Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2014, 12:17 AM   #41
AWF 1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjearle2 View Post
So just curious. How many Aviator owners are out there now?
2013 AWF 1957 purchased in August of this year, was a trade in only used once.
dshome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:08 AM   #42

Congrats! And welcome aboard. I hope you'll enjoy it for many years to come:-)
Naviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:14 AM   #43

Welcome! That's a great way to buy an RV! If you make any mods please post them. I am always looking for ways to make a nice camper even better.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:35 AM   #44
AWF 1957

Thanks Kenhwy61,
I have made a few upgrades and repairs and will do more. So far added a new "oversized" tube to accommodate a rhino flex hose from this place- Sanitubes / Sewer Hose Carriers / NEW!! SUPER-SLIDER Adjustable SUPER-TUBE - DW Inc. had to move the bracket mounts further apart and cut off about 4 inches from the 3" abs sewer outlet. Works well.

Will also add more led lights to the cabinet, pantry and closet areas.

Also have plans to do something with the ridiculous blousy curtain upfront.

Happy trails,
David
Old 11-18-2014, 12:05 PM   #45

I also want to do something different about the front curtains. I was thinking something along the lines of a powered shutter setup. Not sure if that's possible with the compound curvature of the glass, but that would be sweet!
Old 11-18-2014, 12:20 PM   #46
AWF 1957

Naviator-

I just ordered another section of I-beam and rollers from- RV Supplies, RV Accessories & RV Parts for Motorhomes, Campers, Travel Trailers & 5th Wheel Campers - fifth wheel camper - RV Plus
and plan to form the same radius below the top, have new curtains made that will be supported from both the top and bottom. Extra material on the width to create a "pleated " look without just sagging down. Will certainly post progress and pictures- if it turns out ok. I am thinking anything will be better than what is there now! I have researched both aviation and marine applications with no luck in something available to the DIY'er, only mega buck solutions with custom bells and whistles. I like practical not extravagant.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:33 PM   #47

I also increased my sewer hose holder to fit a longer hose and added led lights to pantry and closets. I think all us Aviators would like to see what can be done with the front curtains. Something without snaps and that opens and closes easily would be great. Looking forward to what you guys come up with.

1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 11-19-2014, 12:14 AM   #48
cjearle

Well now my Aviator will be in the shop longer. We have a decision to make. The dealer can not unstop the black water tank flush. They think it is crimp from installation. So that tells me the dealer I bought it from did not make sure it worked prior to taking possession . UGH! So now this dealer that has been working with says they will have to cut thru the underbelly, cut the black tank out to remove it. We are not crazy about this idea and do not know what to do. This is all insane. My aviator has been in the shop more than I have had it. So frustrating
cjearle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 01:21 AM   #49
AWF 1957

Quote:
Well now my Aviator will be in the shop longer. We have a decision to make. The dealer can not unstop the black water tank flush. They think it is crimp from installation. So that tells me the dealer I bought it from did not make sure it worked prior to taking possession . UGH! So now this dealer that has been working with says they will have to cut thru the underbelly, cut the black tank out to remove it. We are not crazy about this idea and do not know what to do. This is all insane. My aviator has been in the shop more than I have had it. So frustrating
This may sound redundant, but have they run a wire down the hose or a camera? I would not believe the kinked line would require removing the tank, but not sure how that flush attachment is configured. If it were me, go purchase a 36" camera snake and run it down the inlet pipe and see if the line is kinked before they tear into the underbelly. You can always use the inspection camera for other projects, I have used mine for many tasks. Hope you get it fixed.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:18 AM   #50
cjearle

That is a great idea! I will call them and suggest that. If they don't have one I will purchase one myself. Thanks! I really don't want them to tear out the underbelly!
Old 11-19-2014, 08:33 AM   #51

As was already said by David, fixing a kink or even replacing the flush valve shouldn't require the removal of the entire tank. They will have to open the underbelly but I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have cut mine open in multiple places to inspect and repair things. Just make sure that they reseal the opening appropriately. I think once all the initial bugs are worked out you will have a reliable and long-lasting camper. So hang in there!

