Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2020, 08:08 PM   #1
GWL
Renegade Valencia 38RB

2021 RR3 34DS Sirius Radio & antenna install

Getting organized and set up for our first outing. Today installed the antenna for the Sirius/XM radio. My unit came with a Pioneer radio that said SIRIUS on it, but after putting on my glasses and getting the light just right I see the tiny word “ready” under Sirius. The tech at the dealer says the radio is ready for Sirius but needs a tuner and tells me to go on Amazon and buy the Sirius XM SXV300v1 tuner kit for $43. This kit comes with a small tuner and an antenna with 23’ wire. When that comes in I remove the 6 screws holding on the panel that the radio is mounted to and pull out the panel. LOTS of wires, put enough room to get to the back of the radio and plug in the tuner, then plug the antenna in. I set the antenna on the dash to test it. (I’m leaving out the part about getting the radio set up, but the 1st step is tuning to channel 0 to get the radio number before calling Sirius). I find the reception is dependent on where I locate the antenna so call the tech and he says if the antenna is not located on top of the rv it will have trouble sometimes when facing north (when antenna on the dash). He says just run the antenna wire behind some molding, DRILL a hole in the roof, seal it up and done deal...well there is no way that is going to happen so I start looking for ways to get the wire out of the cockpit. The 23’ length is enough to get out and run up the exterior and mount the little hockey puck on the roof. The plug on the anenna wire is a little less than 1/2” and the wire is about the size of spaghetti. To make a long story a little less long I find a small gap betwwen two pieces if metal behind the accelerator pedal. I drilled a 1/2” hole through the gap, then threaded the antenna plug through the hole from the engine side. There is enough wire to route the wire up the exterior to the roof. I silicone the antenna puck to the roof and silicon the wire to a small channel that runs vertically from bottom to top. Radio works fine and no drilling through the roof!
I’ve read where some units have the antenna wire alread installed but I could not find one and the tech from the dealer said there was not one. As much as these units cost and they include a “Sirius Ready” radio why not run the antenna and include the $40 tuner?
Sorry to be so wordy but wanted others to know what is involved.
GWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:07 AM   #2

Same issue on my 2019. Stupid that its not standard like my car. My solution was to keep my Sirus subscription on my car and use the Sirus stream feature on my phone, Bluetooth to the speakers.. No radio, no fishing wires no antenna.
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:41 PM   #3

we had the same issue with our 2018 Sunseeker - ready only - as no convenient place to put the stuff required, we haven't done anything. We are not techie folks so don't want to even attempt this. Came with a 6 month free subscription but not much use when it wasn't in the radio already which is standard in most vehicles. Would have been great for long trips.
janice parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 03:37 PM   #4
Captn

I agree with the tech about the antenna on the dash. Mine is mounted there and it cuts out enough that I tune to Pandora
CaptnScott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, radio