Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2019, 06:31 PM   #1

2015 Fr3 DS30 Manual Extension for living room slide

So my slide won't go out.
My bedroom slide goes out great.

I've tested all my batteries and they are good.

The switch on the main panel makes a sound and power is getting to the living room slide.

The slide is all the way in so getting to the wooden face to remove it is a pain in the ass.

Is there a way to manually expand it out?

I replaced the slide out gearbox last year (BAL 25076-1) and it doesn't sound like the gears. Maybe the controller?

Some context. When it first happened, the slide went out half way when I was cleaning, but not back in. I reset the breaker box and the slide came back in.

Next day, I plugged the RV into shore power, extended the slide all the way, cleaned the unit and then retracted all the way in and drove home.

Next day, slide went out and then wouldn't come back in. Tried the breaker box, nothing. Then turned on my GoPower 2000 watt sine wave converter and was able to retract it back in.

Now, no matter if I'm plugged into shore power, generator on or off, sine wave on/off... Nothing. It's retracted and not budging a centimeter.

Anyone else have this issue?
gomatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:16 PM   #2

I’ve had slides not move with weak batteries, but you say yours checked good so I don’t know. The only way to manually expand it out is by accessing the motor and using your drill and the flexible bit.
leisurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by leisurelarry View Post
I’ve had slides not move with weak batteries, but you say yours checked good so I don’t know. The only way to manually expand it out is by accessing the motor and using your drill and the flexible bit.
That's what I was afraid of. The motor is impossible to get to when the slide is in.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomatthew View Post
That's what I was afraid of. The motor is impossible to get to when the slide is in.

Well very difficult to say the least! I just tried reaching over the top of my closed main slide and can reach all three screw head points required to access the motor. One time I had to manually bring in my main slide out in Death Valley with a drill and flexible bit. It was difficult but I did it. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0885.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	209487
Old 07-09-2019, 10:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Well very difficult to say the least! I just tried reaching over the top of my closed main slide and can reach all three screw head points required to access the motor. One time I had to manually bring in my main slide out in Death Valley with a drill and flexible bit. It was difficult but I did it. Attachment 209487
Know where I can order one of those flexible bits? Can't seem to find mine.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Please read my thread from last year.
Stuck in my Driveway with a dead living room slide motor
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:07 AM   #7

Quote:

You might try a search for BAL Accuslide parts. It’s their motor, I don’t know if the flexible bit is actually part of their product line or not. I received 2 of them when I bought my rig, 1 for each slide I presume.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:59 PM   #8

just had mine quit while out on our trip home last weekend. a pain to say the least even out. many people said they had the flex bit in the owners pack, but not me. lucky i had a drill and a robertson bit that did the trick. going to shop friday. they need to come up with a better way.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:56 PM   #9

Quote:

The switch on the main panel makes a sound and power is getting to the living room slide.

The slide is all the way in so getting to the wooden face to remove it is a pain in the ass.

I replaced the slide out gearbox last year (BAL 25076-1) and it doesn't sound like the gears. Maybe the controller?

Some context. When it first happened, the slide went out half way when I was cleaning, but not back in. I reset the breaker box and the slide came back in.

Next day, I plugged the RV into shore power, extended the slide all the way, cleaned the unit and then retracted all the way in and drove home.

Next day, slide went out and then wouldn't come back in. Tried the breaker box, nothing. Then turned on my GoPower 2000 watt sine wave converter and was able to retract it back in.

Now, no matter if I'm plugged into shore power, generator on or off, sine wave on/off... Nothing. It's retracted and not budging a centimeter.

Bit is a #3 Robertson. Flex shaft is available at most automotive stores.

Thinking your problem is electrical before the slide motor. Bad switch? try by passing switch and see what happens, expose switch and put jumper wire between terminals, next, expose connections right next to motor and gear box and see if they are all tight. This is what you need to do first.

Hard to reach up in there for sure, not sure my arms are long enough for that but it can be done as mentioned in previous post.

Also check the slack in the cables, seeing as how your slide is in reach around the sides of the slide and feel if all four cables, two on top of sides left and right, and two on bottom of sides, left and right, they should be a little slack. If not you may have a cable pulley problem.

Hope you find the easy fix. Good luck!
Old 07-10-2019, 10:09 PM   #10

Quote:
You might try a search for BAL Accuslide parts. It’s their motor, I don’t know if the flexible bit is actually part of their product line or not. I received 2 of them when I bought my rig, 1 for each slide I presume.
They placed both my flex bits in the fridge (2 slides) on my new purchase. I had no idea what they were for. Almost took them out and put them in my tool box thinking they had something to do with the fridge. Wasn't until I was on this forum and learned what they were for. Not much good unless you have the drill anyway. Just goes to show how poorly these dealers do the pre-delivery.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:30 AM   #11

I have a 2015 FR3 30DS and just had the exact thing happen. After reading posts on this forum, it turned out to be only a loose wire connector. Right by the slide motor where each wire connects to another, those connections are cheap and wear out easily. I simply wiggled each one until I found the bad one and replaced it. To be safe, I replaced them all.
depmgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboo camper View Post
Bit is a #3 Robertson. Flex shaft is available at most automotive stores.

Thinking your problem is electrical before the slide motor. Bad switch? try by passing switch and see what happens, expose switch and put jumper wire between terminals, next, expose connections right next to motor and gear box and see if they are all tight. This is what you need to do first.
Welp... there's purple fluid coming from the seems of the gearbox leaking out. So I guess that means it's the gearbox again. The left side of the cables had a lot of slack in them so I'm thinking it was due to a lack of attention on my part.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Welp... there's purple fluid coming from the seems of the gearbox leaking out. So I guess that means it's the gearbox again. The left side of the cables had a lot of slack in them so I'm thinking it was due to a lack of attention on my part.

I’m very sorry to hear that. Your so right, those cables if they aren’t adjusted properly will tear up the gearbox actuator very quickly. I check mine every trip now and don’t hesitate to drop the fascia trim if they need adjusting. Also the new upgraded gearbox actuators have a more heavy duty seam and a redesigned casing. When you order make sure the serial number is starts with 180xxxxxx or above to get the new ones. My picture shows old gear box above new gear box. After my last gear box actuator replacement I ordered a motor, frame and gearbox from Amazon to have in reserve. Also the new gearbox actuator will not fit properly into the old frame. Make sure it comes with the frame.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0889.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	209611
Old 07-11-2019, 10:18 PM   #14

Quote:
You have maybe done this but worth a mention. Google Bal Accuslide and you will find a manual for adjusting cables.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:05 PM   #15

Quote:

Have you tried reprogramming the slide control? There is a procedure for that issue. I had to download that procedure off the web and have used it a couple of times. Check your manual for that procedure.
bootsthecat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fr3, manual, roo, slide