Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #21

going to pick mine up this Friday, after talking to the factory rep. today at the local dealer turns out Forest River has only had 15 units sold to the public as of today.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:10 PM   #22

Welcome to thevClub

Welcome to the Aviator Club. Apparently, this is a small club. However, that doesnt change my mind about the Wright Flyer we just purchased.

Please share: which model did you buy? Which color? Where did you buy it?
Old 05-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #23

we got the wright flyer, with the premium paint all options except the sony tablet. seems like a well built trailer, on par with my airstream. will see how it stacks up this weekend when we hit the campground. got it at giant recreation world here in winter garden as the owner just bought the last 19 2013 aviators the forest river had on hand.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:03 AM   #24

Sounds like a great unit. We also got the WF with the premium paint and all the options. Tammy is now working on getting the Sony tablet to work, as it is a few updates behind. We bought ours in Omaha at AC Nelsen and it was the only one they had, and they were getting anxious to sell it. It is clear that the Aviator is currently priced too high for the market, and it will be interesting to see how FR adjusts.

Let me know how your experience pans out, and I will keep you informed about how it works for us.

All the best
Old 05-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #25

well the one i got stickered for 89,000 we paid about 64,000, thats a bit higher than other places but I had to dump my 2013 36 CKTS. Was told the 2014 will be less expensive by means of using cheaper components and construction, knowing Forest River they will ruin the model instead of just going after the high end travel trailer ( Airstream) market.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #26

I don't know Bob, but that sounds pretty reasonable for a full-time quality unit. I look forward to pics and your impressions. What tv are you going to use with it? Is it pickup day today?
Michael
Lovely Wife and Son, two terriers, and Ringo the cat!
Masondood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #27

Hi All,

I just bought a WF Aviator from Giant Rec about 2 weeks ago. I was really close to purchasing an $89,000 Airstream 27' Serenity, thank God I didn't. Started investigating the Aviator for both design and construction and was convinced this was the way to go. Seems with an Airstream you are buying into the quoted "Lifestyle".

List on the Aviator was almost 91,000 with tablet and 2 A/Cs, premium paint, etc etc.... The Airstream has none of the electronic and fireplace options plus the slide on the Aviator gives great room in the living area. We used it last weekend and had a great time. ACs keep the unit really comfortable and quiet, in Florida 2 ACs is a must. Rained like Cats and Dogs one night and didn't know it was raining without looking out the window. The unit's a little heavy in the tongue but a good quality hitch fixed that problem right away. Im pulling with a 2013 F-150 Ecoboost and doesn't even know its back there except for the fuel mileage, LOL! Ouch. I have had a few issues but Giant Rec jumped right on them and got them fixed. It seems no matter the price, they all have stuff to repair.

I am told the serial numbers so far run from 1903 to 1973. 35 are WF and 35 are Electras. My serial is 1922. I was told it takes from 6-9 months to build because of the new materials and its all hand built. I was told they have never made a Spirit yet in this platform but have made a Spirit in a Pilot platform. I have been in a Pilot Spirit and its a BIG trailer! Nice layout but I am really happy with the WF layout. The beauty with this is that the slide can be closed and the unit is still completely useable. The Spirit is not.

I heard also that FR, if they continue with the current Aviator line, is going to keep the exterior but take cost out of the interior. I think thats a bad move. FR should make it even more upscale to compete with the new Airstream Land Yacht that lists for $150,000. 25 are going to be made and all are already sold and it wont be out until August.

I would like to see better fabrics or leathers for the upholstery and another color for the wood or even a brushed aluminum finish. Also a choice of flooring other than linoleum. The loveseat/bed fold out should have an option to just make it a loveseat recliner, we're never gonna have 6 sleeping in the unit. We were afraid we were going to have to purchase a new mattress, but the mattress is very comfortable and seems to be of a higher quality than most RVs. The structure seems to be built as strong as a brick s--t house and all the doors and hatches function well, right from delivery.

A couple of small wants would be to have an electrical cable reel and a water hose reel to make life easier. Who says you can't have Prevost luxury in a travel trailer. I have always said, if they made a Prevost travel trailer they couldn't make them fast enough. For the moment, the Aviator seems to be the Prevost of the travel trailers.

The all fiberglass roof makes for no caulking on a yearly basis except for the one vent pipe coming through the roof. Hallelujah! That will save some money and leaks! And the all painted exterior surface should prevent fading because no decals for the graphics are used.

LOOK OUT Airstream, the Aviators have you in their sights!!!!

Paul

2013 Ford F-150 Limited (Black)
ToyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #28

Don't Cheapen the Aviator

Toy Boy,

Your observations are spot on, as I see it. FR built a lux trailer, a game changer, leave it as such. They need to work on marketing and manufacturing efficiencies, not cheapen the product. We looked at the Pilot version of the Spirit-of-St Louis online. Sorry, a real disappointment.

We have already addressed the reclining love seat vs hide-a-bed issue. La-Z-Boy makes a reclining love seat called the Cole which fits the slide out perfectly. We are also replacing the mattress. Other than that, we will hit the road with OEM goods.

