Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2021, 12:36 PM   #1

Weird Rattle Noise under Acceleration on 2017 Coachmen Class C

I just purchased a 2017 Coachmen Freelander Micro built on the Ford Transit 350 HD with only 22,000 miles and under slight heavy acceleration or load (usually starts at above 45MPH or greater) it makes a bad rattle sound (almost like something is lose, but I checked everything underneath and everything appears to be secure) The rattling sound stops the very second I let off of the gas so makes me believe it is not a lose exhaust heat shield, etc like some suggested online. It sounds like its coming from the front passenger side area near the catalytic converter? Any ideas? I tried to contact local Ford dealer (as I figured would be under warranty) and they just blow me off or say they don’t service RV’s. While no recalls show for my specific VIN, I did notice that some Transits has a drive shaft issue recall but I honestly have no clue where that rattle is coming from. Does not rattle while stepping on accelerator in Park; only when driving and under acceleration. No rattle if I can maintain steady cruising speed. Thanks for any suggestions or insights you may have!
sjls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 12:43 PM   #2

I don't know your unit, but most have one or more heat shields. Have you checked them.

In regards to your local dealer, you should not be surprised but there are many Ford dealers that do not service RVs. I have had more than one that told me they do not have the services. Usually, only which served commercial Fords, are the one who also serve RVs.
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 01:54 PM   #3

Yes I did crawl all over underneath the vehicle and checked all the heat shields and everything is tight and secure. While the rattle sound it makes sounds like it would be a lose or damaged heat shield the issue is only present under heavy acceleration. Regardless of any travel speed the second I let go of gas peddle the noise stops. I'd imagine if it was something lose that the vibration and motion would continue the noise for a slightly longer period of time before fading off.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:20 PM   #4

I have experienced the same and do believe it is likely the heat shield. My RV is the same year as yours. All mounts, bushings, etc are in good shape. The issue is more likely to recur for me in high temps, high elevation an under heavy load. I do not have a solution for it.
2017Prism2200FSHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:09 AM   #5

Surely could be something loose in the the most inaccessible location, but it could be engine pinging. Might want to have someone with pinging knowledge listen, too.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 11:16 AM   #6

(2017Prism) You mentioned you have the same year motorhome but is yours the Ford Transit model as well? I'm wondering if this is more of a Transit issue? I going to be taking a trip soon and will try to find another Ford Dealership along the route and see if they can take it for a test drive.
Old 08-11-2023, 11:18 AM   #7

Rattle

Just wondering if you found the cause of this? I think I have the same thing on my 2017 Coachmen Orion. It sounds like a raking noise and is usually starts around 60 mph on hills. It usually goes way after cresting the hill. I did see a YouTube video that showed a Transit on a hoist with the engine running and how there was a rattle at the end of the catalytic converter. The fix was to put a weld or strap on it.
Kader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 11:26 AM   #8

Are these vehicles 4wd? I had similar issues with my F150, and heat shields was the Internet's favorite answer. In my case it was actually a vacuum check valve for the front hubs that was bad. Lower engine vacuum on hills would allow the hubs to partially engage, the check valve is supposed to prevent that. Clicking it into 4wd, or letting off the gas stopped the noise immediately. An $8 valve fixed it, located directly above the master cylinder, so easy to change.
Old 08-11-2023, 11:35 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyCorp View Post
Are these vehicles 4wd? I had similar issues with my F150, and heat shields was the Internet's favorite answer. In my case it was actually a vacuum check valve for the front hubs that was bad. Lower engine vacuum on hills would allow the hubs to partially engage, the check valve is supposed to prevent that. Clicking it into 4wd, or letting off the gas stopped the noise immediately. An $8 valve fixed it, located directly above the master cylinder, so easy to change.
As far as I know, Coachmen doesn't make 4wd motorhomes.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 01:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
As far as I know, Coachmen doesn't make 4wd motorhomes.
Actually, they do now. I saw one at the Rally this year during the factory tour it's the 2023 Entourage sits on a 4x4 Diesel Chassis. I thought it was really silly but they said that it's more for those that do a lot of boondocking off the beaten path.

Tags
class c, coachmen, noise