Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2016, 02:52 PM   #1

Interior height

The wife and I love the look of the Aviator and hope to find a used one somewhere. These are rare birds indeed. What's even more difficult than finding a used unit is finding information on interior height.

I'm 6'4" and barley fit into many TT's. Low counter tops and sinks are one thing, but walking hunched over is another. Will I fit?

Does anyone have the actual specifications from floor to ceiling and the shower pan to ceiling?
saltsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:03 PM   #2

The Aviator has 6' 10" ceilings. The shower pan is raised up about 4 inches but does have a raised skylight above so you should fit. Let us know if you have any other Aviator questions!

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:44 AM   #3

Great news! Now I just need to find one. There are two Wright Flyer's for sale (Florida, British Columbia) but listed insanely high. I guess it will take some time of them to come down. Wish I knew about these earlier.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:36 AM   #4

I don't think the price will come down but will actually continue to go up. The pricing on the few used reflects that. There are only 35 Wright-Flyers in existence and there is nothing else built like it.

1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 08-26-2016, 10:28 AM   #5

For your benefit, I want that to be the case. I think it's actually a bit more rudimentary.

After talking to the sales managers at both dealers, the price isn't set based on rarity, quality, or even market demand. It appears they saw the nearly $90K MSRP, assumed typical depreciation, and set the price. When I suggested a modest depreciation based on actual selling prices of new units reported here, I got the response: "Unfortunately the depreciation numbers you've calculated are way off. Those numbers are only ever based on depreciation from full MSRP price of an RV when it was new. Not from a wholesale, model year clearance price."

On the rarity of the trailer, the responses were: "We sells a lots of these and they are in high demand...", "We still sell these all year long and they do not last on site...".

Neither had any understanding of the composite construction either. When asking about parts, they suggested "Most parts are universal from Forest River", "We can’t get any of the cabinet doors from the factory after purchase (so) we make them by hand to match exactly in our cabinet shop". "Our Body shop make doors, fiberglass and skins."

I do agree the Aviator will hold it's value if for no other reason than people like me who are willing to drive all the way across the country to get one. But, at the end of the day, it's still a mechanical item. I'll pay a premium, but it will be a while before it becomes an appreciating asset. I hold faith that at some point in the future, Americans will see it for the quality and innovation it represented... but for now, it's still a substantial premium over comparable footprints... and that was the original reason it only sold 70 units.

Anyway, I'll keep looking! I really appreciate the community... i'm jealous of you guys...

If anyone wants to find a loving new home for their Aviator, contact me ;-)
Old 08-26-2016, 11:59 PM   #6

I am selling mine it is posted at Craigslist St George Utah check it out it is the first one ever built serial 1906
rmtaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:21 AM   #7

My significant other, Roman, is 6'4" and loves the aviator because he fits in it so well �� the shower is roomy enough for him and he had head clearance.
snowtosurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:01 PM   #8

rmtaya - sent you a message in CL.
snowtosurf - great to know!!
Old 08-28-2016, 03:42 PM   #9

Didn't get you message in cl try again or text me thanks
rmtaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:39 PM   #10

I'm so happy to see these post about the Aviator Wright Flyer. Still can't believe I was so fortunate as to buy one. They are perfect as far as TTs go. My friends ask me why I didn't buy a big 5er for that same price. I have yet to see any 5er with the features the Aviator has. NO WOOD! Welded aluminum structure inside. A roof you can dance on. Five inches of slab styrofoam insulation in the wall and ceiling. Two ACs. How cool is that! Sorry, but I digress.
The "Bomber" is my hobby as I am retired, but with a DW that is chained to her desk. Sooooo, it has become my "thing to do and place to go" almost every day.
Just finished installing a Direct TV automatic antenna system and more inside compartment lights. Also had a protective film installed on the front two edges to protect against rocks thrown up from the road. You can't even tell the stuff is on there as it matches the colors perfectly.
Getting ready next week to dig another hole in my back yard for another 55 gallon drum to serve as a sewer dump. Already have one, but don't want to take any chances and have a stinky back yard.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 10:06 PM   #11

Saltman, are you soon joining Blackhat6mike (Eddie) and me as a Wright Flyer owner? Eddie knows about all there is to know especially in the electrical and entertainment systems

1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 08-28-2016, 10:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmtaya View Post
I am selling mine it is posted at Craigslist St George Utah check it out it is the first one ever built serial 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHwy61 View Post
Saltman, are you soon joining Blackhat6mike (Eddie) and me as a Wright Flyer owner? Eddie knows about all there is to know especially in the electrical and entertainment systems
Hope so... and I'm pretty handy with electrical and automation systems. Lot's of ideas floating around my head on potential mods.

It's all about finding one at a price I can afford at this point. We're willing to pay a premium, but... we have to keep it in perspective with other family responsibilities. We'll see. Hopefully rmtaya will come through
Old 08-28-2016, 10:27 PM   #13

Good luck with your purchase! We bought ours as a future retirement plan. It was built to last so that makes the high price easier to take. If you do get one our little owner's group will be happy to help in anyway we can. Mods are really fun and both Eddie and I have done a lot of them!

1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 08-30-2016, 02:27 PM   #14

I'm in! Got one!

Does anyone know the hitch height off the ground? I have a 4x4 Dodge Ram 3500 and need a drop shank for the weight distributing hitch but don't know the length needed.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:36 PM   #15

19 1/2 inches

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
ToyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:37 PM   #16

To top of ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
ToyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote