Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2014, 08:42 AM   #1
cjearle

Question Concerned almost owner

Hello Everyone,

We put a deposit on what may be the last brand new aviator. We flew to Oregon to check it out and fell in love with the camper. Then back in the hotel I found this forum. Now my mind is racing. Very concerned if I am buying a barrel of problems. Our last four digit number is #1912. It is a beautiful wright flyer. We expressed this form to the salesmen and he talked with his owner who in turn is giving us a 7 year extended warranty to help ease our fears. Theprice has been greatly reduced so as one of members stated I don't think I will take a blood bath in this HOPEFULLY! What do you Aviator owners think is it truly worth this after owning one for a while.

Concerned,
Carol
cjearle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:02 AM   #2

The Aviator certainly is cool rig. Too bad they didn't "fly"...

If you are getting a significant discount and an extented warranty, and you like it better than an Airstream or whatever else, why not? If you plan to trade it in a couple years, might not be a good investment, but if you like it and keep it for the long term, it may be a pretty good deal.

I would, however, go through the extended warranty with a fine tooth comb looking for exclusions. Water damage is a common exclusion - which can be a major cause of repairs if you have a leak on the roof or around a window that does damage to the walls.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:55 AM   #3
cjearle

Thank you for that advice! What kind of issues if any have you experienced?
Old 07-14-2014, 05:15 PM   #4
Site Team

Keep in mind the number of posts you are reading about in comparison to this site's membership of almost 61,000 members. Like with most things people tend to speak up more when unhappy. Take in all information you can and then make the best choice.

Does anyone know if the second year warranty is available on the Aviator or not? I know there's an extended warranty offer on the table but I was wondering if this also could be an option in additional and if it would have better coverage for year 2.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:10 PM   #5
cjearle

Well we made the leap. We talked with Forest River and the dealer gave us a bumper to bumper warranty for 7 years to ease our concerns. And forest river sad they do carry spare parts and replacement windows for this unit.
So we are now the proud owners a 2013 Wright Flyer Aviator!
Old 07-14-2014, 09:12 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjearle2 View Post
Well we made the leap. We talked with Forest River and the dealer gave us a bumper to bumper warranty for 7 years to ease our concerns. And forest river sad they do carry spare parts and replacement windows for this unit.
Congrats on your new Aviator. We'd all love to see pics
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:15 PM   #7
Site Team

Congrats on your new Wright Flyer Aviator! And as someone else stated in another post - let the good times begin!!

When do you take delivery? As with any unit I would suggest insisting on a detailed walk-through (PDI). Ask lots of questions and take good notes. A smart phone can come in handy for taking pictures and video. We are also here if you have questions or need help.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:16 PM   #8
cjearle

Now the owner

Well we made the leap. We talked with Forest River and forest river said they do carry spare parts and replacement windows for the Aviator. And the dealer gave us a bumper to bumper warranty for 7 years to ease our concerns.
So we are now the proud owners a 2013 Wright Flyer Aviator! We drive up to Oregon in August to pick it up. Can not wait. Looking forward to possibly running into another Aviator camper on the road. How many owners live in the south? We live in Alabama.
F-250 2014
Old 07-14-2014, 09:26 PM   #9
cjearle

We take delivery of it in August. That is the only time we can drive up to OR. We live in Alabama . Sutton RV flew us up to OR this past weekend and we did a preliminary walk thru. That is when they offered us the extended warranty at no cost to help us make up our minds. You offered great advice and thank you for that. Can not wait to hopefully meet an Aviator owner on the road home with it. We are planning to camp our way home. EXCITED
Old 07-14-2014, 09:29 PM   #10
cjearle

Thanks! When we pick it up in August I will post Pics on our travels across the states. Will be driving from Or to home in AL.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjearle2 View Post
Welcome to the forum from Indiana! I looked on line at the brochure for the Aviator and can't understand why the unit isn't more popular. I think it is a really neat rig and believe you will enjoy it. It is certainly not a typical box shape and everything inside looks really cool with plenty of storage. I tend to like things that are not "cookie cutter" and this rig fits that bill well.

