Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2021, 05:25 PM   #1

Switching from a fiver to a Class A Diesel Pusher

My wife and I are planning on switching from our current SOB 40' fiver, to a Coachmen Sportscoach 40 ish Class A Diesel Pusher. Any thoughts about the change in driving, parking, or anything else you may find helpful. I am a retired firefighter/ Driver Engineer/ Paramedic so I have experience driving large, heavy vehicles, I just don't know how a class a drives compared to what I'm familiar with.
Andy n Sherrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 08:55 AM   #2

In 2008 when I went full time, I went from 35 foot fifth wheel*to a 43 foot pusher. The first thing I said to my wife was,I've been missing a lot looking through the truck windshield. For me, I found visibility*to be much better, and set up time was a lot faster. As far as driving goes, that would depend on how your class A handles. In my case, I liked driving*the class A better......Bruce
waco kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:00 AM   #3

Thanks Bruce, I appreciate the input. I hope the new Class A drives nice. Looking forward to the new adventure.
Old 02-07-2021, 09:13 AM   #4

Your wife will also like the fact you don't have to pull over and get out* for a potty break, especially*when its raining......Bruce
waco kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:31 AM   #5
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Really a good choice but one down side is having to have a toad so you can get around once you are set up in a RV park. Enjoy and Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:50 AM   #6

In 2014 I went from a 35' Fifth Wheel to an older 35' Class A DP. While there was a learning curve to get use handling when you're sitting on top of the wheels that steer, it was the best move I made. I drove our our DP until late 2019 when I sold it after our last 8000 mile West trip. I was so comfortable with the DP, I'd take it anywhere. I'm sure length (40+ feet) will offer some challenges in campgrounds, but I'm sure those who currently own 40+ coaches can offer their experiences on.

Now I was only at 35', but (for me) it was so much easier to drive and park a RV that doesn't 'fold' in the middle like a towable. I miss our Class A.

As mentioned, there are other advantages to a Class A, like not having to leave the coach to use the bathroom, fix lunch, get a snack, and setup was so much easier.

Safe Travels.
2019 F150 Screw, 6.5 bed, 3.5 Twin Turbo EcoBoost
w/ Trailer Tow Package - Yellow Sticker Payload : 1810 lbs. (sold)
RGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 02:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGrimm View Post
In 2014 I went from a 35' Fifth Wheel to an older 35' Class A DP. While there was a learning curve to get use handling when you're sitting on top of the wheels that steer, it was the best move I made. I drove our our DP until late 2019 when I sold it after our last 8000 mile West trip. I was so comfortable with the DP, I'd take it anywhere. I'm sure length (40+ feet) will offer some challenges in campgrounds, but I'm sure those who currently own 40+ coaches can offer their experiences on.

Now I was only at 35', but (for me) it was so much easier to drive and park a RV that doesn't 'fold' in the middle like a towable. I miss our Class A.

As mentioned, there are other advantages to a Class A, like not having to leave the coach to use the bathroom, fix lunch, get a snack, and setup was so much easier.

Safe Travels.
We are really looking forward to it, thanks for the response.
Old 02-07-2021, 02:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by waco kid View Post
Your wife will also like the fact you don't have to pull over and get out* for a potty break, especially*when its raining......Bruce
This was definitely a factor. Thanks Bruce
Old 02-07-2021, 02:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by waco kid View Post
We were on a trip to Cincinnati (visit son and family) on I75 in Kentucky when the traffic came to a stop due to a bad accident. After realizing it was going to be a while I shut off the coach. It was a hot day and we had been running the generator while driving so we could run the house AC. It was an hour stop, but we were able to watch TV (in-motion Satellite), make lunch, use the bathroom and stay cool. Yes the MH had some nice travel perks!
2019 F150 Screw, 6.5 bed, 3.5 Twin Turbo EcoBoost
w/ Trailer Tow Package - Yellow Sticker Payload : 1810 lbs. (sold)
RGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:18 PM   #10

Similar to you I retired from a semi rural volunteer fire department after 30 years. I suspect you have driven a cab-over vehicle so that will be similar but the biggest difference for me between operating an engine to a DP is the rear swing during turns and fueling since it is much easier at the station. As far as backing I stayed with sop and always use a spotter.
clhjsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 07:05 PM   #11

started on the ground in tent we went the the whole way pop up class B class C
now in 45 XLT best move ever ,vacation starts as soon as you turn the key
yes the bathroom is nice and having lunch without getting out to go into towable . for me the biggest benefits are the air ride air brakes the engine is way back very quiet in cab not that 7 to8 MPG is great still not bad towing KIA soul as far size goes the back goes ware the front goes just be mind full of tail swing PS buy your FUEL and DIF at the truck stops .stay out of the gas stations you will hit something
Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:32 AM   #12
Fla5er

We traded our '07 5er for a Class A (gas) Holiday Rambler. We had some real issues, which I will not get into in this reply.

Two things that I found while we owned it: One, the storage doors were very low to the ground, which did not bode well for loading/unloading for a trip, or during set up at a campsite. I have a bad back, so I was constantly in pain after loading/unloading: having to get on my hands and knees to get to our stuff. Second, We did find it much easier to park at a campsite without having to deal with a trailer. THAT is a plus.

The last thing to consider is when you hitch up a towed vehicle, that was a timely chore, whereas I can hitch up our fifth wheel and be on the road in about 15 minutes. And the purchase of a towed vehicle is another priority. Finding a car/truck/suv these days that are flat-towable is becoming harder to find unless you consider an older model (more vehicles available for flat towing). Just be sure that you refer to the owner's manual for flat towing (and keeping the towed vehicle's battery charged while towing): be sure to get auxilliary brakes for the towed too!!
This post is not intended to persuade you in your decision to trade for a Class A or stick with your 5er, but rather to help make a few decisions as to the pluses and minuses of either type. We eventually went back to our 5er, as we prefer that type of rv'ing.
If I may make a suggestion: try renting a Class A for a week and see if you'll like it. If you don't, then you're out only the rental money whereas if you buy and then regret.......
FlaNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 02:12 PM   #13

Toad

The new fords 4 wheel drive 2015 and up are very easy to hook up to flat tow I am hauling a 2016 F150 King ranch it is nice and no issues
tking01_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 01:16 PM   #14

All I have ever driven is a class A, so I can't opine on the comparison 5'er vs. a 40 ft. class A.

What I can say though with having 3 class A's, two gassers, and now my Sportscoach 36 ft. DP, over 14 plus years of RV'ing, I would have nothing but a class A.

The driving experience of sitting up as high as truckers give you a commanding view of the road, and your journey. They are not hard to drive, my wife drives ours, with but a few pointers like mentioned watch your tail end on sharp turns or gas stations, in a DP you sit behind the front wheels so the standard here his make sure your hips are at your turn point before you turn. The ride is soft, though because of the airbags it will take a few trips to get used to the side-to-side rocking motion when turning onto a road from a parking lot or sharp turns. Going slower than you would expect during these maneuvers smoothes things out.

Having all of your conveniences right there with you inside the rig going down the highway is great. Thirsty, ask your DW to get you a pop (or soda) from the fridge. Hungry for snacks, I'm sure your DW will be happy to go cut up some cheese with crackers so you can put some more miles on before you stop.

As was posted, you misjudge traffic or timing and you get stuck in traffic and your bladder is screaming at you, put your turn signal on, considerate drivers will let you move towards the shoulder, flashers on and pull over and use your onboard toilet. This happened to me on I80 just outside of Chicago, 5 lanes of traffic at a stop or very slow crawl and I thought we could get past Chicago before we made a bathroom stop. I saw a semi next to me make this move and I noticed where there were exit ramps there was essentially an extra 6 lane/should to pull over on. Easy as all get out.

Pouring rain out when you get to the campsite if you're not towing just pull or back in and either just run out and plug your electric in, or if it's raining that hard, start the genny, sit back with a rewarding beverage for the drive that day and wait out the rain.

Whether you decide to tow flat 4 down or use a dolly as I do, I'm sure either option would be quicker and easier than a pull behind.

Enjoy the Sportscoach!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 01:10 PM   #15

I have a Sportscoach also, Watch your tail swing. If raining when you reach your destination, the coach will operate on batteries for several hours. Flat towing is easier and faster than using a dolly, we tow a Chevy Silverado. In motion satellite can be set for Dish or DIRECTV. You will have less storage both inside and out compared to the 5er. There will be a side to side motion entering and exiting parking lots. Diesel can be found cheaper at local stations but DEF is cheaper at truck stops. We also invested in a front camera to protect ourselves in the event we are cutoff and it causes an accident.

ejw7213 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, diesel, switch