Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2019, 12:49 PM   #1

Toilet/Extended Insurance

WE purchased a 2018 Pursuit with 5000 miles I purchased a warranty at the time of purchase. Cost me 3000.00 On our first outing to Spokane WA, (we live in MN) we had tollet issues Had to use a plunger after a no. 2 issue. Contacted Coachman and after months of waiting they sent us a new toilet. They paid for the toilet but said we would have to pay for installation. That amounts to 1400 something. Wow The extended insurance will not pay so we are stuck with this bill. If Coachman was having issues with said toilet why is this not being taken care of totally! Hope you can give me a answer!
millyfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 02:57 PM   #2
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by millyfred View Post
Hope you can give me a answer!
Just so you know, this forum isn't affiliated with Forest River at all. We're just a bunch of owners. Think of it like sitting around a campfire with buddies.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:18 PM   #3
Coach

Assuming your Pursuit only came with a one year factory warranty, which is likely expired by now, supplying the toilet is standing behind the product. What excuse did the extended warranty company have for not covering? Extended warranties are often not worth the paper they're written on.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 04:23 PM   #4

$1400 for a toilet remove and replace? Holy cow! Why so much? I would of expected a one hour shop time charge, max of $200.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:13 PM   #5

Quote:
WE purchased a 2018 Pursuit with 5000 miles I purchased a warranty at the time of purchase. Cost me 3000.00 On our first outing to Spokane WA, (we live in MN) we had tollet issues Had to use a plunger after a no. 2 issue. Contacted Coachman and after months of waiting they sent us a new toilet. They paid for the toilet but said we would have to pay for installation. That amounts to 1400 something. Wow The extended insurance will not pay so we are stuck with this bill. If Coachman was having issues with said toilet why is this not being taken care of totally! Hope you can give me a answer!

I do believe you, but I would never pay that to anyone, either call a mobile RV repair guy or any plumbers repair or handy man can install it for you your talking about 2 bolts and a water line to remove then reinstall I can do it in a half hour, who was going to charge you 1400 for installation, what do they think you just fell off a banana truck. That is simply outrageous in my opinion which means nothing, if I was in CG next to you I would do it for a beer or two.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 06:55 AM   #6

Something is missing or wrong with the OP. Many questions. If warranty covered the part, they would cover installation if done at a dealer. Why do you need to replace the toilet if it was just clogged? $1,400 to replace a toilet? Milliefred, can you clarify?
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:03 AM   #7

if I was the 'extended warranty' company, I wouldn't pay $1,400 to replace a toilet either! (even if that INCLUDED the toilet!) Crazy.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 03:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Something is missing or wrong with the OP. Many questions. If warranty covered the part, they would cover installation if done at a dealer. Why do you need to replace the toilet if it was just clogged? $1,400 to replace a toilet? Milliefred, can you clarify?
Rusty
from what he said Coachmen sent him a free toilet even out of warranty, but they told him he was going to have to install it, I don’t think any extended warranty company would pay for that.
Old 12-14-2019, 04:03 PM   #9
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
$1400 for a toilet remove and replace? Holy cow! Why so much? I would of expected a one hour shop time charge, max of $200.
X2 on the $1400! I'm still trying to figure out the $3000 on the first outing?

(me thinks this might be one of those "drive-by" posts)
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 03:03 PM   #10

$3,000 for a warranty that doesn't cover a toilet, and $1,400 for installing a toilet. You need some help with this stuff or your MH is going to broke you. These are outrageous numbers.
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 03:12 PM   #11

I would just remove and replace the toilet myself. At least then you have a chance that it is done correctly rather than letting some dealership screw up... screw your rig up! If your expecting car warranty style service, your about to be upset and frustrated. The warrantees on these things are very restrictive at best. They are in no way "bumper to bumper" and do not cover a great deal of what you will face. Many things will require you to self help or pay up.

2019 Ram Bighorn, CC/SB 2500 4x4 6.4L/8 Speed, Max Tow 14,460 lb/2,940 lb payload.
2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5 Eco, 12,800 lb/1,546 payload.
2020 Coachmen Apex UL 289TBSS
2019 Quality Trailers 16'x7' 7K GVWR Utility Trailer
2019 IronBull 22'x102" 14K GVWR Equipment Trailer
Larry0071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:33 PM   #12

Did they give you a macerating toilet to replace the original. That's what they did for me, The labor hours to install that toilet was 10 hours so it was a very expensive installation. Although coachmen did pay for the whole thing with mine but it was within the first year. Coachmen knows about the issues with the toilet tank but still fights everyone for the fix.
DaveandChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 05:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveandChris View Post
Did they give you a macerating toilet to replace the original. That's what they did for me, The labor hours to install that toilet was 10 hours so it was a very expensive installation. Although coachmen did pay for the whole thing with mine but it was within the first year. Coachmen knows about the issues with the toilet tank but still fights everyone for the fix.

