Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2021, 01:25 PM   #1
Retired Panpsychist

2021 FR3 30DS Questions

We are planning to move from a TT/TV setup to a Class A in the near future. Unfortunately, we have not been able to find an unsold 2021 FR3 30DS on a lot near us that dealers will allow us to closely inspect and drive.

We have some questions about the 2021 model that we hope you wouldn't mind answering for us until we can get our hands on one.

1. Has the F53 chassis with the V8 engine been given a 5-speed or 6-speed transmission?

2. We noticed a single water heater switch. Does it use propane or electricity (or both)?

3. Can the TV above the sink be swiveled left and right or is it fixed?

4. What is the width of the opening (not the interior) of the pantry cubbies?

5. Can the pocket door for the bedroom/bath area be latched when closed or does it just rest against the wall?

6. When the theater seating is reclined, do the seat backs tilt back when the footrests are extended?

Thanks in advance for tolerating our bothersome questions. We are told that a dealer near us will get at least one 30DS by the end of this month, though we're not sure if it will be a 2021 or 2022.

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 02:54 PM   #2

We bought our 2021 FR3 30DS in October 2020. We love it!!

1. 6 speed
2. It uses both electricity and propane. The inside panel has both options, but you must turn the electrical element on outside at the water heater if you want electrical to work with electric selected inside. Be aware that you can quickly burn out the electrical element if there isn't water in there...
3. The TV is fixed and lifts up to open the storage space behind it. We thought this might be an issue and even considered putting in a swivel, but actually the TV is easily viewed from anywhere in the coach (theater seats, dinette, drivers seat, and in the loft (grandkids are happy).
4. The width of the pantry I believe is 8". I made two slide out shelves since they are really deep and narrow so that we could reach stuff we stored in there and we couldn't find a slide out that was narrow enough to fit.
5. The pocket door has a latch, but not a lock, to hold it both open and closed. The bathroom door also swings open to clip into a "lock" to close off the bedroom from the bath while in use if you like.
6. The theater seats nearly lay flat.

I hope you get yours soon!!
B2testnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 03:10 PM   #3
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2testnav View Post
We bought our 2021 FR3 30DS in October 2020. We love it!!

1. 6 speed
2. It uses both electricity and propane. The inside panel has both options, but you must turn the electrical element on outside at the water heater if you want electrical to work with electric selected inside. Be aware that you can quickly burn out the electrical element if there isn't water in there...
3. The TV is fixed and lifts up to open the storage space behind it. We thought this might be an issue and even considered putting in a swivel, but actually the TV is easily viewed from anywhere in the coach (theater seats, dinette, drivers seat, and in the loft (grandkids are happy).
4. The width of the pantry I believe is 8". I made two slide out shelves since they are really deep and narrow so that we could reach stuff we stored in there and we couldn't find a slide out that was narrow enough to fit.
5. The pocket door has a latch, but not a lock, to hold it both open and closed. The bathroom door also swings open to clip into a "lock" to close off the bedroom from the bath while in use if you like.
6. The theater seats nearly lay flat.

I hope you get yours soon!!
Thanks for the extremely fast and detailed answers!

We'll be trading-in the vehicles in our signature (keeping the dog) so we're hoping the wait won't be to our disadvantage. F-150 has only 26,000 miles.

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:32 PM   #4

Regarding #2, I just checked my'21 FR3 30DS and the water heater switch inside is an on-off switch that starts the propane heating option only. To use electric one must go outside and use the 20 year old technology to start the electric heating element (remove exterior cover and actuate switch).

Maybe there was a mid year change, or more likely a water heater availability issue that caused this difference. Just be aware when you check out a unit.

John C
JOhn_R_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 05:40 PM   #5

My 30DS only has the inside propane switch. It’s a 2021 also
Mtn.Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 04:46 PM   #6

Mine is a propane switch inside and electric switch outside similar to JOhn R C. It's a 2021.5 30DS delivered in early May.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	heater.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	261599  
fuzzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 06:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOhn_R_C View Post
Regarding #2, I just checked my'21 FR3 30DS and the water heater switch inside is an on-off switch that starts the propane heating option only. To use electric one must go outside and use the 20 year old technology to start the electric heating element (remove exterior cover and actuate switch).

Maybe there was a mid year change, or more likely a water heater availability issue that caused this difference. Just be aware when you check out a unit.

John C
Actually there is a modern technology solution to turning the electric element off or on....the breaker in the power panel!

