Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2017, 09:50 AM   #1

Side camera on Coach

Hello all. I've a problem with the passenger side camera - somehow it took on water. I've removed the three screws holding it against the coach but it still appears attached and unmovable. Has anyone taken one of these off? I need to get the moisture and water out. Thanks.
jjd74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd74 View Post
Hello all. I've a problem with the passenger side camera - somehow it took on water. I've removed the three screws holding it against the coach but it still appears attached and unmovable. Has anyone taken one of these off? I need to get the moisture and water out. Thanks.
I have the same problem. Try a hair drier first to get rid of the water before taking it off. If it comes back ( which it will) , it has to come off, come apart and be resealed. These are supposed to be water tight but some do eventually leak. Yours is probably just stuck to the side of the coach with sealant or putty tape. Heat it up a bit with the hair drier and try pulling or pry with a plastic putty knife. Hopefully they left enough slack in the cable.

Disassemble and reseal the lens cover and bottom cover. If the lens cover isn't loose or doesn't fall out leave it alone and just reseal it carefully from the outside. I used aquarium sealer, so far so good. Yes, it's silicon, the worst thing you can use on an RV but this is a camera we're sealing not a roof, door or window. Reinstall with putty tape and hopefully it will be dry for a long time.
Schwartzworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:33 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I was able to get it off with a plastic putty knife unfortunately the lens inside the lens looks warped from the water. I think I'll need a replacement camera at the end of the day :-/
jjd74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd74 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I was able to get it off with a plastic putty knife unfortunately the lens inside the lens looks warped from the water. I think I'll need a replacement camera at the end of the day :-/
Take it all apart, might be an optical illusion due to the water. I doubt water can warp glass. Then again, might be more work than it's worth. They are expensive though.

Still take it all apart, dry it out, seal it up and see what leaks again.
Schwartzworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:32 PM   #5

Glass = silicon dioxide does not normally warp. Heat can warp glass when it approaches 2000 degrees F.

Lens may be plastic... water doesn't warp it either. Plastic can be warped by heat near 320 degrees F.

Look for moisture inside, dry thoroughly.

Good luck.

As a novice Glamper, it still applies.
RobertDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:09 AM   #6
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDS View Post
Glass = silicon dioxide does not normally warp. Heat can warp glass when it approaches 2000 degrees F.

Lens may be plastic... water doesn't warp it either. Plastic can be warped by heat near 320 degrees F.

Look for moisture inside, dry thoroughly.

Good luck.
Water in the wrong place can act as a magnifying glass... seen it start a fire one time.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote