Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2021, 04:07 PM   #1

Question slide toppers attachment question

So I had been hearing a dull thumping noise toward the top of one of my slides when out and windy. After inspecting the area I noticed the hex bar attaching my slide topper to the slideout has moved and either the rivets or screws were missing. Looking at my other slides it looks like none of them have rivets or screws, yet I see holes that indicate maybe they should? Some holes are misaligned. Photos attached. I am looking for some info from you guys of what should be there? Rivets, screws? Or do they just free slide, which I think doesn't seem right. I plan on aligning them back with the holes and putting new rivets in unless that is not the correct set up. Any assistance and photos of your set up would be great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7739.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	250136   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7740.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	250137   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7741.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	250138   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7742.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	250139  
Old 03-20-2021, 05:04 PM   #2

Yes, one or the other I've seen on units. Your first picture shows the hex bar has extended beyond the topper attaching arm where the screw has backed out tap it back in with a hammer till the holes again align.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:52 AM   #3

I would pull the slide in before attempting any corrective action this will place minimum tension on the slide roller and brackets just some to consider.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 12:50 PM   #4

The rod is secured with a self tapping machine screw (really just "nicked" threads at the beginning). If the hole(s) are damaged you might want to consider using some J-B weld (just enough to fill the threads on the screw(s) ) to make sure they remain securely in place. If you don't de-grease the threads they should still be removable at a later date if necessary.

Another method would be to remove the rod, rotate it one flat, then drill and install screw. If you choose this rout be sure and "lock out" the topper roller with a pin. This is installed at the end of the roller "hub" and passes through a hole in the shaft (not the rod you are working on). This will make sure your topper roller doesn't pull a "runaway window shade" trick on you.

Check YouTube for instructions or find the installation manual for the topper online. It will show the pin (which can actually just be a long finishing nail of hole size in the shaft).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:34 PM   #5

All fixed. Was able to shift it back into place. Used rivets and blacked them out for a better blend. Also tightened a few found loose screws on the base plates. Thanks for all the assistance info. Looking like its getting time for a wash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7820.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	250201   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7819.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	250202  

Tags
slide