We looked at 5ers (Cedar Creek) and Airstreams, but nothing matched the Aviator for the quality, storage or unique style. FR needs to support this great new product line, not retreat in defeat. Success requires fortitude, not timidity.

Hope you enjoy. Keep us posted.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #29

Thanks Rovingbear,

You are right, sounds like FR needs a better sales department. People are still saying the economy stinks, but believe me there is plenty of money out there burning holes in peoples pockets that are looking for the best of the best. I have several friends that have large buses (Prevost) and thought they had talked me into that money pit ($1,500 for one tire, PLEASE), but when I showed up with the Aviator, they started thinking maybe thats the way to go. The appearance of the Aviator had their jaws dropping and couldn't wait to get inside and look around. Its simple to tow and simple to setup and can also get into Parks where the buses aren't welcomed. Also when you store it your not worried about keeping the engine, batteries and oil up. They were afraid that the interior was going to be cheesy but to their surprise they liked everything but the upholstery. They asked if there was a more upscale version and i said not yet. They liked the size and had never really thought about a trailer before but had looked at Airstreams but were not impressed. One of them said maybe he'd buy one for something different when he didn't want to go through the hassle of getting the bus ready to go for a short weekend trip to the beach.

I have been looking at campgrounds in the Great Smokey Mountains operated by the USFS and the largest sites only allow 35' units in most parks. What I would like to see FR add is an generator or provisions to mount a generator on the back as the Park Service campgrounds dont have electric hook-ups.

How do you plan to get the love seat into the slide? I know the love seat thats in there can be taken apart but not sure about the Lazy Boy love seat as to getting it into the trailer.

I think that FR should not use the name "Travel Trailer" but go a little more upscale and call it the first luxury "Towable Coach"! After all the original coaches were pulled by horses. Part of my own business, deals in the mega and super yacht world and the builders and designers create this "Snootiness" attitude and for some reason makes their clients want the vessels even more, and seem to enjoy bragging about the price they paid to their friends. FR should aim some of their sales efforts more toward the celebrity market as many celebs use Airstreams on their appearance sites.

I have to admit, its exciting owning something that only 15-16 people in the US and Canada own. Its shows we're either ahead of the norm or dumber than a box of rocks! LOL

I hope everyone has a Great Holiday!

Paul
Old 05-31-2013, 04:00 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masondood View Post
I don't know Bob, but that sounds pretty reasonable for a full-time quality unit. I look forward to pics and your impressions. What tv are you going to use with it? Is it pickup day today?
Michael
just back form our first outings here is our list of warranty items.
1. entry door out of alignment, deadbolt will not lock and frame being scraped up.
2. a few hinges need adjustment
3. strange flashing of LED in bathroom and slideout when bathroom fan is turned on.
4. no flow from kitchen fawcet.
other items missed by dealer during prep. due to rush for us to us it at Disney last week. as far as tow vehicle I am using a 2012 F350 DRW
Old 05-31-2013, 09:56 PM   #31

hi Bob: I'll be interested to hear what happens with the resolution of these items. Although I am not yet an rv'er, there does seem to be a serious issue with quality control in the rv world. Aviator is a premium product at the price point they're charging and stuff like this is simply unacceptable. Tell me, apart from the issues you've enumerated, did you enjoy the maiden voyage?
Michael
Lovely Wife and Son, two terriers, and Ringo the cat!
Masondood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:35 PM   #32

Hi Michael,

I know you addressed this to Bob, but I thought I would chime in on your question. I bought my Aviator WF from the same dealership. So far I have had about 12-15 repair items. Some minor and some, somewhat major and one really major, yet to be repaired. I can tell you that everything has been repaired by the dealership to my satisfaction and in a timely fashion.

As to the quality control issues, yes your are correct. Obviously the RV industry doesn't manufacture to the same standards as other industries. I am in the manufacturing business and we abide by ISO and SAE standards for manufacturing. Im not quit sure why the RV companies don't abide by the same standards for manufacturing as the automobile industry but the RV industry seem to march to their own drum. However, following some sort of standards would cause costs and prices to rise. They do have to follow DOT standards but not sure about construction standards.

It was rather funny, when I pick up my unit, the dealer told me to have a pen and paper handy to right down anything wrong or not working. I guess they saw the look on my face and repeated, "You will have a list of repair items, its the RV business." They were right but overall, compared to some other horror stories I have heard about other brands, the Aviator seems to be pretty well constructed.

Thx,
Paul
Old 06-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBoy View Post
Hi Michael,

I know you addressed this to Bob, but I thought I would chime in on your question. I bought my Aviator WF from the same dealership. So far I have had about 12-15 repair items. Some minor and some, somewhat major and one really major, yet to be repaired. I can tell you that everything has been repaired by the dealership to my satisfaction and in a timely fashion.

As to the quality control issues, yes your are correct. Obviously the RV industry doesn't manufacture to the same standards as other industries. I am in the manufacturing business and we abide by ISO and SAE standards for manufacturing. Im not quit sure why the RV companies don't abide by the same standards for manufacturing as the automobile industry but the RV industry seem to march to their own drum. However, following some sort of standards would cause costs and prices to rise. They do have to follow DOT standards but not sure about construction standards.

