Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2018, 02:58 PM   #1

2017 fr3 won't start

hi all
well I went to start my motorhome and it would not start. checked batteries and they are fine. lights on dash go on, but no crank was so ever. it doesn't make a sound when I try to turn the ignition. even tried to put transmission into neutral and try to start it, but transmission is locked in park.
need help and any advice
Nsopti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 05:59 PM   #2

A few questions- when was the last time you ran the motor home? And when you say “checked the batteries “ did you put a volt meter to it in the front?

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 06:03 PM   #3

hi
I ran the motorhome 2 hours before it wouldn't start. I even just bought a brand new battery for the engine, hoping that my old one just didn't have enough power, but it did not work, still no crank. I have no idea what could be wrong.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:17 PM   #4

I would start looking at connections from the battery to the starter and to ground there is probaly one that is a dirty connection
1994 coachman class A
2005 3100SS sunseeker class c
Fkrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:42 PM   #5

not starting

Check to see if slide-outs in and jacks are up.
overeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:55 PM   #6

Probably bad connection at the battery posts. I have seen this occur before when new batteries are installed.
yensidcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:04 PM   #7

Locked in Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsopti View Post
hi all
well I went to start my motorhome and it would not start. checked batteries and they are fine. lights on dash go on, but no crank was so ever. it doesn't make a sound when I try to turn the ignition. even tried to put transmission into neutral and try to start it, but transmission is locked in park.
need help and any advice
For safety, new vehicles won't come out of Park unless the brake pedal is depressed. They use the same signal that lights the rear brake lights. Dead battery = no brake lights = no getting out of Park.

Quick test: turn on the headlights. If they don't come on, there's a bad connection from the battery or (possibly) the battery suddenly developed an open cell.

Larry
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:15 PM   #8

hi everyone
thank you for the responses.
as soon as i turn the key, the headlights go on( I believe the rv is equipped with daytime running lights). when turn the key to crank, the lights go off. when I bring back the key to the opposition, lights go back on. even while having the emergency brake pressed, i can't shift out of park. I have checked all connections and they good.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:23 PM   #9

today , i put a booster on one of the house batteries. and somehow it started. I drove it for about 45minutes, went and parked it. tried to start it immediately after I turned it off, and it will not start again. I am completely frustrated. I tried putting a booster on the house batteries, and nothing. I am pretty sure that the house batteries have no effect on engine battery starting, but i just wanted to wing it anyway. I have no idea what is going on. I have had this rv for a year it really has functioned excellent. I have no clue what it could be.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:25 PM   #10

Seriously I have had this similar thing happen on my Honda van. Take the battery connectors off and wire brush the terminals and the connectors. You can get enough current to light a bulb but not enough to turn a starter. You may have a different problem but this is cheap and easy to try.
yensidcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:28 PM   #11

Had a similar problem and it was a loose wire at the start relay. It would start sometimes when I wiggled the relay.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:30 PM   #12
Kanadian Kamper

A few tests, but you need a voltmeter.

Voltage of battery at rest?
Voltage as key turned to “on” but not started?
Voltage as turned to start?
Voltage as key returned to “on”?
Voltage of battery at rest?

Do the wipers, heater controls, turn indicators, horn, hazards......all work?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:14 AM   #13

Next time you are out,,, buy your self a Battery Post cleaning tool !!!
It is a must have tool !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 03:35 PM   #14

Angry

I had the same thing happen to me on a 115 degree day in California on the way back from a 2 week trip...was stuck for 24 hours. Open the fuse box located in the engine compartment and push all of the fuses in until they are properly seated. One the fuses caused the issue, but not sure which one was the issue. In fact, at least half of the fuses in that fuse block needed to be pushed in farther.
CubsWS2016 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fr3