Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2016, 02:02 PM   #1

smart car

anyone towing a smart car-have questions
msbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 02:18 PM   #2

I don't personally tow one but I helped my parents rig their 2012 Smart to tow behind their Holiday Rambler.
Installed a BlueOx base plate, battery cutoff switch and wired turn and brake lights.

2014 Wildcat 312BHX
2015 RAM 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Keisling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 02:22 PM   #3

do they use a bungee cord on the sterring wheel?
Old 10-27-2016, 02:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbaker View Post
do they use a bungee cord on the sterring wheel?
Yes, they bungie the wheel. They tried it without and the front wheels had trouble centering after a turn.

2014 Wildcat 312BHX
Old 10-27-2016, 03:03 PM   #5

my question is where do they put the bungie cords.I was told 3 and 9 o'clock. then take 3 o'clock and bring down to left leg hook to seat then 9 o'clock and bring down to right leg and hook. I did that and scredded the passenger front tire. the next time put both bungies straight down to sear from 9 and 3 o'cliock, drove 20 miles at 65 no problem. then saw a picture on internet where it shows bungie at bottom sterring wheel at 6 o'clock and back to left and right leg. Which do your parents do it and how many miles would u say they drove. thanks
Old 10-27-2016, 03:19 PM   #6

Tow it?.....why not just toss it in storage...
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 03:23 PM   #7

They use a single that runs from left side of the seat bracket, through the wheel at the 6 position, and down to the right side of the seat bracket. They haven't had any issues in 1000s of miles.

2014 Wildcat 312BHX
Old 10-28-2016, 10:36 PM   #8
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbaker View Post
anyone towing a smart car-have questions

I tow a 2011 Smart Fortwo Pure.
Have done so for over 25,000 miles. No bungee but I am familiar with the method. There is a downside to doing that.
It will cause a side load on the steering. Note: The Pure only has a 2 spoke steering wheel. The bungee will not work well on that. The Passion and Brabus have the 6o'clock spoke.

Here is an excerpt from something I wrote previously:

Congrats,
Now you're a Smartie!
I recommend the Roadmaster plate. It has a much better mounting design. I also use a Falcon 2 tow bar. Works just fine.

You MUST use a battery disconnect switch. I mounted mine on the upper right side of the shroud in front of the console in the passenger foot well. Its close to the battery and easy to install there.

I also use a "blade" key without the electronic fob attached. I do that because you have to leave the key in the ignition and you cannot lock the door after you disconnect the battery.

I use a laminated checklist every time.

I also changed the gearbox sauce at 30,000 miles because it gets hot and there is no cooling when you tow. You will smell it!
Old 10-29-2016, 12:27 PM   #9

When u say done side to bungee- I found that if I hook at 3oclock and bring and hook on rail at left leg and opposite from 9 to right leg it will damage passenger front wheel. But if I go 3 0clock straight down to right leg and hook do 9 and hook left leg to problem. Then I saw pictures where they go to middle bottom 6 0clock and bring down to right leg and other one to left leg and hook. Confused. I have been hearing that no bungee is not good and smart USA will not talk about bungees. Confused