Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2018, 11:50 AM   #1

2014 30DS adding Satellite?

Has anyone added a satellite dish? The local shop wants almost $3k to install a Dish Travler to our 2014 30DS. We have the antenna up there now but on our big trips the wife wants to be able to keep up on her shows yes I know it's a vacation but happy wife, happy life right... I'm no stranger to running wires as I built custom boats for over 10 years but how involved is running wires down from the roof on one of these? I can find my way around a boat pretty good, but this is my first RV. The wife is all for dropping it off on Tuesday and just paying for it, but with my background I'd kick myself for not at least trying t do it myself first
ARS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:32 PM   #2

start easy with a simple portable KingTailgater or DishPlaymaker type automatic antenna with DISH... it is powered thru the coax cable, so no other power is needed. The receiver can be placed anywhere in your coach, or at the outside tv, and HDMI cable connects it to your TV if you want to view the HD channels(yes!). A simple coax cable is all you need from the portable antenna to the receiver, simple.

You can place portable antennas anywhere you like, or need to, to best 'see' the 3 satellites(southwest/west in the sky). You can even temporarily mount it on your rear roof, in easy reach of the ladder.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARS1 View Post
Has anyone added a satellite dish? The local shop wants almost $3k to install a Dish Travler to our 2014 30DS. We have the antenna up there now but on our big trips the wife wants to be able to keep up on her shows yes I know it's a vacation but happy wife, happy life right... I'm no stranger to running wires as I built custom boats for over 10 years but how involved is running wires down from the roof on one of these? I can find my way around a boat pretty good, but this is my first RV. The wife is all for dropping it off on Tuesday and just paying for it, but with my background I'd kick myself for not at least trying t do it myself first

Trav’ler isn’t a hard Install. It’s actually pretty simple. I did one by myself on my last trailer. The only reason why I had the dealer install it when I purchased the 32DS was because it would be covered under my extended warranty.
alexchuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:50 PM   #4

I did this myself on my 2014 30DS and it was pretty straight forward. I posted instructions on this site a few years back. I will try to find them and repost. The cabling is straight forward, do not use any existing cabling.
wolfgang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 12:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARS1 View Post
I have a swm3 dish and receiver. I put a coax hookup right next to the cable tv hookup in the storage bin for the electric hookups. I ran the cable up through the floor in the bedroom, behind the drawers and up through the wall into the space behind the bedroom TV. I have the power injector box there and the set top box in the space below the TV. I run the HDMI cable to an amplified splitter. One line to the bedroom TV and two long HDMI lines run through the door, through the vehicle frame and up through floor into the space behind the awning switch. One of the two goes to each tv. Since the remote uses RF it controls the receiver from inside or outside of the coach. Works great.
PhotoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, lite, satellite