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 08:55 PM   #8

Sorry if I caused confusion on #2. Mine is the same as your's Fuzzball. Electric switch outside. My inside panel is marked Elec and Gas. Like yours, the electric doesn't work unless the switch inside matches the switch outside. My experience burning out the electric element happened when I thought that the heater was off (not using propane) using the inside switch while on 50A without turning off the outside switch and draining the water. Oops. This was never a problem on my previous 5th wheel and Class C...but, live and learn. It is for situations like this that we fly with checklists.
Old 08-25-2021, 08:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Sorry if I caused confusion on #2. Mine is the same as your's Fuzzball. Electric switch outside. My inside panel is marked Elec and Gas. Like yours, the electric doesn't work unless the switch inside matches the switch outside. My experience burning out the electric element happened when I thought that the heater was off (not using propane) using the inside switch while on 50A without turning off the outside switch and draining the water. Oops. This was never a problem on my previous 5th wheel and Class C...but, live and learn. It is for situations like this that we fly with checklists.
I don't have access to my rig right now. I don't remember a control inside to turn the heater on and off if on electric. I just assumed it stayed on until you went outside and turned it off. As many pictures as I've taken of this thing I don't have a picture of that indoor control panel. Could you post a pic? Or does the water heater on/off switch inside control it no matter what the heating source is?
Old 08-25-2021, 08:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzball View Post
I don't have access to my rig right now. I don't remember a control inside to turn the heater on and off if on electric. I just assumed it stayed on until you went outside and turned it off. As many pictures as I've taken of this thing I don't have a picture of that indoor control panel. Could you post a pic? Or does the water heater on/off switch inside control it no matter what the heating source is?
Mine has separate switches at the control panel for gas vs electric. You can use either/or or both. I assume the electric switch has no effect if the one on the water heater itself is off.

Edit: That's a non-FR3 response to an FR3 question, but water heaters are pretty generic.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 08:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Any chance you could post a picture of your inside panel. All I remember on mine is a single on/off switch for the water heater. Don't remember a gas/electric selector.
Old 08-25-2021, 08:56 PM   #12

This is from the FR3 website. My panel looks exactly like this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	panel.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	261681  
Old 08-26-2021, 10:48 AM   #13

Mine too!! I guess the switch is a gas switch. I don't know if when off it then activates the electric switch outside. Regardless, if you have the electric switch on (outside) with power applied and drain your tank the element will burn out.

Since you posted the pic I slide can't figure out from the markings which switch direction turns on and off the Arctic PAC. Is UP always ON?
Old 08-26-2021, 10:52 AM   #14
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Mine too!! I guess the switch is a gas switch. I don't know if when off it then activates the electric switch outside. Regardless, if you have the electric switch on (outside) with power applied and drain your tank the element will burn out.

Since you posted the pic I slide can't figure out from the markings which switch direction turns on and off the Arctic PAC. Is UP always ON?
For the switches on the panel, Up is ON.
The water heater switch controls the gas operation ONLY.

However, the electric switch inside the water heater shown a couple of posts back from mine here, is the opposite. Down is ON.

These two water heater switches work independently of each other.

Gotta love it.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 02:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
For the switches on the panel, Up is ON.
The water heater switch controls the gas operation ONLY.

However, the electric switch inside the water heater shown a couple of posts back from mine here, is the opposite. Down is ON.

These two water heater switches work independently of each other.

Gotta love it.
On my panel inside the FR3 down is on on all the heating and pump switches. As far as the system operating what you said is exactly how I heard it worked. With electric switch "on" on the water heater it stays on and keeps the water hot just like leaving the red panel switch on all the time and water being always hot with propane. Biggest pain when stuck with electric only is having to go outside to turn the heater off. I plan on checking all of this when I get back to my rig in a few weeks.
Old 08-27-2021, 02:33 PM   #16

Quote:
On my panel inside the FR3 down is on on all the heating and pump switches. As far as the system operating what you said is exactly how I heard it worked. With electric switch "on" on the water heater it stays on and keeps the water hot just like leaving the red panel switch on all the time and water being always hot with propane. Biggest pain when stuck with electric only is having to go outside to turn the heater off. I plan on checking all of this when I get back to my rig in a few weeks.
Turn off the breaker on the 110 volt panel. S/B a breaker labelled HW Heater.

2015 335DS
Old 08-27-2021, 02:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
Turn off the breaker on the 110 volt panel. S/B a breaker labelled HW Heater.
Thanks. Haven't even had that panel open yet. I'll look when I get back in a couple weeks. Great idea.
Old 08-27-2021, 02:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Thanks. Haven't even had that panel open yet. I'll look when I get back in a couple weeks. Great idea.
Now, it might seem redundant to have two switches. However, I turn the outside switch off when not using the RV since it is really easy to forget it is on and then you winterize and drain the heater...while plugged in! Heater will be blown in 5 seconds!

Outside switch is nice to have.

2015 335DS

Tags
2021, fr3, question, questions