1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 11-19-2014, 09:37 AM   #52

I was looking at those inspection cameras on Amazon. You really can peek just about anywhere and I had no idea they were so cheap now. They have some for under $20. It looks like it just plugs in to a laptop. I might have to put one on my Christmas wishlist!

1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 12-06-2014, 11:51 AM   #53

Ok picked up aviator and they said leak was fixed. Went to Dallas and left it for two days, came back the whole trailer was flooded. The repair place said they could not find any leak. It's the weirdest thing. It leaks intermittently. This time it was bad. Flooded the carpet and ran up the sofa. I called repair place but they are 10 hours from where my trailer is. Called coach net and they said if I used a mobile service it would void my warranty. Called forest river and got the usual voice mail. I'm headed back to Dallas which is where my trailer is in one week for holidays and will not be able to use it. I am fed up with not being able to talk to a human at forest river. FOREST RIVER I will never buy another one of your products again. Considering lemon law.
lorettayoung1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:24 PM   #54
cjearle

So sorry you are going thru this. Were you able to get in touch with Susan at forest river? We are having major issues as well. I called the dealer in Oregon told them I was ready to start Arbitration!
Old 12-06-2014, 01:44 PM   #55

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Quote:
So sorry you are going thru this. Were you able to get in touch with Susan at forest river? We are having major issues as well. I called the dealer in Oregon told them I was ready to start Arbitration!
It's my understanding that in these situations, that as soon as you mention taking legal action that they will stop working with you to protect themselves from any further action. The best thing is to not say anything to them about legal stuff and just go ahead and file suit and surprise them with the consequences. A mere threat will get you no where and just make things worse.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 01:49 PM   #56
cjearle

It is in my contract to go thru Arbitration first. Then if it can not be worked out we go further. We are trying to work with the dealership. In our findings we are discovering this was a Demo unit that forest river took on the road. That is explaining all the wear and tear that is showing up. So we thought we bought a brand new unit but it appears it was demo unit.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:35 PM   #57

Susan at FR never answers the phone lol
Old 12-06-2014, 03:10 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorettayoung1954 View Post
Ok picked up aviator and they said leak was fixed. Went to Dallas and left it for two days, came back the whole trailer was flooded. The repair place said they could not find any leak. It's the weirdest thing. It leaks intermittently. This time it was bad. Flooded the carpet and ran up the sofa. I called repair place but they are 10 hours from where my trailer is. Called coach net and they said if I used a mobile service it would void my warranty. Called forest river and got the usual voice mail. I'm headed back to Dallas which is where my trailer is in one week for holidays and will not be able to use it. I am fed up with not being able to talk to a human at forest river. FOREST RIVER I will never buy another one of your products again. Considering lemon law.
Loretta, check out the link below. I can almost guarantee your leak is coming from behind the docking station and running out from the bathroom and into the livingroom. The problem is using pex fittings on braided hose. This is an industry wide practice. It seems no actual Pex to braided fittings exists so to make the transition the correct way would require 3 fittings: a pex- mpt, a barbed- mpt and a threaded union in the middle. This takes too long for them to assemble so the industry just hopes the pex to braided fitting doesn't leak. I eliminated all those fittings by removing the winterizing system entirely and instead just use compressed air to winterize.

RW38RL Slide in slide water/clothes washer leak fix - Redwood RV Owners Community

1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 12-07-2014, 10:57 PM   #59
Rivnut

head count

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivnut View Post
cjearle;
Hang in there! Mine is in the factory now with structure problem, and few items the dealer would not do, At factory They give me a good feeling I will be satisfied. Met several other FR owners and they say all our problems will be addressed. If problems last, the rally in August is good time they will make it good.
more info when I get it back.
Floor needed a support angle and stuffing pushed back to support the floor. good to go.
Got all fixed and will check it out good going to FLA Dec 9th, Did develop a water leak at slide corner, think I got it fixed or will. Will be under the Corona palm trees.
Rivnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:59 PM   #60
cjearle

Yah! Have fun. Mine still in the shop!!!