your second wash, but do it anyways.
Plastic film like 3M helps to protect from rock chips, but you'll get them anyway.
You will go through a gallon of bug wash on a good day, be prepared.
Cover your radiator, AC condenser and everything else vulnerable with metal bug screen as protection from flying rocks!!! I know what I'm talking about, it gets expensive fast and waiting for parts is no fun either.
Don't replace the windshield right away when you discover the first chip, wait as long as you can.
These issues are not necessarily due to poorly maintained and rough roads, it is because of the amount of salt and chips used during the winter, this stuff collects on the shoulders and on center dividing line just waiting to be kicked right at you.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:09 PM   #20
Site Team

OK, the site team has gone through this thread and done a clean up to remove some comments and posts that violated our site rules that can be found here:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ork&page=rules

• Do not engage in personal attacks
  • Do not take every opportunity to express your disagreement, incite argument, insult each other, or fan flames. Voice your opinion respectfully and then let it go

And most of all
  • We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate any rudeness.

If anyone has a problem with someone else's comments, please contact any member of the site team and we can look into it. Otherwise, please try and treat each other with respect just as you would around a campfire.

Thanks and
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bugs