Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #1

Towing a 2012 or newer 4 wheels down

I have moved the baseplate from our 2010 Wrangler to the 2012 Wrangler. We tow the Jeep four wheels down. I read somewhere that you no longer have to leave the key in the "on" position with the 2012s. That the wheel no longer locks in position which is the reason you need to leave the key in the ignition in "on" in the 2010 Jeep. Since you don't have to leave the key on, you also don't have to remove a battery cable when towing, (i.e. worry about the battery discharging).

Anyone know? If I don't need to leave the key on, I don't need to disconnect the battery and it makes the entire hook up and unhook process easier.

BTW, the owners manual has the same instructions in it that the 2010 does however, clearly, the wheel is not locking up when the jeep is off and the key removed.
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #2

For anyone interested, the consensus from other forums is that you don't have to leave the key in the Jeep since the wheel does not lock and if you don't need to leave the key in the ON position, you don't need to disconnect the battery.

Even though I've been doing just that for two years now on the 2010 Jeep, apparently I didn't need to. The 2010 Jeep wheel does not lock either. I though it did.

So FYI

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
Flovern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
I have moved the baseplate from our 2010 Wrangler to the 2012 Wrangler. We tow the Jeep four wheels down. I read somewhere that you no longer have to leave the key in the "on" position with the 2012s. That the wheel no longer locks in position which is the reason you need to leave the key in the ignition in "on" in the 2010 Jeep. Since you don't have to leave the key on, you also don't have to remove a battery cable when towing, (i.e. worry about the battery discharging).

Anyone know? If I don't need to leave the key on, I don't need to disconnect the battery and it makes the entire hook up and unhook process easier.

BTW, the owners manual has the same instructions in it that the 2010 does however, clearly, the wheel is not locking up when the jeep is off and the key removed.
I tow a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited four down. You do not have to leave the key in.
flovern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #4

I have a 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - do I need to leave the key in?
Also, looks like the Jeep weighs ~4200 lbs. can I tow this with a 319DS or 320BH?
It looks like it but just wanted to be sure.
Any recommendations for tow set up?
ChesapeakeTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
outdoor addict

I have 2013 Sahara Unlimited. I have taken it and my 29DS and it fits into the weight limits. As well I do not leave the key in it, no need to and the Patriot brake system plus into the unswitched power outlet inside the console.

Norm
nakerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakerr View Post
I have 2013 Sahara Unlimited. I have taken it and my 29DS and it fits into the weight limits. As well I do not leave the key in it, no need to and the Patriot brake system plus into the unswitched power outlet inside the console.

Norm
Norm, how did you do your tail, brake and turn lights?

Roll
Old 07-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
outdoor addict

I had a BluOx wiring package installed by the dealer when they installed the base plate. It consists of a socket at the baseplate and separate lamps installed into the taillight enclosures. It does not involve the vehicle wiring so no isolation, etc. required.

Norm
nakerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:08 PM   #8

I have a Leprechaun 319ds & want to tow my 2013 wrangler sport. What's the preferred braking system for the toad? Retiring in 3 weeks & ready to hit the road! Advice from the experienced welcome!
greenwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwr View Post
I have a Leprechaun 319ds & want to tow my 2013 wrangler sport. What's the preferred braking system for the toad? Retiring in 3 weeks & ready to hit the road! Advice from the experienced welcome!
I tow a Wrangler Unlimited (the 4 dr wrangler). I bought the Patriot Brake system for no other reason than I have a Blu-ox hitch system and Patriot is their product. It works fine though I think there may be other options now that were not in the market when I bought (March 2011).

It is not hard to set up but does take a few minutes to pull out of the back, fit in the floor well, hook to the brake pedal and plug in for the automated set up cycle. And, when I stop the coach and turn off the engine, that cuts power to the Patriot and so I have to reset it when I start to move again.

If I were buying now I might go for one of the units that hides under the seat and does not require installation with each use.

Gary