Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #1

Transfer Box

Hello! I just got a used Coachmen Concord 2007. First time for motorhome. I am get ready to install an EMS. The instructions ask before Transfer Box or after Transfer Box. I don't think I have a Transfer Box but want to know how I make sure. To use the Gen you have to plug the power cord into a 30 AMP Recp that comes from the Gen. Can anyone help me?
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #2

My understanding is that transfer boxes are added to make sure you can't get power from shore and gen simultaneously.I have to plug my shore cord in receptacle to get power from gen (therefore I can't use shore power at the same time).
Thus, I wouldn't see a need for a transfer box.
It might be worth a call to Coachmen to verify.
2013leprechaun319dsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply. That makes since.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013leprechaun319dsf View Post
My understanding is that transfer boxes are added to make sure you can't get power from shore and gen simultaneously.I have to plug my shore cord in receptacle to get power from gen (therefore I can't use shore power at the same time).
Thus, I wouldn't see a need for a transfer box.
It might be worth a call to Coachmen to verify.
An automatic transfer box just makes the transfer from gen to shore power automatically. It will connect to the generator normally until you plug into shore power then the transfer box automatically switches to shore power.

It's a must have for me but others will disagree. It's raining and your shore power kicks out for some reason, I can start my generator and have power immediately, no going out into the rain to unplug from the shore pedestal and replug into the compartment receptacle.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote