Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2022, 10:38 PM   #1

2018 FR3 30DS Flat Tow Ford F150??

Hi,

New here, and new to the motorcoach world! Have had travel trailers in the past.

Trying to figure out what my options are for towing a vehicle behind our 2018 FR3 30DS.

I have a 2017 Ford F150 Lariat Super Crew 6.5' box Fx4 that I am pretty sure can be flat towed (need to confirm that for sure), however I need to figure out if I can even do it based on maximum capacities etc.,

I am sure this has been discussed somewhere, but hoping I can get an accurate assessment here.

The curb weight of the F150 is apparently 4,894 lbs and the Gross weight is 7,050 lbs. Likely this is super close??

It would be my understanding that I am more worried about the curb weight and that i would appear I might be good as it is under the 5,000 lbs threshold, however I am certain it isn't that easy. Have to add the weight of the flat bar tow setup and whether the coach will be full of fluids etc., etc.,

I was pretty convinced that I was going to buy an aluminum trailer and stick a car on it, but if the F150 can be setup, that would be nice!

Just want to be sure I do this correctly and make sure it is the safest way to do it etc.,

Looking forward to any insight and input people have!

Thanks,

Mathew
Mat30ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 11:05 PM   #2
Site Team

Moved thread to the FR3 sub-forum since the OP is asking for information about towing a F150 with a FR3 model.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 11:09 PM   #3

My guess is your truck is most likely 5200 to 5400 pounds not including any ad-ons like a cap, bed cover, tools you carry, ect. I am guessing this because it’s a Lariat FX4, the bling adds weight. It would be best to get the truck weighed then you will know for sure!
Webefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 06:21 AM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

We had our 35’ Georgetown for 10 years, and flat towed a Pontiac G6, and then a GMC Terrain. Both of which are well under the towing weight of your F150.
My Georgetown had the V10 with the 5 speed transmission, and I suspect yours has the 6 speed.

If it can be done within limits, you’ll be real close for power limits of the V10.
You’ll certainly know you’re towing something.
I’ve seen other V10s towing that size, so I guess it can be done, but it won’t leave much in reserve for hills.
We chose our daily driver to be a smaller vehicle than your F150, and I can guess you need that vehicle as opposed to another tow only vehicle.

Good luck, but do the weight calculations.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 07:01 AM   #5

I just completed my 1st long trip towing my F150 behind my motorhome, we went from Maryland up to New Hampshire. I have a 2019 F150 super crew 4x4 sport, short bed truck and a 2015 FR3 30DS. The truck towed just fine behind the motorhome and tracked perfectly, it tracked and towed better than the 2006 Dodge Dakota pick-up it replaced. Hills were only a problem on one stretch of a state road in Vermont, my speed dropped to 23 mph and the engine was tacked at 5000 rpm but that was ok because I was in the middle of a pack of tractor-trailers doing the same long slow haul up that hill. On all of the Interstate highway hills and inclines the motorhome did just fine maintaining speed at between 60 and 65 mile per hour. My gas mileage ran between 6.3 mpg and 6.9 mpg. That was the test run for my new toed setup and I am completely happy with it.
colmbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 10:40 PM   #6

Thanks for the answers and replies!

Interesting Colmbarry on the F150 pull. I was thinking I was going to reachout to my Ford dealership people for their input and will likely take the truck and get it weighed to be sure how much it actually weighs.

I am leaning towards an aluminum trailer hopefully in the 1250 - 1500 lbs weight and add a car onto that. Leaves a lot more flexibility for what we can bring with us in the future. However, even at that weight of the trailer, adding a mid-size car (my daughters 2011 BMW 328ixdrive) to it will creep towards the 5k weight in a hurry. However I think we will be in the 4600 - 4800 lbs.

Mat
Old 08-30-2022, 05:30 AM   #7
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat30ds View Post
Thanks for the answers and replies!

Interesting Colmbarry on the F150 pull. I was thinking I was going to reachout to my Ford dealership people for their input and will likely take the truck and get it weighed to be sure how much it actually weighs.

I am leaning towards an aluminum trailer hopefully in the 1250 - 1500 lbs weight and add a car onto that. Leaves a lot more flexibility for what we can bring with us in the future. However, even at that weight of the trailer, adding a mid-size car (my daughters 2011 BMW 328ixdrive) to it will creep towards the 5k weight in a hurry. However I think we will be in the 4600 - 4800 lbs.

Mat
Everyone that needs a toad, does it differently. Flat tow, dolly tow, trailer tow.
A lot depends on how often you tow, what you need from your tow, what vehicle you have to tow, where to store it and more.

Just be aware…..it will also depend on the type of campground you go to. Quite often, your RV, toad, AND TRAILER……May not fit on your site. Some campgrounds will require you to put your trailer at another location in the campground…..and there may another charge.

The process of flat towing is hands down, the simplest towing system. Just look at the majority of those who do tow. Your posting asked about towing an F150 behind your FR3 so you’re not going to hear from others about alternative methods to bringing another set of wheels along.

Good luck with your decision.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 07:50 PM   #8

Just thought that I would add that I towed my 2019 F150 FX4 behind the 2019 FR3 without issue. I was aware of how close we were to the 5000 lb hitch rating, so always made sure that the fuel tank was under 1/4 full (full tank is about 5% of the truck's total weight!), and didn't load up the bed with supplies. The only time we saw issues with hills was when I forgot to use the tow/haul mode on the transmission. Then it would hunt through the gears which sounded awful! Towed several thousand miles without any apparent problems.
AHTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 06:20 PM   #9

AHTX --- wondering if you have any pictures of your setup and whether you could share what tow/bar system you used?

I am now leaning back towards doing this vs. the full trailer setup.

Thanks!!
Old 09-27-2022, 11:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat30ds View Post
AHTX --- wondering if you have any pictures of your setup and whether you could share what tow/bar system you used?

I am now leaning back towards doing this vs. the full trailer setup.

Thanks!!
I can't see any pictures at the moment, but it wasn't anything unusual. We got the Blue Ox tow bars (Avail was the model, I think - the one with brown paint, 10,000lb rating).

On the F150, there is a Blue Ox base plate that bolts to the chassis, replaces the front tow loops with the tow pins. I was concerned with the braking being reliable, so I went with the Demco system which has a hydraulic (maybe pneumatic?) ram permanently connected to the brake pedal. This seemed more robust that the system that sits on the vehicle floor, but I'm not an expert!

We had a Tow shop fit everything, and as I recall it was roughly $750 for the tow bar, $1000 for the base plate on the F150 and then about $1900 for the Demco brake system. Add another couple of hundred dollars for wiring things - so the brake lights and signals work on the truck, instead of having to add a separate light bar, and the battery is charged when driving to avoid dead battery on arrival. Right around $4,000 total.

I'm assuming that you know that you can only flat tow an F150 with 4 wheel drive.
AHTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 02:06 PM   #11

Hi,

Thanks for the information and details! Greatly appreciated!

I have the FX4 as well so all good there!

Mat

Tags
f150, ford, fr3, tow