Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2019, 06:47 AM   #41

Depends on how you camp

We went from a TT to a class C then to class A. But our camping changed from traveling to parking in Florida for the winter, 6 months. We liked the C but it got small after several months. Thought about a 5er but the cost of camper and tow vehicle was more than the A. Plus we tow our F150. Much to think about!
Tomban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 12:40 PM   #42

1. Class C is noisy going down the road - engine plus interior stuff rattling around. For long trips I'd rather ride in a PU towing a trailer. You can only do so much to stop dishes and other stuff from rattling and making noise. You can barely hear the radio.

[/QUOTE]

THIS is why we sold our Forester 3011DSF. Now have a truck & 5er. All the rattling is behind us. (Pun intended). Now DW’s only complaint is the diesel is too quiet, doesn’t sound like a truck 😊. And when roaming around at our destination we just prefer a truck to a compact toad.
Pops8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:23 PM   #43

Up to a Class C???

Love our class C Forester 3051.

It may be noisier that a 45 foot diesel pusher but no issues with the radio etc as far as listening.

We started with the c since the DW hadn’t really camped before except a couple times. We knew tents were off the list and didn’t have a tow vehicle so it was a good starting point for us.

We tow a 2018 Hyundai Elantra sport six speed and don’t even know it is there. Towing four down makes hook and unhook pretty easy. We did the rental car thing first year but lost too much time getting and dropping off so got our own to take.

Wife has everything packed so we have no rattling going down the road. Some custom cut pool noodles under the metal stove cover etc.

Love having everything all in one place as well. She can go make sandwiches, get drinks, etc and we don’t even have to slow down let alone stop.

We will be moving up to a class a for retirement though. Couple weeks is enough for her in this one. The larger one will make spending the winters traveling much more comfortable.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:27 PM   #44

We have a 32 foot Coachmen Class C with the Ford V 10. Just returned today from a 4 week vacation in California and we live in Wisconsin. Spent time camping with hook-ups and time without any. Loved everything about our coach but it is just the two of us so we had plenty of space inside. We did not tow anything and averaged 7.8 MPG at 70 MPH both traveling through the mountains of Utah and Wyoming as well as the flats of Nebraska .. which surprised us.

We are happy we went with the Class C.
NHGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:06 AM   #45

I don"t know that I have much to add to the discussion as I am relatively new to RVing and bought my C based on the needs of a person travelling alone. I have a Coachman Leprechaun 220QB. I have had it about 15 months and initially only used it for weekend trips in Florida with the goal of becoming a full timer. I knew once I got to my work venue I wouldn't need to worry about gas mileage as it would be my stationary home for a period of time. I wanted something that would allow me to access the kitchen, bathroom and bed with slide in. The U shaped dinette I use mostly as a sofa, quite comfortable. 92 cubic feet of outside storage with the corner queen which is definitely a pain to change the sheets on. Lack of swivel cab seat is the one thing I didn't get that I wanted. I tow a Ford Fiesta hatchback and was very comfortable driving from Florida to the Badlands on my own.
judyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:26 PM   #46

Had my share of RV's over the span of 50+ years and each has it's advantages. 82 years old now and have RV'd in every state and from one end of Canada to the other. We're on our 2nd 40 foot 5th wheel and haul it 1300 miles to the Texas coast every October and come home about tax time. When we get there we have a small wooden porch with I think 5-6 steps waiting for us. It makes all the difference in the world. No summer camping anymore. We pull it with a Chevy Diesel 2500 and love the power.
Wind and speeds are a major factor with fuel for RV's. They'll never be the same on the same trip. Being underpowered can cause more fuel to be used. Mt theory is that if your that concerned about fuel maybe you should be staying home.
ER17453361 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c