What is wrong with the tank? There is a lot of people on here that own the same M/H. Is this a common problem? If it is I would say Coachmen has a big problem. Yes I can see 10 hrs to do yours, and I wouldn’t call that a DYI fix for sure.

Old 12-18-2019, 08:45 AM   #14
Broken Toe

Quote:
The answer is: You just learned lesson #1 about extended warranties. Basically, they are worthless. I would cancel it at your soonest possibility and get a refund. Then take you unit to a good independent RV repair shop. I guarantee, they will fix or replace your toilet completely for less than $1400.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:25 AM   #15

I agree completely about taking any and all RV service you can't do yourself to an independent service shop. They work with manufacturers and extended warranties all the time and know how to talk to these entities to get the work covered.

But to say all extended warranties are worthless is incorrect. Some are worthless, some are worth every penny. It's up to the purchaser to do their homework, then read all the fine print, to decide if it works for them.
We had a Platinum level 5 year XtraRide extended warranty that more than payed for itself and was a pleasure to use, all over the country.
So good policies are out there, the purchaser just has to do their part to find them.
As far as the OPs toilet replacement problem, I feel we don't have the whole story. But they should definitely take it to an independent, talk to them about getting it covered under warranty, what the cost is and why, and go from there. I would love to know if they were given a reason the replacement wasn't covered in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
The answer is: You just learned lesson #1 about extended warranties. Basically, they are worthless. I would cancel it at your soonest possibility and get a refund. Then take you unit to a good independent RV repair shop. I guarantee, they will fix or replace your toilet completely for less than $1400.

Tim
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 11:12 AM   #16
Retired Old Fart

I would highly recommend NEVER using the person/dealership who gave you that $1,400 install quote. They are intending to rob you blind as the saying goes. To me this would also bring into question their ethics and service price gouging on ANYTHING they may do. Time to find another source for service if you can't do it yourself.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 11:23 AM   #17

The problem with the tank is that it is only 2 to 4 inches deep where it goes across the frame then dumps into a deeper tank. So if you put extra water in befor you use it it just flows to the deeper part. My toilet had a 90 degree elbow just under the toilet directed to the side of the tank so the paper would build up with each flush. the problem is that the paper dries out between use because all the water flows down to the deeper section of the tank leaving the ball of tp behind. the macerating toilet seems to be the only solution. Im sure the extended warranty only covers replacement of like toilets so if coachmen gave you a macerating toilet that may be the problem. I would keep talking to coachmen to try to resolve the problem since the have replaced several toilets at no cost. A regular toilet might work if you were always at full hookups because you could use tons of water but when dry camping it doesn't work well.
DaveandChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 04:30 PM   #18
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I agree completely about taking any and all RV service you can't do yourself to an independent service shop. They work with manufacturers and extended warranties all the time and know how to talk to these entities to get the work covered.

But to say all extended warranties are worthless is incorrect. Some are worthless, some are worth every penny. It's up to the purchaser to do their homework, then read all the fine print, to decide if it works for them.
We had a Platinum level 5 year XtraRide extended warranty that more than payed for itself and was a pleasure to use, all over the country.
So good policies are out there, the purchaser just has to do their part to find them.
As far as the OPs toilet replacement problem, I feel we don't have the whole story. But they should definitely take it to an independent, talk to them about getting it covered under warranty, what the cost is and why, and go from there. I would love to know if they were given a reason the replacement wasn't covered in the first place.

For the interest of making a point, I generalize. Of course, there are some "winning" stories with extended warranties, but they are very few and extremely far between.

From where I stand, people will get taken to the cleaners if they think of the extended warranty as an extension of the factory warranty. It's usually not and most likely is administered by a third party whose business model does not include such things as "customer satisfaction", "honoring commitments, or even "making money by giving it away". You will find many caveats, provisos, requirements and deductibles involved in making a claim. All in an effort to do absolutely everything except pay to repair your camper.

If you view the extended warranty as sort of a 'catastrophic health insurance' for you unit, you will probably be closer to the mark of its benefits. If a light fixture falls off the wall, it's most likely not going to be worth fighting over, but if one of the axle mounts breaks a weld, then you will be happy you had it.

As you said, it's up to the individual to determine if it's cost effective. In my case, my dealer offered a free hitch to bumper lifetime warranty. After looking it over, I declined. It wasn't worth it.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:35 AM   #19

Two days ago, plug to my power cord, which was plugged into a surge protector (on a 2019 unit bought in 2018, so out of factory warranty) failed. Power cord ruined ($350), dishwasher fried ($900) and fireplace also fried ($300). Guessing at least $500 in labor. Thank goodness for XtraRide. 10 weeks into my extended 7 year warranty and I've already have half my money back. Just sayin'.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:21 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
X2 on the $1400! I'm still trying to figure out the $3000 on the first outing?

(me thinks this might be one of those "drive-by" posts)
USED RV. $3000.00 was the cost of the extended warranty. Bad move on his part.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote