Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2015, 09:36 PM   #41

Look forward to seeing your pictures! Camping on a Florida beach sounds pretty nice about now even though it has been pretty mild here. Someday I will make it down to the sunshine and sea breezes

Finished up my water system redo by finally getting to the valve station. I made a two panel design to mount everything to. By attaching everything to the bottom section the need to pull out the panel for servicing is no longer necessary. Everything can be reached by removing the top access panel. This means the flexible braided tubing can be eliminated because the slack and flexibility are no longer needed. I also had removed the winterizing valves as I always use compressed air. Now it is clean and simple with minimal chance for leaks. The vast majority of water leaks on the Aviator come from this area due to the incorrect use of braided tubing with PEX fittings.
It wasn't all work today though. Took some time for a cup of coffee, a nice fire and and an old WW2 movie!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	docking station.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	95696   Click image for larger version

Name:	docking staion 2.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	95697   Click image for larger version

Name:	relaxing in av.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	95698  

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:16 PM   #42

The area behind that panel is where several of my leaks and crimps took place. What were they thinking?? Looks like someone dropped a hand grenade into a large pot of spaghetti.
What is the substrate you used for the new center? Looks like aluminum or stainless steel.
Pumped a gallon of bleach into the FW tank to sanitize before leaving Wed. I'll drain it tomorrow AM. I brought it home for 2 days to get it ready to go. Hope I don't get any guff from the neighborhood Nazis. Most of them have no idea what the CC&Rs say about RVs at your home. I'm legal for 30 days at a time but rarely stay over 3 days at a time.
I'm still amazed at how fast the refrigerator cools down on our unit. The two 120mm fans I installed in place of the single 80mm make all the difference in the world AND they are much quieter than the 80mm. Even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:41 PM   #43

I actually used a left over scrap of marine grade plywood and painted it to look like aluminum. I agree on the looking like an exploded pot of spaghetti. I've removed about 3/4 of what was there so now back there looks super simple with very little leak potential. I also did the two fan mod. It is beyond me why a company that has been making refrigerators for decades would think that kind of annoying whining noise would be acceptable. With all the mods you've done I always thought you kept your Aviator at home. You must keep it at a RV storage lot I'm guessing. Living in the boonies has its advantages. Nobody cares what I do!

1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 12-07-2015, 09:13 PM   #44

Actually I live in a gated golf course community with rules up the wazoo. A lot of retired CEOs and corp. execs that have nothing to do but complain about everyone else. Not my idea of an ideal place to live but the investment potential is great. I would love to have 10 acres somewhere near here, but DW says she would not feel secure when I wasn't around. Granted there is little to no crime here on the island but I don't worry about that. Our last home didn't even have locks on the doors. Times have changed.
Being a firearms instructor, nobody causes me any trouble. I've trained 6 residence in the use of home defence firearms and tactics and the word just seemed to get around. Works for me.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:42 PM   #45

To heck with investment potential! Go get that 10 acres and put up your dream pole barn with an oversized air conditioned shop. Tell your DW to come camping, boating and fishing with you and she will not only feel secure but have fun too!
I haven't locked a door here in the 20 years I've lived here and wouldn't have it any other way. Besides locks only keep out the honest thieves!

1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 12-08-2015, 07:24 PM   #46

DW has been in real estate since the 70s, so investments are part of her DNA. She started her own HOA management business that has grown exponentially. She planned on 15 neighborhoods and now has 46. She has agreed to sell the company when it hits the 50 mark. Until then, buying a piece of land and putting up that pole barn will have to wait. BTW, why is it called a "pole barn"?
Old 12-14-2015, 10:40 PM   #47

Winter project continues

Since winter doesn't seem to coming to Minnesota this year I've been able to keep working on my Aviator. I've just about finished underneath with cleaning up all the electric, plumbing and duct work. The first pix is a foamboard insulation piece I made to cover the shower drain floor opening which is quite large. I covered the drain piping with non-stick wrap before spray foaming it in case I need to service it. I also spray foamed around where the heat registers go through the floor. Inside the trailer and behind the fireplace is another large floor cutout made to run wires. The hole is big enough for all types of undesirable rodents so I foamed that too. Finally, I added 4 square feet to the undersink cabinet by extended the shelving all the to the wall. I added led lighting as well. One thing I've noticed and is often mentioned on this forum is the amount of construction debris left hidden behind all the cabinets. Why they don't keep a shop vac in the trailer and clean as they work is a mystery to me. lots of things could of been done in a more professional construction trade fashion but I am overall pleased with construction of my Wright-Flyer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	drain cover.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	96225   Click image for larger version

Name:	behind fireplace.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	96226   Click image for larger version

Name:	undercounter.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	96227  

1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 12-17-2015, 05:55 PM   #48

New wheel well to protect against blowouts. 1/8" steel mounted to frame with 3/8" bolts.
I've had my wheel well ripped out twice now and a lot of damage under it. The original wheel well is paper thin sheet metal that offers absolutely no protection to the wiring harness, propane and water lines that some genius engineer chose to run right in front of the tire so it would be destroyed by a tread separation.
The energy exerted by a flopping tread is tremendous. It will destroy anything it touches before it rips loose.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1151.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	96350  
Old 12-17-2015, 06:06 PM   #49

Are you doing both sides or just the side where the propane line runs? I don't believe the China bombs are going away time soon so great idea. Those blowout can really cause a lot of damage. If car tires blew out at the rate ST trailer tires do there would be a congressional hearing!

1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 12-18-2015, 08:07 PM   #50

I'm just doing the right front well as there is nothing much under the left side that needs protecting. I'm seriously concerned about that propane gas line and electrical wires running side by side in the same harness. If they both go at the same time, you will become a 60 mph torch that would be impossible to save. Probably wouldn't have a problem changing lanes to get to the side of the road. I'd let me through!!
That new wheel well cost big bucks, but it's going to be done right or not at all. As a retired commercial pilot, duct tape is not an option.
I'll post finished pix soon. Newcastle RV in Brunswick, GA has been a God send to getting me back in operation. They had the well built two days after taking it to them, and will finish installing it tomorrow and within insurance estimate plus deductible. First class folks to do business with.
FYI. http://www.tiresafetygroup.com/tire-...ed-plant-code/
Old 01-04-2016, 08:48 PM   #51

Winter Project continues

Next up in my underbelly makeover is the three tank heaters. One was just hanging by the wires and none of them worked. When I flipped any of the three switches all the pilot lights turned on but none of the heaters actually got warm. I determined the 12v positive leg was getting there but something with the ground was wired wrong. Keep in mind there is really no way these are checked at the factory because it has to be quite cold for them to operate. Anyway, I cut the white ground wires that ran to the heaters and ran a new ground directly to the frame. Now they all work as they should. You can even hear the converter fan increase with the increased amp draw. Each heater draws 4-5 amps as shown in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20160103_134432_283.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	97268  

1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 01-04-2016, 09:15 PM   #52

Twelve to 15 amps is a lot of juice. Hope its on at least a 20 amp circuit.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:02 PM   #53

Only one Aviator recall out of 122. Not too shabby.

Forest River recalls from Dec 12, 2015 to Dec 24, 2015 @ Pissed Consumer
Old 01-06-2016, 10:03 PM   #54

Looks like the recall was for electric steps the Aviator doesn't even have!
I probably would have been a pissed consumer myself if I weren't able to do all my own repairs. With all the little things wrong, I wondered at first if a I made a wise buying decision. I've since put in a lot of hours improving but now feel it was well worth it and am looking forward to hitting the road!

1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 01-08-2016, 08:51 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHwy61 View Post
Looks like the recall was for electric steps the Aviator doesn't even have!
I probably would have been a pissed consumer myself if I weren't able to do all my own repairs. With all the little things wrong, I wondered at first if a I made a wise buying decision. I've since put in a lot of hours improving but now feel it was well worth it and am looking forward to hitting the road!
I agree about being happy I made a great investment in the Aviator. The site about all the recalls was meant to let others with FR products to use to see if their units had any recalls.
I only saw one that would affect ANY AVIATORS. Mine didn't come with electric steps either, so we are good to go.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:31 PM   #56

Warm enough for more mods!

A balmy 30 degrees gave me a chance to do some more work on our Aviator. I added a really cool color digital thermometer and ran the probe through a small hole I drilled in the grab handle. Right below the thermometer I put a small led lamp that turns on with the courtesy lamps. This illuminates the control panel nicely and gives you a nice "welcome back" lamp to keep you from stumbling into a dark camper. Also, it can be turned on from the bedroom using the bedside switch. Might be useful for checking on strange noises in the night!
I got the idea for the lighted handle from this forum. Very easy and looks great. I wired it in with the over-the-door light and put a switch on the control panel to operate them both. I also added a solar thermometer in the utility compartment to monitor the underbelly temperature. It uses the led light I previously installed as its power source. All was fairly easy to install with all the wiring right there at the control panel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20160202_145200_566.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	98813   Click image for larger version

Name:	door light mod.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	98814   Click image for larger version

Name:	basement thermometer.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	98815  

1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 02-10-2016, 10:04 PM   #57
cjearle

YAH! Getting our Aviator back from Goshen. They have been so good to us. Took care of every problem and then some! So Happy. Picking it up early March. Forest river has us forever.
cjearle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:26 PM   #58

I'm glad they are taking good care of you Carol! Post some pictures of the new paint when you can. I never did hear back from Susan about Aviator history so if you happen to talk to her it would be interesting to learn more. What else did you have them do?

1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 02-24-2016, 11:37 PM   #59
cjearle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHwy61 View Post
I'm glad they are taking good care of you Carol! Post some pictures of the new paint when you can. I never did hear back from Susan about Aviator history so if you happen to talk to her it would be interesting to learn more. What else did you have them do?
KenHwy61,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. We are finally going to pick it up March 3rd.
We had the whole camper repainted (same color). Added a second air conditioner, had a rear camera installed. They repaired the under belly, replaced the awning that was falling apart, repaired the air vents that were never cut out completely the created a rain effect due to condensation in the camper, they replaced two tv's and the Blue ray player. Replaced the wall between the bath and living area (because the dealer did not tell us the original TV was ripped out of the wall and there was a hole in the wall and the extra long screws they used to screw a metal mounting plate to wall, went clean thru the bathroom wall, Dealer applied the paint sealer to the windows as well which etched to the glass and would not come clean. They hired someone to come and polish all the glass. They replaced the front hood because the dealer mounted our sway bar mounts incorrectly, which cracked the hood. Replaced the mattress because the other was horrible. Repaired the black tank wash that never worked. Repaired the door locks, doors would come open for no reason, was not latching properly. Lordy the list goes on and on. We can now finally hopefully enjoy our Aviator.
Forest River has us forever. Susan has been so good to us. I will try to get the history of the Aviator for you. We are taking her and her crew to lunch for being so kind to us. Can't wait!!!
Old 02-24-2016, 11:48 PM   #60
cjearle

By the way we are moving back to AL. Did not care Nevada and to store the Aviator out there was a house payment basically. Hope to be moved back first part of summer.

Tags
modifications