It was rather funny, when I pick up my unit, the dealer told me to have a pen and paper handy to right down anything wrong or not working. I guess they saw the look on my face and repeated, "You will have a list of repair items, its the RV business." They were right but overall, compared to some other horror stories I have heard about other brands, the Aviator seems to be pretty well constructed.

Thx,
Paul
So you bought the other WF that is over at Giant for paint repairs? What else have you noticed? and lastly do your LED lights flash when you turn on the bathroom fan.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #34

Hey Bob,

Yep thats my unit. I think I saw yours in the service bay today when I was picking mine up. Other than the paint, I have had a few adjustment issues but they did replace the water pump because the check valve was stuck the first time I attached it to a hose at my home. The other problem has been the subwoofer in the surround sound doesnt work and they cant figure it out but it will get replaced at the factory in a couple of weeks. Also the factory did not connect the TV to the surround sound so you could play the TV through the surround sound system. GRW installed an optical cable and fixed the TV connection problem. I have not had any electrical problems to speak of (no flashing LEDs like yours) and no leaks. I have washed it several times to check for leaks, the unit seams real tight. I can run everything at one time, all TVs, lights, fridge and the front A/C, not the rear A/C on a 15 amp 115v plug-in.

just a little while ago I turned on the slide lights and the bathroom lights and then turned on the bath fan and no flashing occurred. You probably have a bad ground. Do you lights flash on battery power or shore power?

Paul
Old 06-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #35

to be correct mine flash when they are in the off position and I turn on the fan, the ones in the bathroom and slide room flash than go out. glad you mentioned the tv as my tv nor radio is connected to the surround sound, I thought i just had not figured it out yet. and have not tried the lights when not hooked up to shore power.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:55 AM   #36

Hi Bob,

I just went out and tried it like you state. My bath and slide lights flash for just a second also. Never noticed that before, interesting! They all must be on the same circuit.

Also make sure your subwoofer is working. Mine never has.

I am dragging mine to Knoxville tomorrow to meet a driver from the factory who will take it back to the factory for a complete repaint. They will need it about 6 weeks. I did pick up my Sony tablet and router yesterday, but have not opened the box.

Paul
Old 06-02-2013, 07:39 AM   #37

sorry about the repaint, hope you are happy, Topeka Graphics really does not do a fantastic job, this is my 4th forest river product in 4 years with full body paint and none of them look any better than what I saw on yours. Why did they not pick it up at your house? they came to me for my motorhome when Giant said they had had enough of it and could do no more. As far as sub woofer make sure it is turned on with the blueray menu, mine were all turned off, guess Giant does not prep, that.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #38

Yes, so far we're very happy with it. They told me that they have a new custom paint shop painting these units now and thats where mine is going. We'll see what happens! As to the return, they didn't have another truck coming this way until week after next and I didn't want to wait so I offered to take it up to the Knoxville dealer and drop it off as they will have a truck there on Tuesday. Plus I have business up there this week so it worked out. Plus I wanted to see how everything travels on a long trip, maybe something else I need to put on the repair list!

As to the subwoofer, where is the blue ray menu? I have been on the surround sound menu and have everything turned on but the sub still does not work.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #39

dont have my trailer here as it is in for warranty work, but if you pull out the soy blue ray book it will show you how to do it, the tv acts like a display and shows all the speakers in an animated room, you go to each speaker and adjust the output. hope that makes sense, as far as paint, I checked mine over fairly close and other than the usual orange peel on the dark colors it seems to be on par with most, what did you find wrong with yours? I looked at all the tape they had on yours last week and did not find any glaring paint flaws, there were some flaws but did not seem that bad to my 60 year old eyes. But than again this is my 4th painted FR product, maybe i just don't expect that much based on previous experience.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #40

The paint has peeled in two areas mostly. One spot is directly under the windshield (about the size of a 50 cent piece) and the other is on the rain gutter over the awning, peeled about a 12 inch strip. Both happened when I was using a garden hose and washing it. The other areas are overspray and where they tried to buff off the overspray and burnt the paint. Some of the areas are where they have spotted in some paint and cleared it but left a sharp tape line instead of feathering the clear and when you wax it the wax sticks to it.

The guys at GRW saw it before I said anything and said they weren't fixing it, its going back to the factory for paint. Said its the most expensive travel trailer they have ever sold and the paint should be perfect and the factory guy agreed with them and as they say, that was that. I cannot complain with the effort GRW and FR has put in to make the unit right. So far I have to say its been a good experience even with the problems.

Had this been 20 years ago, someone would have been eating this trailer already with my attorneys, but I guess with age I'm more willing to give everyone a chance to make things right. Its much easier than getting nasty, so lets see what they can do. Brian (FR) seems like a really nice honest guy and for some reason I seem to believe in what he says and the guys at GRW couldn't be better.

As much as we have enjoyed owning the unit so far, I hope this doesn't ruin our first RV purchase!