Good luck with the new rig.
rburns4147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:36 AM   #12
cjearle

Wink

I as well do not like the same ole thing kinda person. That is one thing that attracted us to the Aviator. It is very unique and very striking. Love the futuristic abilities this camper offers. Cant wait to put it thru the test.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:50 AM   #13
NELA

The dealer flew you from AL to OR...their cost? AND threw in 7 years full warranty.... their cost? SHEESH!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:33 PM   #14

I hope you love yours, we had ours about 7 months before trading in, I fail to see how they can give you a bumper to bumper warranty on an rv that FR has only the parts on hand and as it was with ours many things had to be made as there were no parts in inventory, your model number makes it about the 12th unit made out of the roughly 70 that were made.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:37 PM   #15
cjearle

Yes they did do all that. And I will tell ya after the treatment I got from them I will go all the way back to Oregon and buy another unit from them If warranted in the future. Sutton RV In Eugene, OR are incredible to work with they make it very smooth and no pressure kind of sales. We talked a lot over a month and they offered to fly us out. I am sure it will be a tax write off for them.

As for the warranty It will only help off set some cost if something has to be rebuilt. I also spoke with someone at FR and they reassured us that they have spare parts for the Aviators including windows and cabinets. The warranty has a 100 deductible so I believe it is worth it. I had expressed the concerns we had after reading some of these comments on here. that is when they offered this warranty.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:07 PM   #16

The Dealer is in Oregon.... you live in Alabama....? How do you plan on collecting any type of 'warranty' work? Other local Dealers will not honor 7 years. If any 'issues' is that major to warrant you to take the unit back to the Oregon Dealer for 'repair', me thinks the Dealer came out ahead.

Glad you got what you wanted, (I think?) but we have not seen any numbers to justify a feeling of such a great deal. If the Dealer was within a 100 miles, I can see that, but thousands of mile? It sounds like the warranty policy can only be for a catastrophe. Or am I really missing something?

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:18 PM   #17

Cjearle2 welcome to the forums from HUNTSVILLE, AL

Hope you enjoy your new rig!! May I ask a question? Will the 7 year warranty be honored nationwide? I know our RV Dealer (Dandy in Anniston) will honor warranties from other dealers but only after everyone local (who purchased here) is serviced - just say'n.

Do NOT want to rain on your purchase - sounds FANTASTIC!!! Just want your eyes wide open and if you are anywhere near Dandy, contact them because they will be your warranty support dealer -- and they are good people!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:16 AM   #18
cjearle

Wink

Yes the warranty is nationwide. And i can't complain it was free! I will not loose. As for what i paid for the rig It originally listed for $91,547.00. It is fully loaded. The only option I did not receive is the keyless entry. It is brand new never owned. They had it reduced to $59,547.00 and we got them down to $47,200.00. Plus they flew us out there.

And BamaBob Thanks I will check out Dandy. We are very Rural where we live. We live in Cherokee, AL on the river. I am 45 minutes from anything. We talked with a Rv dealer in Florence when looking at RV'S and was not impressed. I am all about customer service. and my first impression is my lasting impression and they did not cut it. But I have read the warranty and it is bumper to bumper other than normal wear and tear. I do understand I will not get first class treatment since i did not buy the unit from a local dealer.

This was the only new one we could we find. And as the long drive, well lets say all six of my children do not live in the same state. I have one in Nevada, one in Texas, and moving my other son to Nevada from Florida. So we are combining the trip. Move him in August then travel on up north to OR and vacation back visiting family as we come home. I have family in NC, LA (north and south), TN (east and west), Southern Texas, Nevada, Florida, AZ, I have always wanted to see the North West. I have always lived in the south, never ventured out. This is getting me out to see there is another place other than TN, AL and FL. Thanks to my children! HAHA
Old 07-16-2014, 08:48 AM   #19

I just checked out the Aviator on-line. What a nifty unit, I'm impressed, You certainly got an excellent price, great Dealer treatment and a spiffy travel trailer. Good luck with your Aviator, looks like you'll be having a blast camping in it.
One warning----- Be prepared for lots of campground interest, questions, and "can I look inside" inquiries.
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:45 PM   #20
cjearle

Rschlader, Thank you very Much. It is a nifty TT! Can not wait to give it a run on our way back home!

And Thanks for the warning!

Have a great day