Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2020, 03:07 PM   #1

2019 fr3 30ds

Have been "camping" since 1967, then we changed and started calling it RV-ing around the 90's I think. Have owned them all from tents, tent campers, truck campers, travel trailers, fifth wheels and diesel pushers. Never owned a B or a C. Age and grown up kids and grandkids we decided to downsize and traded a 40' Newmar in on the current FR3 30DS. Wow, what a change!! From a quiet drive at 65 MPH to a 55 MPH having to shout at one another to talk. Must do something. Just completed our maiden voyage of 5,065 miles round trip to the ranch we owned in Montana to spread the ashes of my hired hand over the ranch -- Jake, an Australian Shepherd. Could not have run the ranch without him, I owed him that.
I must do something about the noise of the engine. Does anyone know what the max RPM is for the V-10, manual does not give. Didn't take me long to learn how to control the revs on those steep climbs, and definitely not in cruise control. Sure do miss my engine brake on the pusher for thoise 6-7% downgrades LO. But experienced enough of a driver to handle them ok. But for anyone not experienced enough, best to learn how on smaller grades before venturing out west so you do not burn up brake pads.
Am having a problem with the front AC leaking water onto the LR floor. Dealer says it's my responsibility to make sure the outside drains are clean. Really, on a brand new rig? Never ever have I had that problem with all the many roof AC's I have owned and operated.
Anyway, have several other issues/questions with the FR3, but will save for a later post. Thanks folks, and happy RV-ing, and for pete's sake, stay safe!!
JimBath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:49 AM   #2

Dynamat or similar on inside of engine cover and firewall.
Insulstion or pillow stuffing in the front cap area above drivers (drop down bunk area).
Make sure your dog house cover is tight...its latches are adjustable.

And the weep holes on the side front windows if you cover cuts a lot of noise.

Sure ive missed something..but thats for starters. Was a thread on the dynamat not to long ago....easy to install and really helps quiet the noise from engine area.

As for the downhills..i just use the tow mode and tap the brakes once or twice to set down hill speed and then let the engine braking take care of it. Its in the Ford owners manual..works fantastic for me...even when towing heavy trailer.
KY25DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 12:00 PM   #3

All of the above

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY25DS View Post
Dynamat or similar on inside of engine cover and firewall.
Insulstion or pillow stuffing in the front cap area above drivers (drop down bunk area).
Make sure your dog house cover is tight...its latches are adjustable.

And the weep holes on the side front windows if you cover cuts a lot of noise.

Sure ive missed something..but thats for starters. Was a thread on the dynamat not to long ago....easy to install and really helps quiet the noise from engine area.

As for the downhills..i just use the tow mode and tap the brakes once or twice to set down hill speed and then let the engine braking take care of it. Its in the Ford owners manual..works fantastic for me...even when towing heavy trailer.
All of the above plus Timbren springs also reduced the noise and improved the ride
Rick g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:38 PM   #4

I have talked to several people in the know regarding these engines, because I own one too.

The power band on the Triton V-10 is 3500 to 5000 RPM, it sounds like you are trying to destroy your engine, but that is the sweat spot on these engines.

The other big complaint with these engines is that they tend to run out or run low on oil. Because of the higher revs, engine oil is actually atomized and burned.
If you own a Triton V-10, check your oil often. I do.

I have been told that Ford has had so much flack regarding the noise, oil issues & high revs that they are considering discontinuing the platform & going back to a big V-8.

Just 2 Cents worth of information that I have picked up on my journeys.

I would love to hear something direct from Ford? Perhaps someone in the forum?
Ready2BRetiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2BRetiree View Post
I have talked to several people in the know regarding these engines, because I own one too.

The power band on the Triton V-10 is 3500 to 5000 RPM, it sounds like you are trying to destroy your engine, but that is the sweat spot on these engines.

The other big complaint with these engines is that they tend to run out or run low on oil. Because of the higher revs, engine oil is actually atomized and burned.
If you own a Triton V-10, check your oil often. I do.

I have been told that Ford has had so much flack regarding the noise, oil issues & high revs that they are considering discontinuing the platform & going back to a big V-8.

Just 2 Cents worth of information that I have picked up on my journeys.

I would love to hear something direct from Ford? Perhaps someone in the forum?
Well, I don’t know if it’s for the reasons you gave, but the 7.3 liter V8 engine is now the current offering in the F53 chassis, on which the FR3 is built.

The Ford website describes the current product here: https://www.ford.com/commercial-truc...f53-motorhome/

Tags
fr3